Yamaha RX-A3060 Receiver or CX-A5100 processor with MX-A5000 amp?

T

TIMMY A BURWOOD

Audiophyte
First time posting and very much a rookie at this. I have narrowed my new set up for either the RX-A3060 Receiver or the CX-A5100 processor with the MX-A5000 amp. Able to get the processor & amp (unused) for only an additional $500 bucks over the 3060 so price is not a factor here. I know the 3060 receiver is a newer released model and wondering if it has newer/additional features that the 5000 series processor and amp doesn't.
I currently have a Pioneer SC67 running a def tech 5.1 system which consist of 3 XTR 50's for the LRC, 2 XTR 20's for the surrounds and a super cube 4000 sub.
My plan is to replace the receiver and to run 2 zones leaving zone one the 5.1 as it is and then adding zone 2 in a separate room to run my Martin Logan Motion 60XT's for music.
Not sure which way to go on this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If price is NOT a factor, definitely go the separates route. While there are better amps than the MX-A5000 for its retail price, if you can get the set for such a great deal, then go for it. They would compliment each other cosmetically too.

T

TIMMY A BURWOOD

Audiophyte
Thanks Gene for the reply - as mentioned on my original post the 3060 receiver is a newer released model and wondering if it has newer/additional features that the 5000 series processor and amp doesn't. Any advantages to go with the RX-A3060? I believe in one of your recent reviews (I have watched many in the past couple of weeks) that you mentioned that you may be adding the RX-A3060 in your personal collection?

Tim

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Gene for the reply - as mentioned on my original post the 3060 receiver is a newer released model and wondering if it has newer/additional features that the 5000 series processor and amp doesn't. Any advantages to go with the RX-A3060? I believe in one of your recent reviews (I have watched many in the past couple of weeks) that you mentioned that you may be adding the RX-A3060 in your personal collection?

Tim
It seems to have the latest YPAO system, that can be a significant benefit if you have a room that can benefit from a good REQ system. I agree if money is no object then separates are almost always better, but AVRs, especially the flag ship models such as the 3060, can allow you to take the time find out if you really need an external amp. If you do, you have the flexibility to add just a two channel amp for the main L/R speakers, or more channels to your needs. For people who use the same system for serious two channel music, they may prefer to go with the best power amp they can afford and that could mean getting a two channel amp and let the AVR takes care of the center and surround channels.

T

TIMMY A BURWOOD

Audiophyte
Jeepers,
Thanks for the site info it was a huge help.

On the Yamaha site and another source, I found a couple differences that I'm not real sure about? Should either of these differences be enough to sway me in making my final choice between the RX-A 3060 receiver or the CX-A5100 processor with MX-A5000 amp?

CX-A5100 has Standard GUI. (Graphical User Interface.) RX-A3060 has the upgraded HD GUI.

CX-A5100 has 31.3 Hz to 250.0 Hz subwoofer equalizer settings. RX-A3060 has 15.6 Hz to 250.0 Hz.

J

johnpass

Audiophyte
The 5100 now has a firmware update that gives the 15.6Hz capability to the manual PEQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AUDIOCRAZE

AUDIOCRAZE

Junior Audioholic
One worthy mention Is that the 5100 has 11 Sabre 32 DACs. That's one per channel vs the 3060 has one Sabre 32 and one Premier DAC that handles the 4 presence channels. When you look at the circuit board between the two they are considerably different. What I would encourage and like to see discussed here or anywhere is how this translates to overall sorround sound performance.

I'm new to the forum and I see everywhere the main talking points of technical feature comparisons but don't see anyone really diving down into the pros of the audible differences between the changes. I really wish this is something that was discussed more often.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One worthy mention Is that the 5100 has 11 Sabre 32 DACs. That's one per channel vs the 3060 has one Sabre 32 and one Premier DAC that handles the 4 presence channels. When you look at the circuit board between the two they are considerably different. What I would encourage and like to see discussed here or anywhere is how this translates to overall sorround sound performance.

I'm new to the forum and I see everywhere the main talking points of technical feature comparisons but don't see anyone really diving down into the pros of the audible differences between the changes. I really wish this is something that was discussed more often.
Likely there is no, or at best very little, audible difference. You can only improve DACs and amps so much year after year after year after year....IMO.

H

harbour2929

Audiophyte
Looking for help please people..... Just wondering about an offer I (and others) have received. A CX-A5200 / MX-A5000 (yes - NOT the MX-A5200) combo for approx half price, brand new with Yamaha 5 year warranty. I currently am using an RX-A3070 in a 5.1.4 system. In your opinion would the expected improvements of the Seperates be worth the extra expense? I am happy with the current unit but perhaps this limited offer is a sweet spot special - I am very much a novice and I am looking for guidance please. Many thanks......

Regards

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Half off and warranty are nice but sometimes that sort of discount might not be so unusual when they want to clear the floor of old inventory. Actual pricing would be more interesting than guessing at half off of what particularly, too. Full msrp or something else?

What are the improvements you expect particularly, though?

If the avr is doing the job well with your current system, I wouldn't expect much change either in terms of sq.

Looking for help please people..... Just wondering about an offer I (and others) have received. A CX-A5200 / MX-A5000 (yes - NOT the MX-A5200) combo for approx half price, brand new with Yamaha 5 year warranty. I currently am using an RX-A3070 in a 5.1.4 system. In your opinion would the expected improvements of the Seperates be worth the extra expense? I am happy with the current unit but perhaps this limited offer is a sweet spot special - I am very much a novice and I am looking for guidance please. Many thanks......

Regards

H

harbour2929

Audiophyte
Half off and warranty are nice but sometimes that sort of discount might not be so unusual when they want to clear the floor of old inventory. Actual pricing would be more interesting than guessing at half off of what particularly, too. Full msrp or something else?

What are the improvements you expect particularly, though?

If the avr is doing the job well with your current system, I wouldn't expect much change either in terms of sq.
Your comments made me dig a little deeper into this and it looks like the stock may be refurbished - I have to confirm that. I should have known that something that looks so good is often too good to be true! Any improvements I would be expecting with spending this sort of money would be in a discernible improvement in the quality of sound. Depth, clarity, seat of the pants improvements... something that makes the sound more lifelike... even intangibles - perhaps hearing things I have not heard before.
Thank you for your reply to my query......
Regards

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your comments made me dig a little deeper into this and it looks like the stock may be refurbished - I have to confirm that. I should have known that something that looks so good is often too good to be true! Any improvements I would be expecting with spending this sort of money would be in a discernible improvement in the quality of sound. Depth, clarity, seat of the pants improvements... something that makes the sound more lifelike... even intangibles - perhaps hearing things I have not heard before.
Thank you for your reply to my query......
Regards
Well, to me that's a leap of faith as it hasn't been my experience with separates in the 2ch world...and that's even comparing them to avrs. YMMV.

You get a bit better power with the separates so you might be able to get a bit more clarity when you turn it up (maybe up to a 3-4 dB or so advantage off the top of my head). Depth would be more from your speakers and room acoustics rather than the electronics. That's my take. Refurbished with full priveleges as if new (return priveleges, full warranty) is good, but a slightly lesser warranty but with some return terms is done by many here frequently by buying refurb units through accessories4less.com. I note the MX A5000 amp is on sale there for $1499 but they don't have the CX-A5200 pre-pro, but do have the CX-A5100/MX-A5000 combo for $3k.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There is nothing stopping you from adding external amps to the 3070 if you want the amp section separate. I’m not aware of any features in the 5100 that are different from the 3070 except the 11ch vs 9ch of amplification.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would say you get more practical value by using the funds to buy a good 3 channel power amp for the LCR channels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. I would never buy refurbished.
2. IMO going with separates (I have CX-A5100 and MX-A5000) is NOT about getting better sound quality over something like a RX-3070, which I think will sound just as good. It's about pride of ownership, which is personal. :D

I would use AVRs for all other rooms, but I must have separates (pre-pro + amps) in my main system for my personal satisfaction. :D

One other debatable factor is that separates might have better reliability than AVR. That's my 2nd reason. That's what I tell myself. :D

So if your ONLY intension is for sound quality, I would just stick with your RX-A3070.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis