J

Jack N

Audioholic
Does anyone know where I can get speaker jack wall plates that accept 8 gauge speaker wire? The only place I know of is GLS Audio, but they only market one configuration of wall plate.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know where I can get speaker jack wall plates that accept 8 gauge speaker wire? The only place I know of is GLS Audio, but they only market one configuration of wall plate.
How far are you running 8ga wire? That's usually way overkill.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I have a couple of long runs that require 10ga. Decided to use 8ga just to make sure it wouldn't affect the signal. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

FYI - Just found out GLS has decided to stop making/marketing all wall plates. When they run out of what they have, that's it. Shame. I suppose I'll have to try drilling the holes larger on whatever brand I decide to go to, unless somebody can tell me where to look.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a couple of long runs that require 10ga. Decided to use 8ga just to make sure it wouldn't affect the signal. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

FYI - Just found out GLS has decided to stop making/marketing all wall plates. When they run out of what they have, that's it. Shame. I suppose I'll have to try drilling the holes larger on whatever brand I decide to go to, unless somebody can tell me where to look.
8ga isnt a common call for home audio. You might be able to use neutrik wall plates and terminate one end of the speaker cable.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Thanks for the tip. Interesting website but wasn't able to find wall plates.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Define 'long'. Why do you think you need 8ga wire?

Unless you're going more than 150', 8ga is overkill and at that distance, you would be much better off using a 70V or 100V system or putting the equipment much closer and feeding any signals over IP, balanced Low Z or some other means.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the tip. Interesting website but wasn't able to find wall plates.
I couldn't find any for 8ga. I thought I had seen some for 30amp generator cords, but cant recall. I'd just strip some of the wire back to accept 12ga plates.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Thanks to everyone for your input. I’m happy to report I’ve finally found a place selling wall plates that will accept 8-gauge speaker wire. In case there happens to be someone else looking for the same thing, go to www.CableWholesale.com The website doesn’t state what size wire they’ll take, or what size the hole is, so I emailed them to find out. They say the holes are 4.75mm which is 0.187". That should be large enough for 8-gauge. Unfortunately they only come in white, so I’ll have to paint them. Not a big deal. I’m dangerous with spray paint. HA.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis