Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Should I go with a center or surround speakers first? Budget (wife) says 1 at a time.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Center first. Voice-matching your center with your front speakers is very important, so spend your most money there. Voice-matching surrounds is nowhere near as important.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Should I go with a center or surround speakers first? Budget (wife) says 1 at a time.
Are you looking for doing 5.1 audio? Or just the occasional multi-channel stereo thing (since you said "for music only")?
What are your Mains, if I may ask?
I agree with Kvn, though... finish out your front three!

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Mains are LS50s in the bedroom. What center (other than ls50c) matches?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's a pretty unique speaker. Is there a reason you wouldn't just use a 3rd LS50 for center?

I can give you a good example of voice matching. My best friend just bought a pair of Revel speaker from me. He has an old AR center channel to complete the front stage. When I was playing test tones to balance output levels, the LCR sweep sounded something like this:

SWIIIISSSSSSSHHH
SWOOOOOOOOSHHHH
SWIIIISSSSSSSHHH

now he didn't mind (didn't even seem to notice) but some folks would be driven crazy by that. A good tonal balance (not just SPL) across the front should translate into a more coherent final product reaching your ears.

BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy

Audioholic Intern
IF it were me for MUSIC only, I'd go with the surrounds first because you can always do a phantom center that should be acceptable, especially in a bedroom system.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Why not 2 channel stereo for music only? Better speakers and better sources better amplification for the $$.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Its unclear as to the application. Are you building a multichannel system for music only or will it play double duty for HT as well?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I repeat the post title FOR MUSIC ONLY.
It's for surround sound since it's more than 2ch, whether is music or not. It gets ppl confused when you say music only as most all think 2 channel for music. For your edification.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I expected to see it such that it would be laid on its side like many centers that are converted from L/R use (change of crossover or wave guide or something). What makes it a center particularly?

Have to ask KEF. All I know is it’s marketed as one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis