SVS 12” vs Hsu 12” / 15” Vs the Dayton ultra max 18”

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Does Hsu ever run sales?
They do from time to time, but the savings aren't tremendous because they already price very competitively. SVS, on the other hand has to build in potential two-way shipping, as well as their offer to upgrade within a year.
we don’t know who makes it for them
Claridy had a hand in the design process... they also designed (in some part) my subs from Outlaw. Shady's review of the Monoliths was pretty good. I'd love to hear [feel] one sometime, but I'm very satisfied with my 2 X-13s! (Another of Shady's reviews!)

At the end of the day... its hard to go wrong with most of the subs that have been discussed, here. VTF3 or 15, Mono 15... or SVS. I think one friend here that has the x-13s and a Hsu, says he loved the mid-bass that the hsu has over the x-13s. I don't have that comparison point, but that being said... last I checked CB was keeping the Hsu, as well as the dual x-13s! ;)

As budget was a stated concern... I'd go Hsu, I think. If you wanted to stretch out a bit, there are others, but I don't think you'd be disappointed. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Audioholics never did a formal review of the VTF15h mk2. Pretty darn good sub though, I have one and I review subs, so here is a short review for you: It's great!
Did you ever cart that out to the field for measurements, Shady? :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did you ever cart that out to the field for measurements, Shady? :D
I will also add that it was the sub that got me thrown off my last test site. It bothered the nearest residence- who were more than 250 feet away!

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
I will also add that it was the sub that got me thrown off my last test site. It bothered the nearest residence- who were more than 250 feet away!
So for movies do you suggest plugging one of the ports?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So for movies do you suggest plugging one of the ports?
Yes. If you end up with any of these variable tuned subs, I would recommend trying out each of the tuning options and keep whatever one you like the most. To be honest, the difference between, say a 16 Hz or a 22 Hz tuning frequency is not all that huge, audibly speaking.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Yes. If you end up with any of these variable tuned subs, I would recommend trying out each of the tuning options and keep whatever one you like the most. To be honest, the difference between, say a 16 Hz or a 22 Hz tuning frequency is not all that huge, audibly speaking.
Ok, I posted my psw 505 forsale on FB see if I get any bites

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
I’ll throw my vote on the SVS pile. I have 2 PB-2000s for my main system I’m very happy with them. That HSU VTF3 mk5 looks like a good value too, I just haven’t heard it myself. Besides the price/specs aspect I like the free shipping (both ways if RMA) and 45 day trial from SVS. Two days ago I decided I wanted to swap the SB-2000 in my second system for another PB-2000, just over 5 minutes in a chat with a rep had me set with a RMA. Maybe 10-15 minutes later I had a shipping label.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
I’ll throw my vote on the SVS pile. I have 2 PB-2000s for my main system I’m very happy with them. That HSU VTF3 mk5 looks like a good value too, I just haven’t heard it myself. Besides the price/specs aspect I like the free shipping (both ways if RMA) and 45 day trial from SVS. Two days ago I decided I wanted to swap the SB-2000 in my second system for another PB-2000, just over 5 minutes in a chat with a rep had me set with a RMA. Maybe 10-15 minutes later I had a shipping label.
Those are really good points,
I just wish SVS had their PB - 3000 at a $1000 price point to really compare it to the Hsu VTF-15H mk2

M

m3incorp

Audioholic Intern
Not necessarily saying it is better. I am saying it is comparable. Monolith doesn't often include it in their sales. Are you actually looking to buy soon or just doing research?

I can sit back and wait for another sale?
So the monolith is better then the hsu?
If so I’ll keep my eyes open and wait for another sale.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Not necessarily saying it is better. I am saying it is comparable. Monolith doesn't often include it in their sales. Are you actually looking to buy soon or just doing research?
Its tax season and I got 3 kids lol,
I’m doing my research as which to purchase when I get the money,

Everyone says your missing out with a psw 505,
So want to hear the sounds that the 505 is failing to pick up,

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Its tax season and I got 3 kids lol,
I’m doing my research as which to purchase when I get the money,

Everyone says your missing out with a psw 505,
So want to hear the sounds that the 505 is failing to pick up,
Well...you’re missing a bunch. Output, extension, linearity, damping etc. I have a 505 mixed in with 2 pc12 pluses. Compared to them it’s a fart box, but I only run it up to about 50hz so it’s only reinforcing a small range. That’s because it doesn’t sound good crossed higher, especially when pushed. It’s a decent beginner sub, or as a quasi mid bass module(in my case), but by itself just isn’t great. I would also remove the SB from your list. IMO sealed subs only belong in tiny rooms where space is a premium. As mentioned, HSU is likely the best performance value, but SVS has unmatched CS. If you can, it might be worth trying to swing the HSU dual drive right now vs waiting to budget for it later.

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
Well...you’re missing a bunch. Output, extension, linearity, damping etc. I have a 505 mixed in with 2 pc12 pluses. Compared to them it’s a fart box, but I only run it up to about 50hz so it’s only reinforcing a small range. That’s because it doesn’t sound good crossed higher, especially when pushed. It’s a decent beginner sub, or as a quasi mid bass module(in my case), but by itself just isn’t great. I would also remove the SB from your list. IMO sealed subs only belong in tiny rooms where space is a premium. As mentioned, HSU is likely the best performance value, but SVS has unmatched CS. If you can, it might be worth trying to swing the HSU dual drive right now vs waiting to budget for it later.
About $1000 is all I can stretch atm,
I want a better reciver, I have the Yamaha 683 7.2 and it has no pre outs, I want to run a 5.1.4 atmos setup.

Zarkoff500

Zarkoff500

Enthusiast
If you are handy, you can use the UM18 in a full or mini Marty sub and get significant output for not too much money @ $325 for the UM and about $70 in wood. You would need at least a inuke/NX3000DSP to run it though. Another DIY option which gives you the ability to get two ported 18's for $500 or less and play at quite high levels is the VBSS subs. I have two and they are pretty remarkable for the money. I have also used the UM18 in the 4 cft flat pack and also in a Marty Cube. I am partial to DIY though due to the performance per dollar ratio. If full on building isn't your thing, two of the UM18's in the flat packs would do some damage :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
About $1000 is all I can stretch atm,
I want a better reciver, I have the Yamaha 683 7.2 and it has no pre outs, I want to run a 5.1.4 atmos setup.
I hear that. I think it’s a good choice to get the sub first. It will benefit you the most right now. Atmos is great though, and maybe once that gets squared up start looking at a second sub. I have a huge space, and I have to say that despite better bass, the headroom is priceless. Decisions...lol

H

Hokies83

Audioholic
I hear that. I think it’s a good choice to get the sub first. It will benefit you the most right now. Atmos is great though, and maybe once that gets squared up start looking at a second sub. I have a huge space, and I have to say that despite better bass, the headroom is priceless. Decisions...lol
Thinking about the denon 4500 Black Friday :)

djembeman

djembeman

Enthusiast
Hey all! I own the HSU VTF-2 MK5 and am super happy with it. I have played around with variable tuning and initially settled on 2 ports open, EQ2 and Q control at .5. When I recently tried one port open [again] I lost too much definition/accuracy in kick drums listening to Animals as Leaders and Lamb of God. Two ports closed wasn't bad, but lost the hair raising quality of my bass. I feel like HSU is giving you more subwoofer per dollar in general. You can spend $529 plus shipping and it seems as good as the $700 SVS.

I've been looking at Rythmik subs. Anyone know how they would compare? Servo controlled technology is a bit different. I really want to order one to experience it and see for myself. Check out Z reviews on YouTube.

djembeman

djembeman

Enthusiast
HSU does run sales. Last one I saw was a Presidents Day Sale.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey all! I own the HSU VTF-2 MK5 and am super happy with it. I have played around with variable tuning and initially settled on 2 ports open, EQ2 and Q control at .5. When I recently tried one port open [again] I lost too much definition/accuracy in kick drums listening to Animals as Leaders and Lamb of God. Two ports closed wasn't bad, but lost the hair raising quality of my bass. I feel like HSU is giving you more subwoofer per dollar in general. You can spend $529 plus shipping and it seems as good as the $700 SVS.

I've been looking at Rythmik subs. Anyone know how they would compare? Servo controlled technology is a bit different. I really want to order one to experience it and see for myself. Check out Z reviews on YouTube.

I have the LVX12 from 2017 and the VTF2.5 from 2018 in different rooms The LVX12 is a clean sub but it can’t keep up with the mid bass the VTF2.5 can output.

The drivers in the Rythmik L series are not as nice as the FV15HP or E15HP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis