Warm,Bright,Neutral Sound does it really vary with receiver ?

K

Kaz123

Audiophyte
Hi,

I was just researching on av reciever and came across many blogs referring to warm,bright and neural sound tagged to receiver brand. I know what warm/bright/neutral sound means and how it may be dependent on the type of speaker but does it really make difference between each av reciever manufacture. One example of such reference was on Marantz official website claiming it sounds warmer due to their HDAM modules. how true are these remarks and can some one shed some light on these?.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In general, good quality avrs, pre-pros, and amps shouldn't color the sound in any way. I've always heard Marantz is very musical, for example (and I own one), but then some of our friends here have gone to the lengths of comparing... with the result that there isn't much difference, if any at all. Assuming, of course, that you have a good match of speaker to amp, and good source material. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi,

I was just researching on av reciever and came across many blogs referring to warm,bright and neural sound tagged to receiver brand. I know what warm/bright/neutral sound means and how it may be dependent on the type of speaker but does it really make difference between each av reciever manufacture. One example of such reference was on Marantz official website claiming it sounds warmer due to their HDAM modules. how true are these remarks and can some one shed some light on these?.
In any amplifier has an audible 'sound signature,' it is broken.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
However many are happy with imaginary sound signatures, too. I've got four different avrs in the house and warm/bright/neutral aren't descriptions that occur to me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,

Like others have mentioned, good AVRs will be neutral and amplify the signal without imparting its audio signature to the original signal. What you read from Marantz is just a cheesey advertising glossy that came out of the marketing department. We all know how tuned in a company's marketing department is with R&D and production. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your speakers and your room will affect these aspects of your sound more than any difference in an AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your speakers and your room will affect these aspects of your sound more than any difference in an AVR.
That said this is where I think where various reports come from (or reinforced from what was read in various fora/blogs), from using various amps/avrs in a variety of rooms with a variety of speakers and a casual listener coming to the conclusion its the avr/amp particularly creating the "sound signature".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was just researching on av reciever and came across many blogs referring to warm,bright and neural sound tagged to receiver brand.
The internet (University of Google) is full of hearsay and nonsense.

We usually make fun of those people. :D

In Direct/Bypass/Through mode (no EQ or DSP),they should sound neutral/accurate/flat.

If any EQ (auto or manual) or DSP is turned on, then you might get one of those adjectives- warm, bright, sweet, chocolaty, blah, blah, blah like some foods or drinks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis