Mix of equipment....

R

rollernose

Audiophyte
I'm trying to put several components together to make good quality sound in my welding shop. Any advise for configuring these Items is greatly appreciated!
Older Sony 7.1 receiver
Extron XPA 2001 mono 70/100 200 watt amp
Biamp CPA130 amp
2 - JBL control 28 speakers
2- QSC AD-s28Tw speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does the sony have pre-outs for the amps? What model is it? Is it less powerful than the BIAMP amp? The Extron is a constant voltage type amp but looks like you could use that with the QSC subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's the Sony manual in case you need https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W001/W0010540M.pdf

It's a 5.1 receiver fwiw. It does have a full set of pre-outs so you can use external amps but for the amps you have, seems the avr has a bit more power than that Biamp amp (that name makes me do a double take each time since from my brief look at the manual it doesn't seem suitable to do any bi-amping particularly). So I'd just use the Sony speaker terminals and put the Biamp amp aside. Hook up the JBL speakers to the L/R channel speaker terminals on the Sony with appropriate speaker wire (try the wire table on this page).

Hooking up the Extron looks a little more involved as it doesn't use consumer connections like the rca pre-outs on the Sony; you need to use the sub pre-out. Seems you could snip off the other end of an rca cable and wire it directly to the unbalanced (rca is unbalanced) input terminals (left only would work for the sub channel as it's mono anyways),use this guide https://www.extron.com/download/files/userman/68-2354-50_C.pdf. Also a note on second page about this constant voltage amp to the QSC speakers here https://soundsphere.mseaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Soundsphere-WireSizeSelection.pdf. I don't know if 70V or 100V would be better particularly, but seems you get max power by bridging the amp.

R

rollernose

Audiophyte
Thank you so much! it's a bit confusing but the resources you have provided, will surly get me pointed in the right direction.
Thanks again,
Roller

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Quite welcome, was interested to see the details on this gear you're trying to put to use. Manuals are good things to read, just takes a bit of searching sometimes.
ps Before I delete here's the Extron downloads page https://www.extron.com/product/xpa2001

R

rollernose

Audiophyte
Well the JBL speakers sound great. I can't get the QSC speakers to make any sound through the amp. I hooked them up full range to the front speaker terminals and they played fine....I tried a multitude of different ways to hook up the RCA wire ends to the funky connector on the amp, best I could do is make them hum. My son gave me the AMP, he's a commercial Low volt electrician, He said it was working great when he upgraded the system.
I actually got all my gear from him :), cast offs from projects. I love free stuff! I hate to bug my kid to come bail me out, but I Might need to. LOL

R

rollernose

Audiophyte
Hey Lovinthehd, I see you're from Oregon. I'm just up the road in the Canby area.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the JBL speakers sound great. I can't get the QSC speakers to make any sound through the amp. I hooked them up full range to the front speaker terminals and they played fine....I tried a multitude of different ways to hook up the RCA wire ends to the funky connector on the amp, best I could do is make them hum. My son gave me the AMP, he's a commercial Low volt electrician, He said it was working great when he upgraded the system.
I actually got all my gear from him :), cast offs from projects. I love free stuff! I hate to bug my kid to come bail me out, but I Might need to. LOL
Glad you've got some music going with the Sony/JBL combo. Which voltage taps did you use on the Extron/QSC combo? What wire ends from the rca cord particularly did you use and how? Attenuator at 0 or? I wasn't clear on just what those terminals were between the photo of the rear panel and the manual, tho. Sounds like your son as backup wiring checker is a good plan in any case!

Hey Lovinthehd, I see you're from Oregon. I'm just up the road in the Canby area.
Hadn't heard of Canby until now...altho looking at a map may have driven through it before on 99 but haven't spent a lot of time up in your part of Oregon so far. I've only lived here for five years. Came here to Oakridge for the mountain biking many years ago and decided to retire here after I quit working. You getting plenty of this rain now too?

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys, I’m from Eugene originally and also lived in Portland for a while. I live in Hawaii now but am back in Oregon visiting family this week. Yeah, this cold and rain is a real drag. I’m hoping to visit a couple of the stereo stores while I’m here since there’s not much in Hawaii beyond Best Buy (I think there’s one hi-fi shop but haven’t been there yet)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys, I’m from Eugene originally and also lived in Portland for a while. I live in Hawaii now but am back in Oregon visiting family this week. Yeah, this cold and rain is a real drag. I’m hoping to visit a couple of the stereo stores while I’m here since there’s not much in Hawaii beyond Best Buy (I think there’s one hi-fi shop but haven’t been there yet)
LOL not much in Eugene in that regards. Think I have read of a couple in Portland, tho. Hawaii sounds good about now, haven't been there in a really long time and with my feelings about commercial flying probably won't again :)

R

rollernose

Audiophyte
Hey, I just had a thought...the extron amp has a volume port on the back of it. Could it be that it requires a volume knob of its own?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, I just had a thought...the extron amp has a volume port on the back of it. Could it be that it requires a volume knob of its own?
That's why I asked about where the attenuator was set (which would control the gain/volume).

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
LOL not much in Eugene in that regards. Think I have read of a couple in Portland, tho. Hawaii sounds good about now, haven't been there in a really long time and with my feelings about commercial flying probably won't again :)
I went over to Bradford’s today and listened to some Focal chorus 706’s. He also had some 726’s still in the box—retail for $1900 but he said he got them from some sort of promo and would sell them for $1500 if anyone around here is looking. He also carried a lot of Paradigm and had some used Magnepans as well as Anthem, Marantz, Rogue and Yamaha amps/receivers. Music Hall turntables. Not a bad mix of stuff for Eugene.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I went over to Bradford’s today and listened to some Focal chorus 706’s. He also had some 726’s still in the box—retail for $1900 but he said he got them from some sort of promo and would sell them for $1500 if anyone around here is looking. He also carried a lot of Paradigm and had some used Magnepans as well as Anthem, Marantz, Rogue and Yamaha amps/receivers. Music Hall turntables. Not a bad mix of stuff for Eugene.
I went in there a few years ago. Two guys on the phone (neither of whom acknowledged my presence or even said a word),a crappy "showroom" in front and a weird mix of gear (apparently used as well as new and nothing too up to date) and little evidence they could demo anything properly. They're supposedly at the top of the heap there. Meh.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm trying to put several components together to make good quality sound in my welding shop. Any advise for configuring these Items is greatly appreciated!
Older Sony 7.1 receiver
Extron XPA 2001 mono 70/100 200 watt amp
Biamp CPA130 amp
2 - JBL control 28 speakers
2- QSC AD-s28Tw speakers
If the ambient noise level in the shop is as high as I think it might be (grinding, cutting, hammering, etc), can I assume everyone wears hearing protection?

What are the dimensions of the shop? That will determine the number of speakers needed and the maximum SPL you'll be able to achieve without having the area near them so loud that nobody wants to go there.

If the Sony has preamp outs, this can work but if you're planning to spend anywhere near that amount for amplification, look at the Crown CDi1000- it will do everything both of these amplifiers can, it's more powerful, it has built-in equalization/limiting/crossover/input mode settings (mono or stereo),output mode settings (70V or low impedance) and you can lock the controls on the front so nobody else can mess with the settings.

I did a school gym audio system upgrade last Summer and used this amplifier, but in that case, 70V speakers had been used in the ceiling, so I stayed with that type and used a JBL Control 2210 subwoofer @ 8 Ohms. In their case, a mixer was needed, but you could feed the signal from a receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unlike a traditional A/V receiver these days or a traditionally powered subwoofer, you have a bunch of setup hoops you have to make sure are all playing nicely together to get that QSC working.

1. Wiring. Subwoofer output from Sony, to XPA input. Use the left phoenix connection block. Use the left terminal. Center conductor to + and the surrounding conductor to the 'ground'. Plug phoenix block back into the amp. From the output of the amp, + and - should be connected normally to the subwoofer. Only connect one subwoofer at this time.

2. Switches everywhere! - On the amp, make sure that the attenuation dial is set to '0'. Completely clockwise. Anything else turns the volume down. This is your master volume control for the subs, so during testing you can turn them down some, but once setup, you want to leave it at a volume that is comfortable with the other speakers. Make sure the 'HPF' switch is set to 'OFF'. Do not connect anything to the volume/standby phoenix block, this isn't needed and is there for external control only.
https://www.extron.com/download/files/userman/68-2354-50_C.pdf
and https://www.extron.com/download/files/userman/68-2354-01_B.pdf

3. More switches - QSC - On these speakers, make sure that the dial on the back of the speakers is pointed to 50. That means it will take 50 watts of power from the amplifier tapped at 70v. If it is currently pointed at 8ohm then it is bypassing the internal transformer and won't work with the amplifier. So, rotate the knob until it is pointed at the proper power tap in white (70v). There is also a knob/switch on the back to turn the low pass crossover on or off. I would turn it on for protection.
https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/spk/ad/ad-s28tw/q_spk_ads_28tw_usermanual.pdf

4. Test #1 - The Sony is a complex beast, and it's better to avoid using it during this testing. Just connect an audio source, like a CD player, computer, or phone directly to the cables coming off the amplifier. You don't need left/right, just one channel (pick one) and ensure you get audio playback. This will ensure that things are wired up properly.

5. Well, this should be interesting... Sony: The receiver likely has a bunch of settings in it already, and those settings may not be what you need to use. If it has been set to 'NO' for 'SUBWOOFER', then the subwoofer output won't ever produce any audio for you. So, starting on page 18 of the manual, you want to follow the setup procedures as they have listed. Make sure the subwoofer settings are correct in the receiver (page 21), make sure front speakers are set to 'SMALL' (page 19). You can leave the crossover frequency set to 120hz, but can adjust it later (page 22).
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W001/W0010540M.pdf
Page 36 of the manual indicates that there is a SWOOFER light on the front of the display that may light up when you feed it a two channel source, and it's decoding audio for the subwoofer output on the back of the receiver.

6. Trouble? - If audio works from your phone/cd/cable box but not from the Sony? Plug your XPA into one of the other analog outputs on the back of the Sony. Try 'left out' or 'right out'. This should let audio pass to the subwoofer properly. Make sure the amp is turned up enough to pass audio as well.

7. Option: If none of that works, just hook the subwoofers up to the Sony on the 'B' output. Make sure the dials on the back are set to 8ohm. Your main speakers are 8 ohms and the subwoofers are 8 ohms. It should be fine with the Sony.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis