marantz sr5008 hdmi processing issues with TCL LED TV

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
My Marantz sr5008 had previously been brought in because it would be constantly shut itself down. The repair was basically the right speaker output which was shorting it. Fine. now i bought myself a new TCL led tv and ran all my components through the SR5008 and then through the HDMI arc to the tv. It worked for awhile originally but then yesterday when I was testing new speakers, the unit shut off. Now when I try and switch through the reciever to the different components, now of them are showing as being hooked up. The tv has a ROKU box built in if that makes a diff and none of the components are showing as being recognized by the Marantz. The repair guy told me to be careful because these units have issues with their HDMI boards and are good as toast if they short out, especially the Marantz. I've reconnected all HDMI's and tried resetting tv settings for hdmi. nothing. next I'll try resetting marantz and resetting all defaults on tv to original. I've also tried unplugging and replugging receiver but nothing. Any thoughts pls? love the reciever but now thinking about getting another - either Onkyo or a Denon to replace this piece of ..... never mind. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My Marantz sr5008 had previously been brought in because it would be constantly shut itself down. The repair was basically the right speaker output which was shorting it. Fine. now i bought myself a new TCL led tv and ran all my components through the SR5008 and then through the HDMI arc to the tv. It worked for awhile originally but then yesterday when I was testing new speakers, the unit shut off. Now when I try and switch through the reciever to the different components, now of them are showing as being hooked up. The tv has a ROKU box built in if that makes a diff and none of the components are showing as being recognized by the Marantz. The repair guy told me to be careful because these units have issues with their HDMI boards and are good as toast if they short out, especially the Marantz. I've reconnected all HDMI's and tried resetting tv settings for hdmi. nothing. next I'll try resetting marantz and resetting all defaults on tv to original. I've also tried unplugging and replugging receiver but nothing. Any thoughts pls? love the reciever but now thinking about getting another - either Onkyo or a Denon to replace this piece of ..... never mind. Thanks.
All receivers are very fragile. I suspect you were not careful hooking up those speakers. When you fiddle with speakers make sure everything is off and unplugged. Inspect ALL connections very carefully. It only takes one stray whisker to do a lot of damage.

Now do a hard reset back to factory defaults. I strongly suspect though, that you have blown up your receiver for a second time.

The way you are going about things, you need a pre/pro or receiver with pre outs and really bullet proof cast iron amps. Even then you still have to watch out.

It sounds to me as if you really need to think about and review how you treat your equipment. If you regard it as delicate as a feather you won't go far wrong.

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
TLS guy, you almost made me cry! You are right and give me pause for thought now. I paid about $900 for the beauty and loved it right until the end. There's still hope but again i would love to get another Marantz or at worse, a Denon that I was looking at which is on sale - the AVRX2400h. Seems like a nice piece but i'm sure not as nice as my SR5008. I normally am quite careful but I'm sure the speaker wires crossed and shorted the HDMI at best. the speakers still work but the HDMI won't pass signal to the TV it seems any longer. Sucks....... Thoughts about another Marantz refurb that I've seen on sale or the Denon listed above. Thanks for both of your comments. Will try calling Marantz Canada but doubt that will do much. Off to the kijiji as is ads..... Yamaha is that good?? Never thought so.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There's still hope but again i would love to get another Marantz or at worse, a Denon that I was looking at which is on sale - the AVRX2400h. Seems like a nice piece but i'm sure not as nice as my SR5008.
Imo the x2400h will beat the sr5008 except it does not have pre outs and the useless 7.1 analog in. The x3400h will beat the SR5008 totally including sound quality (in theory), but still no 7.1 analog inputs.

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
Imo the x2400h will beat the sr5008 except it does not have pre outs and the useless 7.1 analog in. The x3400h will beat the SR5008 totally including sound quality (in theory), but still no 7.1 analog inputs.
ok, so I did a hard reset a few times in a row and nothing. Now i'm thinking that possibly all the receivers presets reset to defaults and the hdmi's arent' activated. how do I see the SR5008's onscreen menus when i can't access them? My tv doesn't have component in but does have an aux port in the back that looks just like a headphone stereo jack. Another tv upstairs has component in but not composite. how do I access the onscreen menu's of the SR5008 without using the HDMI's which most likely aren't active? this is my last hope really before the dump..... thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

ok, so I did a hard reset a few times in a row and nothing. Now i'm thinking that possibly all the receivers presets reset to defaults and the hdmi's arent' activated. how do I see the SR5008's onscreen menus when i can't access them? My tv doesn't have component in but does have an aux port in the back that looks just like a headphone stereo jack. Another tv upstairs has component in but not composite. how do I access the onscreen menu's of the SR5008 without using the HDMI's which most likely aren't active? this is my last hope really before the dump..... thanks!
The HDMI ports should be active right after reset, so this does not look good. You could try a component to composite converter if you want to gamble $80.00. Frankly I'm not at all optimistic of success with this plan.

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
The HDMI ports should be active right after reset, so this does not look good. You could try a component to composite converter if you want to gamble $80.00. Frankly I'm not at all optimistic of success with this plan.
TLS, that sounds like a lot of trouble for nothing. It could very well have reset itself no? Makes sense to me but then again thats just me. I'm thinking its best to see what the values are before I go ahead and buy another unit. There has to be a way to see what's on the menu via one of the 3 tvs here. I have 2 that have component ins on the back but where would i patch my 5008 from? Through the component outs or.....? dont understand that part of it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLS, that sounds like a lot of trouble for nothing. It could very well have reset itself no? Makes sense to me but then again thats just me. I'm thinking its best to see what the values are before I go ahead and buy another unit. There has to be a way to see what's on the menu via one of the 3 tvs here. I have 2 that have component ins on the back but where would i patch my 5008 from? Through the component outs or.....? dont understand that part of it.
If it had reset itself properly then the HDMI out from the TV should show the menu.

If your receiver has only composite out and your TVs don't then you will need a converter if you can't go composite out to composite in or component out to Component in.

I'm not optimistic as you should see the set up screen from HDMI out to HDMI in. If you can't then more than likely that receiver is toast, with minimal chance of success.

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
If it had reset itself properly then the HDMI out from the TV should show the menu.

If your receiver has only composite out and your TVs don't then you will need a converter if you can't go composite out to composite in or component out to Component in.

I'm not optimistic as you should see the set up screen from HDMI out to HDMI in. If you can't then more than likely that receiver is toast, with minimal chance of success.

The receiver has component out and in and the tv has component in also but when I tried to patch those from the component out on the stereo to component in on the tv, it didn't show any setup screens at all. Theoretically it should though should it not? the odd thing is do I punch in the cable button on the remote or dvd or bluray? I'm sure it should show the stereo menus regardless of the stereo remote input selected.
Well the Denon AVRX2400h is looking better and better at Amazon.ca......

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
After a microprocessor reset to factory default, the input assign settings should be back to the default setting as shown below:

1545689217639.png

So the HDMIs should already be active. If you still want to see it, you should be able to use the video out from the receiver to the TV's video in that are just RCA composite video. I would think that every HDMI TV set should have one of those. If your particular TCL does not have component and/or composite, then it would be like what TLSGuy said...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The receiver has component out and in and the tv has component in also but when I tried to patch those from the component out on the stereo to component in on the tv, it didn't show any setup screens at all. Theoretically it should though should it not? the odd thing is do I punch in the cable button on the remote or dvd or bluray? I'm sure it should show the stereo menus regardless of the stereo remote input selected.
Well the Denon AVRX2400h is looking better and better at Amazon.ca......
Quite honestly I think that receiver is toast, unless you want to pony up for a major expensive repair.

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
Quite honestly I think that receiver is toast, unless you want to pony up for a major expensive repair.
it sounds as if you are pretty certain on that count and to repair it, I was told it wasn't worth it in the end. If I do get the Denon which I've had my eye on - the AVRX2400h - i need to play the game alot more carefully when testing new speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

it sounds as if you are pretty certain on that count and to repair it, I was told it wasn't worth it in the end. If I do get the Denon which I've had my eye on - the AVRX2400h - i need to play the game alot more carefully when testing new speakers.
Not just speakers.

Anytime you are futzing round the back of electronics for any reason, make sure it is powered off. Then carefully check your work, especially any speaker connections. Even meter checking is a good idea. Major damage can occur in a second from simple mistakes.

I have a feeling you will be much more careful with your equipment after this.

Unfortunately this has been a hard lesson for you to learn.

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
Not just speakers.

Anytime you are futzing round the back of electronics for any reason, make sure it is powered off. Then carefully check your work, especially any speaker connections. Even meter checking is a good idea. Major damage can occur in a second from simple mistakes.

I have a feeling you will be much more careful with your equipment after this.

Unfortunately this has been a hard lesson for you to learn.
thanks, mom.
it was a good 5 year relationship. All things must pass as George Harrison once said. Anyone want to buy a SR5008 - cheap?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone want to buy a SR5008 - cheap?
If I understood you correctly the thing still makes sound through the speakers, just no video output right? Have you try a different HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI input on the TV? It sounded like you may just need a new HDMI board but it will probably still cost you $200 or more to repair.

By the way you mentioned .ca so you are in Canada, Gibby has "B" stocks, such as $499 for the X2400H or $599 for the X3400H:

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/?post_type=product&s=avr-x2400h

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
If I understood you correctly the thing still makes sound through the speakers, just no video output right? Have you try a different HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI input on the TV? It sounded like you may just need a new HDMI board but it will probably still cost you $200 or more to repair.

By the way you mentioned .ca so you are in Canada, Gibby has "B" stocks, such as $499 for the X2400H or $599 for the X3400H:

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/?post_type=product&s=avr-x2400h

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
thanks Peng. Did check out Gibby and they don't have any that I'm looking for in stock. Found an x2400h which I heard is great on Amazon.ca and ordered that just now, brand new. Will check out Gibby again. Anyone heard much about this denon line? :)

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
I was looking at the Marantz SR5011 which is instock at Gibby vs the Denon AVRX 2400H. Any thoughts re these 2? I use the receiver mostly for upscaling movies and watching tv. Sometimes but not often music also. Advice?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was looking at the Marantz SR5011 which is instock at Gibby vs the Denon AVRX 2400H. Any thoughts re these 2? I use the receiver mostly for upscaling movies and watching tv. Sometimes but not often music also. Advice?
The sr5011 is better because it has 7.1 pre-outs, but it is a 2016 model so make it comes with the 3 year manufacturer warranty.

F

fernicus

Audioholic Intern
The sr5011 is better because it has 7.1 pre-outs, but it is a 2016 model so make it comes with the 3 year manufacturer warranty.
hey Peng, the only catch is that it comes as Bstock from Gibby's which is a used reseller. I think they give you only a 1 yr warranty on their Bstock. So now to decide between the Marantz SR5012 and the Denon AVRX3400 they have onsite. Of course, the rep at Gibby's who was just amazing recommended trying out the Anthem! receiver they had there also. Sheesh....... Any thoughts? the Marantz I would imagine. Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis