New Canton speakers coming to A4L (I think)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you go to A4L's main page and scroll down, you get "New Arrivals" and they list a poop-ton :D of Canton speakers which are marked as "Sold Out! Notify me".
A4L has a sales agent who will buy a shipping container (or two) packed out with the speakers they think will sell well.
My best guess is A4L wanted to go ahead and get the information pages for these products on-line in preparation for their arrival.
Of note, much of the new Vento speakers have the titanium membrane woofer (it looks to be maybe taupe in color) that was previously exclusive to their A45 series.
There are several bookshelf speakers described as on-wall despite having rear ports and not having a trim profile. They have the same dimensions as the previous "bookshelf" speakers, so i don't know why they would be described as on-wall!
I also noticed that many of the more expensive models are now listed as "refurbished" whereas the previous models were all (that I saw) listed as "new".

https://www.accessories4less.com/

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The Canton Vento 886 has 7 inch woofers and midrange, and not 6 inch as listed in the title. In the specifications, though, the right size is given.

And I'm waiting for Vento 886.2 that I've ordered i cherry. It's a bit sad, at least for me, that the corresponding centre and surrounds are only available in black or white.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Canton Vento 886 has 7 inch woofers and midrange, and not 6 inch as listed in the title. In the specifications, though, the right size is given.

And I'm waiting for Vento 886.2 that I've ordered i cherry. It's a bit sad, at least for me, that the corresponding centre and surrounds are only available in black or white.
Do you know what they changed for the 886.2 version?
It looks like we get stuck with the old versions of these speakers, but they are still very good speakers.
How does the price you are paying for the 886.2 compare to the $1300 per speaker (in Cherry, $1200 for black or white) we pay for the 886? I like to think we are getting a good discount because we are behind the curve model wise.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder how the new models compare as far as the tweeters. I don’t remember the ceramic tweeters having titanium on the older series. Or is that a mistake on the specs?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Do you know what they changed for the 886.2 version?
It looks like we get stuck with the old versions of these speakers, but they are still very good speakers.
How does the price you are paying for the 886.2 compare to the $1300 per speaker (in Cherry, $1200 for black or white) we pay for the 886? I like to think we are getting a good discount because we are behind the curve model wise.
I was looking for the Vento 886 in cherry finish among the authorized internet dealers in Germany, but at that time I they where out of stock and the dealers did not know when, if at all, they would be available. However, I got a very good deal on the Vento 886.2 in cherry and took it.

Apparently, this is one of the times it's cheaper to live in Europe when shopping audio gear :p From an authorized dealer Hifi-fabrik.de Vento 886 black the price is currently 845 Euro each, and that should be about 963 US dollars. That includes VAT of 19%. Even amazon.de is an authorized dealer and they have the Vento 886 black for 768 Euro.

If you visit the German part of canton.de you'll have more information that what's available on the English part, but Canton is stingy what is really changed, apart from cosmetics.

Google translation from the Vento 886.2: "In addition to the first-class tweeter system made of ceramic and sound-proof titanium diaphragms, the Vento .2 series offers a new look with modern screw-less diamond-cut aluminum rings. In the low frequency range, the large floorstanding speakers feature a double-cone membrane with a continuous membrane surface, which together with the larger housing volume and a more powerful waist of the bow shape ensure even greater and more detailed sound."

What that actually amounts to in sound quality remains to be seen, or even if it's new features.

Edit: Removed pasting from description of the 2018 Vento series with respect to the 2011 Ventos that I clearly did not read properly. The Canton series numbering is pretty confusing.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how the new models compare as far as the tweeters. I don’t remember the ceramic tweeters having titanium on the older series. Or is that a mistake on the specs?
That is correct. The Vento of year 2011 got the new ceramic tweeter and the refresh in 2015 got the titanium membranes.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
A measurement of the Canton Vento 836, along with an inside picture. Note the 830.2 marking on the crossover :)

From the measurements it seems that the tweeter should be at ear height and toed in to the listener.

canton_vento_836.PNG
canton_vento_836_inside.PNG

O

OaktownPete

Enthusiast
on the more affordable side, the Chrono SL series seems to have 3 "upgraded features" from the regular Chrono, right?

- lacquer finish vs vinyl;
- titanium mid-woofers vs "aluminum wave";
- magnetic attachment for grills

they definitely have a cleaner "look", but are the titanium mids "better"? the same mids as in the next model up, right?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I like the aesthetics of the Vento series and in cherry high gloss looks pretty nice in the living room, a nice furniture and not just a speaker.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Canton speakers now show in stock at A4L. Probably best time to buy them is 1st or 2nd week of December though. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Did you end up getting a center and surrounds?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Did you end up getting a center and surrounds?
I kept my surrounds Vento 820 and the centre Vento 858.2 as the newer models are not in cherry. The centre is not in an optimal position, but what am I to do?

Edit: These I got in 2012.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I kept my surrounds Vento 820 and the centre Vento 858.2 as the newer models are not in cherry. The centre is not in an optimal position, but what am I to do?

Edit: These I got in 2012.
Nice! Are you running just an AVR to power it all?

I just ordered Chrono SL 556.2 center to use with my Vento 820.2 to make my 2.1 a 3.1 in the master bedroom. Only $425 at A4L.

It’s got the same ceramic tweeter and the drivers are the updated titanium coating but same 6in size as the 820.2 drivers. It’s rectangular not curved but hopefully will be almost like having a Vento center. :)

And not all Chrono SL models seem have the ceramic tweeters but this one does. Maybe because “.2”? Not sure. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the aesthetics of the Vento series <snip> nice furniture and not just a speaker.
Me too, I agree. Once again, just looking at these speakers makes me want to buy them.

I don't know why I keep clicking on these threads...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Even in black they're nice looking speakers. That combined with the measurements... I wouldn't mind owning these at all.

16560-375x375.jpeg

*Edit: I'm gonna go dust my speakers and make 'em look purty now...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis