CD player or DVD player

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Surprised there would be an audible difference on the digital outs unless routed through different dac/analog/preamp/amp solutions :) Still, depends what the "differences" were.

S

speedknot

Enthusiast
Surprised there would be an audible difference on the digital outs unless routed through different dac/analog/preamp/amp solutions :) Still, depends what the "differences" were.
On the Oppo side, the music wasn't as muted, had more clarity and detail. Would the outcome have been different if tested with the analog outs? Are the analog outs subjected to dac? Sorry if I dont understand.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
On the Oppo side, the music wasn't as muted, had more clarity and detail. Would the outcome have been different if tested with the analog outs? Are the analog outs subjected to dac? Sorry if I dont understand.
Depends on the avr, most newer model IIRC will process so the dac is involved, unless in a direct or pure mode for some. Oppo put out a fine product, but in my experience the source recording is the determining factor. Without level matched players and blind testing its hard to say. On paper a lot of products should perform better. I remember some DBTs that used acheap 49 player and most couldn't pick it out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be simply due a casual sighted comparison, doubtful any actual difference in any case.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, as to the "subjected to dac" yes if you're using analog outs then you're using the dac/analog section built into the player; if you use the digital outputs you're bypassing the dac/analog section of the player and relying on other gear for the conversion to analog.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis