Speaker selector switch - Beresford v. Russound

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
Hi All- I considering purchasing a speaker selector switch so I can use a single pair of front tower speakers for movies/television (AVR) and 2 channel music (integrated amp). It's important to me that there is no degradation in sound. (My AVR does allow pre-amp hook-up).

The two products I was considering was the Beresford TC-7220 or Russound AB-2.2. If you have any other recommendations, I would be open to hearing. Thx so much!

https://www.amazon.com/TC-7220-Amplifier-Selector-Comparator-Crossover/dp/B00LNOAGZQ

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543AB22/Russound-AB-2-2.html?awkw=75640837465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47637427705&awdv=c&awug=9067609&gclid=CjwKCAiA767jBRBqEiwAGdAOr5VHVAB-otAjADLE4nly7UZRZgpXT8OVBLqv-OjgF-TwI8MtllZ9IRoCVLYQAvD_BwE

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In a previous post you asked a similar question. based on the assumption that an integrated stereo amp would provide superior sound quality over an AVR. Several answers were provided, including mine, that your assumption was incorrect.

There is no evidence that 2-channel stereo or multi-channel integrated AVRs provide better or worse sound quality. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misleading you, and – just possibly – would profit from selling you more electronic gear than you need.

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the response, but it is unresponsive. I appreciate your opinion. But having purchased an intergrated amp and after playing it side by side against my AVR, I notice a clear difference in SQ. You may disagree, and that is fine. But I notice the difference.

My question above related to a recommendation for a speaker switch. If you or anyone else has any insight or a recommendation I would appreciate it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And I mentioned adding a component like that will degrade the sound nullifying any precieved difference you may have thought you had heard.

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
And I mentioned adding a component like that will degrade the sound nullifying any precieved difference you may have thought you had heard.
Have you tried either of those products? I’ve seen many with systems much higher end than mine swear by a high quality switch.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Have you tried either of those products? I’ve seen many with systems much higher end than mine swear by a high quality switch.
I've used russound and they are good. Owned by the same group as niles and speakercraft IIRC.

L

LPJR

Audioholic Intern
Did you feel it degraded the sound? I see it handles up to 150 watts per channel. I think it should be alright power-wise; I have the Yamaha AS801 (100 watts per channel).

Beresford tc-7220 (which is about $50 more) claims 200 watts per channel and has binding posts inputs (as opposed to the Russound, which has insertion connectors).

Will there be a sound improvement with the Beresford?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Did you feel it degraded the sound? I see it handles up to 150 watts per channel. I think it should be alright power-wise; I have the Yamaha AS801 (100 watts per channel).

Beresford tc-7220 (which is about $50 more) claims 200 watts per channel and has binding posts inputs (as opposed to the Russound, which has insertion connectors).

Will there be a sound improvement with the Beresford?
Binding posts vs Phoenix connectors doesn't matter and 200W vs 150W only matters if the system is operated at high power levels but the main point is that anything inserted between the amplifier and speakers can degrade the sound. Whether this difference is audible is up to the listener and since it's impossible to have two speakers in exactly the same place, switching between one channel going through the switch and the other direct isn't a truly valid test, unless you can do it in a place where there are no boundaries and no reflections.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
All speaker selectors degrade in some way. They are intended for distributed audio. That's why true ABX boxes are not cheap, when testing multiple speakers or electronics they need to pass the signal cleanly.

https://avahifi.com/products/abx-switch-comparator
Crap!1400 bucks for something that mitigates sound degradation?? (i did try the cheap sht and returned it).... At this rate, unplugging/swapping banana plugs is starting to look like a forever thing in my case. Is there anything else out there at a more reasonable price that could do the job?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis