Noob building home theater

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure his 5k included a tv or without. A 65in tv (cheaper than 75in) would still be a big step up from his 50in. Also the rear speakers don’t need to be as good as the front 3. I just think 4 ceiling speakers is real atmos. 2 is a tease. And ya Denon 4400 will go on sale when 4500 is out.
Good point on the 4400 if he can wait, and I think DigitalDawn will be good enough to let us know when the sales returns. With the 4400 then his wife won't have to worry as much about obsolescence because it can process 11 channels and can be firmware updated to eARC and Auro 3D (may be included already). So hopefully his 5K budget excludes the TV. The 4500 will likely arrive in September.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
It includes the TV or projector/screen, but the $5k isn't fixed, we can go over. I just needed a ballpark number to start aiming at; if a quality system is going to run $6k or even $7k, we can make it work. I figured if I didn't provide a number and simply asked “ what should I get,” the answers wouldn't be realistic for us to seriously consider.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It includes the TV or projector/screen, but the $5k isn't fixed, we can go over. I just needed a ballpark number to start aiming at; if a quality system is going to run $6k or even $7k, we can make it work. I figured if I didn't provide a number and simply asked “ what should I get,” the answers wouldn't be realistic for us to seriously consider.
Then go 75 in if you are planning to watch ice hockey so you can see the puck. :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just try ordering something like the Elac in-wall MTM and test it out. The point being is simply getting good HT audio in the size of the space you have irregardless of budget.

If you don't like what you hear with the Elac (or other) just return it. If it looks like it's going to fit the bill then you can do a 7.2 setup considering you would be about 1500 in surround, spend another 1500 to 1600 in subs, and $1K on a display and $500 on a 7.2 AVR.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Costco has the Yamaha TSR-7850 for sale right now for $490. Is that something I should consider?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Costco has the Yamaha TSR-7850 for sale right now for $490. Is that something I should consider?
I would try to get the 2070 if you go Yamaha. That way you can do 5.1.4 Atmos. I have the 2060 Yamaha.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
I would try to get the 2070 if you go Yamaha. That way you can do 5.1.4 Atmos. I have the 2060 Yamaha.
Are you referring to the Aventage RX-A2070? If so that's like an extra $1000+ for the ability to have 2 more ceiling speakers (which I would also have to buy.) Some places aren't even carrying it anymore because the 2080 is now available. The 7850 is 7.2 channel and can do 5.2.2. For that size a room I'm really not sure that going from 2 ceiling speakers to 4 is worth the extra grand (plus the cost of 2 extra speakers.)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My earlier suggestion was the Denon 4400 but the Denon 3400 is cheaper. Just thinking you may want the option of preouts if you want to add an external amp. Good luck! :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are you referring to the Aventage RX-A2070? If so that's like an extra $1000+ for the ability to have 2 more ceiling speakers (which I would also have to buy.) Some places aren't even carrying it anymore because the 2080 is now available. The 7850 is 7.2 channel and can do 5.2.2. For that size a room I'm really not sure that going from 2 ceiling speakers to 4 is worth the extra grand (plus the cost of 2 extra speakers.)
I can't tell you if it's worth the extra money or not... (is this a dedicated HT space? Are movies a big part of the usage? Are you willing to seek out atmos titles?)

I have basically a 2 seat HT space (est 2900 cu ft.) roughly 12' away from the screen...I started with 2 atmos speakers positioned slightly ahead of the seating, and added 2 more slightly behind the seating...playing back the same material (notably John Wick Chptr. 2 & Gravity)...4 is much better than 2 speakers for the immersive sound.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I started atmos with 4 speakers. Why add that "what if" thought to your life. 4 surrounds and 4 atmos is pretty freakin awesome IMO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
she wants a $5k bath tub for crying out loud
If she gets $5K for the tub, then it's only fair you get $5K for Home Theater, which you will probably use every single day. :D

I think 5.2.4 is a good plan.

I think bottom line is that she wants you to spend LESS than her bath tub! :D

What does a $5K tub do? :eek:

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I started atmos with 4 speakers. Why add that "what if" thought to your life. 4 surrounds and 4 atmos is pretty freakin awesome IMO.
2 can work okay if you don't have much room behind the seating.

R

rbkerr

Audiophyte
What is the difference between the TSR-7850 and the RX-A780? The specs look identical!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Hello everyone,

My family just purchased a home we will be renovating, and a home theater is in the plans. I'm not an audio nerd (meant as a compliment) by any stretch, but I do enjoy movies so here we are. The space in question is not designed to be a theater, nor will it be exclusively a theater as it will double as my den, but it's the space I'm left to work with so structural modifications at this point are not possible. The room in question is an almost square 16’10” x 19’3” and has 8’ ceilings, has 4 windows on one wall, a bathroom and closet on another wall, 2 doors on a 3rd wall and a bare wall on the 4th (see attached pic). Some other things to consider are we will be using an L-shaped leather couch (10’x10’) as the primary seating area, and I have a 50” plasma tv I use to play video games on which I would like to keep and use.

Right now I'm thinking that the bare wall will be where I will mount the tv with a retractable screen to come down over it when we want to watch movies, with the bathroom and closet behind us. I will be starting from scratch when it comes to purchasing equipment, and my budget is around $5,000 (give or take). At this point I'm thinking of a 5.1.2 audio system but that’s as far as I’ve gotten on research and am open to suggestions on particular systems, need advice on wired vs. wireless, floor materials and any other advice I can't think of or are too ignorant to ask about.

The one roadblock I'm running into is my wife. She is hesitant on dropping thousands of dollars on audio/visual equipment that may be obsolete in 5-10 years and would rather divert that $ into building materials: better windows, better HVAC unit, better roof tiles, etc. I don't blame her concern, but on the other hand realize that this will always be an issue. Any suggestions on how to minimize waste due to foreseeable technology would also be greatly appreciated to help bolster my argument when it comes time to slapping down the cash.

Thank you all in advance for your help and suggestions.
Check out of Klipsch, particularity their previous line of speakers. I know there a good bit cheaper now eg. My pair of 280s are were 1200 originally and now 800 since Klipschs new line was released. Also buying used isn't always a bad thing. Consider ebay for AVRs and craigslist for speakers. There are some great deals out there if you look hard enough. IMO put a 1/3 of your budget into two nice subwoofers. Bass is a really big part of the home theater experience and will make you be like damnnnnnnnn, that was awesome.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What is the difference between the TSR-7850 and the RX-A780? The specs look identical!
The RXV683 shows up on Amazon today for $299 for a 1 day sale. It’s very similar as well.

I own a RXV681 and a RXA770 and they are almost identical other than the front panel look.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Shady, question. You mentioned the benifits on having 2 subs, which makes sense the way you explained it...but the link you provided (Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines,) states on page 16 “While manufacturers may decide to support more than one subwoofer output, Dolby Atmos technology generates a single Low-Frequency Effects (LFE) signal.” They then give over a dozen setups, none of which have more than 1 sub.
So....would having 2 subs really benefit?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, question. You mentioned the benifits on having 2 subs, which makes sense the way you explained it...but the link you provided (Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines,) states on page 16 “While manufacturers may decide to support more than one subwoofer output, Dolby Atmos technology generates a single Low-Frequency Effects (LFE) signal.” They then give over a dozen setups, none of which have more than 1 sub.
So....would having 2 subs really benefit?
Yes. What they mean is that there is only one signal sent out of the subwoofer outputs. They are not saying that you shouldn't have two subs, they are just saying that there won't be different signals for the subs individually. No sound mix does that, LFE tracks are always mono. That doesn't change the reasons for a multi-subwoofer approach.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Check out of Klipsch, particularity their previous line of speakers. I know there a good bit cheaper now eg. My pair of 280s are were 1200 originally and now 800 since Klipschs new line was released. Also buying used isn't always a bad thing. Consider ebay for AVRs and craigslist for speakers. There are some great deals out there if you look hard enough. IMO put a 1/3 of your budget into two nice subwoofers. Bass is a really big part of the home theater experience and will make you be like damnnnnnnnn, that was awesome.
Best Buy currently has Klipsch RP-280FA’s for $840 each. You said your pair cost around $800? Where? If I spent $1680 on 2 speakers I’m blowing over 30% of my budget and would still need 2 rear speakers, at least 1 sub, a center speaker, at least 2 ceiling speakers (preferably 4),a receiver and a 75” TV.
Yes. What they mean is that there is only one signal sent out of the subwoofer outputs. They are not saying that you shouldn't have two subs, they are just saying that there won't be different signals for the subs individually. No sound mix does that, LFE tracks are always mono. That doesn't change the reasons for a multi-subwoofer approach.
Got it. Thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Best Buy currently has Klipsch RP-280FA’s for $840 each. You said your pair cost around $800? Where? If I spent $1680 on 2 speakers I’m blowing over 30% of my budget and would still need 2 rear speakers, at least 1 sub, a center speaker, at least 2 ceiling speakers (preferably 4),a receiver and a 75” TV.
Skip the RP-280FA speakers because a lot of their cost is due to the built-in Atmos modules. If you want Klipsch, look at the RP-5000 or RP-6000 speakers. I think the RP-600M would be fine too.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Skip the RP-280FA speakers because a lot of their cost is due to the built-in Atmos modules. If you want Klipsch, look at the RP-5000 or RP-6000 speakers. I think the RP-600M would be fine too.
Thx. I think I’m going with HSU CCB-8s all around, with their HIW-1 wall speakers for the ceiling speakers, and leaning toward 2 VTF-15H MK2s, though not set on those yet.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis