Pro monitor 800s for Atmos?

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
I would like to use the pro monitor 800s as ceiling heights for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. First question, would these work well as ceiling speakers? Second, for ceiling speaker, is there enough sound data goin to the speakers that I should buy the pro monitor 1000s instead? Finally are the mounts from definitve strong enough to hold either speaker from the ceiling?
Current 5.1 definitive setup: pro center 1000, sm55 fronts, sr9040 bipolar surrounds, and a pro sub 1000
Any help is appreciated.
-Kyle Braunlich

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I think they’ll be ok. I couldn’t find any dispersion specs but they’re pretty small so just aim them at the LP and you should be fine. While the information sent to height speakers isn’t nearly as much as the bed layer, I don’t think it’s a reason to skimp on speakers. However you DO have them already so use them. Plus, the 1000’s won’t do anything worth mentioning. Since the 800’s only weigh 3lbs I cannot see any reason the brackets won’t work. But get at least one screw into a stud/rafter. Use good screw in anchors for the other holes.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I think they’ll be ok. I couldn’t find any dispersion specs but they’re pretty small so just aim them at the LP and you should be fine. While the information sent to height speakers isn’t nearly as much as the bed layer, I don’t think it’s a reason to skimp on speakers. However you DO have them already so use them. Plus, the 1000’s won’t do anything worth mentioning. Since the 800’s only weigh 3lbs I cannot see any reason the brackets won’t work. But get at least one screw into a stud/rafter. Use good screw in anchors for the other holes.
I actually haven’t got either speaker yet. So if I were to go with the 1000s would hanging them from the ceiling be ok? The 10lb capacity of the pro mount 90 I would think is for wall placement, not sure about hanging from the ceiling.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I actually haven’t got either speaker yet. So if I were to go with the 1000s would hanging them from the ceiling be ok? The 10lb capacity of the pro mount 90 I would think is for wall placement, not sure about hanging from the ceiling.
Well depending on the orientation, I would think it would be an easier load on the bracket hanging from the ceiling. Being wall mounted would place different leverage against it. In any case, I don’t personally think either one will give you troubles. Pretty sure the 10lb “maximum” rating is a super conservative rating so people don’t hang really big speakers or heavy stuff. Still, you’ll need at least one stud to screw into. If you can’t get placement right where you don’t have studs, use screw in anchors, or toggle screws. 7 pounds isn’t that much IMO. FWIW, my old surrounds weighed like 35lbs and we’re wall mounted. If money isn’t a big factor, I might personally spring for the 1000’s. Even though there’s less content, I still think it’s worth keeping the weakest link strong as you can. It sure of your room size, but IMO a subwoofer upgrade is in order too. Curious, any reason to not go with x.x.4? Maybe just getting your feet wet for now? Some atmos is definitely better than no atmos so nice work on moving forward!

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
Well depending on the orientation, I would think it would be an easier load on the bracket hanging from the ceiling. Being wall mounted would place different leverage against it. In any case, I don’t personally think either one will give you troubles. Pretty sure the 10lb “maximum” rating is a super conservative rating so people don’t hang really big speakers or heavy stuff. Still, you’ll need at least one stud to screw into. If you can’t get placement right where you don’t have studs, use screw in anchors, or toggle screws. 7 pounds isn’t that much IMO. FWIW, my old surrounds weighed like 35lbs and we’re wall mounted. If money isn’t a big factor, I might personally spring for the 1000’s. Even though there’s less content, I still think it’s worth keeping the weakest link strong as you can. It sure of your room size, but IMO a subwoofer upgrade is in order too. Curious, any reason to not go with x.x.4? Maybe just getting your feet wet for now? Some atmos is definitely better than no atmos so nice work on moving forward!
The have an x1400h which is a 7.1 which only allows up to 5.2.2. After this upgrade I will do a center upgrade or just save for something really great, like a 7.2.4 system.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s cool. I was just curious. A lot of times when guys hit upgrade mode it’s hard to stop with one thing. You know, “since I’m buying a new CC I think I’ll add 3 more subs!” Lol.

K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
That’s cool. I was just curious. A lot of times when guys hit upgrade mode it’s hard to stop with one thing. You know, “since I’m buying a new CC I think I’ll add 3 more subs!” Lol.
I’m not saying I don’t feel that way. If I could do an upgrade a day I would.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis