BENQ HT2150ST OR HT3050

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
They are the same price at best buy what do you think?

the 2150 has a projector distance of 15M while the 3050 has a 5.23m distance

lamp life on the 3050 is at 7000 hours give or take while the 2050 is at 3500

the 2150 is brighter but I don't game that much...

The contrast on the 3150 is at 10000:1 while the 2150 is at 15000:0 (Is this a large difference?

Overall, I am thinking the 3050 because of lamp life??????

Or is the 2550 worth the upgrade for an extra $500?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/compare-result.aspx?ProductIds=10584932,10394205&returnPath=/en-ca/category/projectors-accessories/22225.aspx?type=product&filter=category%253aTV%2B%2526%2BHome%2BTheatre%253bcategory%253aProjectors%2B%2526%2BAccessories%253bbrandName%253aBENQ

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I don't have a projector set up, but when it comes to video, I do know that contrast ratio is huge. My 2 cents is to go with the brighter projector, get the greater projection distance, and the greater contrast ratio. I'd be looking at the bulb life as the cost of doing business with a projector and wouldn't let that effect my decision.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I don't have a projector set up, but when it comes to video, I do know that contrast ratio is huge. My 2 cents is to go with the brighter projector, get the greater projection distance, and the greater contrast ratio. I'd be looking at the bulb life as the cost of doing business with a projector and wouldn't let that effect my decision.
Yeaaa the 3050 with a 5.23 M projector distance is plenty.... Just not sure if that contrast ratio is a noticaeble difference. This is temp projector for a few years and then We'll get the JVC.

OHHH the 3050 is also WIFI! That's important!

I also have complete light control in the room. I can have it night black.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Alright, slow down some. We need to go through the basics. I know it can be a bit obnoxious for us Americans, but do you mind switching things over to feet and inches? I wish I could think in metric, but I just can't and end up having to Google all the measurements to get them back over to the imperial system.

Please answer all of these questions the best you can, all of them matter a fair bit in the determination of a solid entry level projector for you to get.

Why do you say 'wi-fi' is important?
What is your room size you intend to use the projector in?
How far away from the screen wall do you intend to sit?
What is your ceiling height?
What is your ability to run wiring for the projector?
What screen size are you hoping to achieve in this room?
What color are your walls?
What color is your ceiling?
What color if your floor?
What material is your floor?
Can you paint the room? Do you intend to?
You mention that you have 'light control' in the room, but does that just mean you have no windows, or what does that really mean? Theaters have 'full light control' most of the rest of us really don't.

The BenQ 2150ST is a short throw projector. It has any number of throw distances and some zoom depending on screen size and your needs, but it is SHORT THROW so should only be used in rooms where short throw is required. I'm guessing you meant 1.5m not 15m.

The 2150 is similar to the HT2050A in design and quality but the HT2050A is the better of the two models to be considering.

From there, you get to the DLP Faux-k models like the 2550. The 4K models are nice as they add some new specifications and really it seems like we are at an absolute end to the development of 1080p projectors on the market from major manufacturers as they have all moved into the 4K DLP chipset. So, what is out there in 1080p land will be it.

Contrast matters a great deal, but doesn't vary tremendously between cheaper DLP models. Though they tend to perform better than the LCD models at the same price point, they aren't amazing, they are just 'solid'. The realistic contrast, in a near perfect room, is about 1,400:1. Ignore claims that exceed 2,000:1 on all the cheap projectors. They just can't come close. Oh, and the DLP 4K models do WORSE than the 1080p models typically are capable of delivering.

A note about wi-fi... Projectors are NOT a wireless product. HDMI is not a wireless way to deliver video. Projectors have crappy built-in speakers, or no speakers at all, and they are not 'smart' devices. If you want to stream video files from Netflix (or similar) get a streaming device like a Roku or Amazon stick and plug it in. It's better to use better speakers than what the projector has, and most people just get a surround sound audio system to run things. It's better to spend $500 on audio, then spend it on a so-so upgrade to the projector. It's also useless to try to run videos or anything over wi-fi. Uncompressed HDMI starts at about 3Gbs. A fast wired network is 1Gbs. A fast wireless network isn't that fast. So, you aren't running videos over wi-fi with any quality. You will need power & HDMI run to the projector for it to perform well. Leave the 'smart' wi-fi streaming devices to manufacturers that specialize in such components. AppleTV, Amazon Fire, Roku.

There are many considerations overall, and it sounds like you may need some basics to go through before you pull the trigger on anything.

I'm happy to fill in more details, but please do answer the questions above. After the answers, give your thoughts and goals and help paint a picture of what you want to do. Budget is a part of that, but your budget impacts the goal and the goal impacts the budget. If budget is firm, then the goal may have to shift around a bit.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Alright, slow down some. We need to go through the basics. I know it can be a bit obnoxious for us Americans, but do you mind switching things over to feet and inches? I wish I could think in metric, but I just can't and end up having to Google all the measurements to get them back over to the imperial system. Gladly :)

Please answer all of these questions the best you can, all of them matter a fair bit in the determination of a solid entry level projector for you to get.

Why do you say 'wi-fi' is important? I forgot that I don't use my PS4 for netflix anymore since it is offered VIA cable package so I guess it isn't that important.
What is your room size you intend to use the projector in? about 35 feet X 14 feet HOWEVER, viewing distance is at 13 feet and the projector would be mounted at
How far away from the screen wall do you intend to sit? 14 feet The projector would ideally be mounted 10.5 feet away from the screen. The manual says a minimum of 9.96 feet. The manual says average projector from screen is 11.4 feet.
What is your ceiling height? 7.5 feet
What is your ability to run wiring for the projector? Drop ceiling so I can run wire anywhere.
What screen size are you hoping to achieve in this room? 120 inches
What color are your walls? Black
What color is your ceiling? Black
What color if your floor? Dark carpet
What material is your floor? see above
Can you paint the room? Do you intend to? No need!
You mention that you have 'light control' in the room, but does that just mean you have no windows, or what does that really mean? Theaters have 'full light control' most of the rest of us really don't. No windows

The BenQ 2150ST is a short throw projector. It has any number of throw distances and some zoom depending on screen size and your needs, but it is SHORT THROW so should only be used in rooms where short throw is required. I'm guessing you meant 1.5m not 15m. The BenQ site says it will work with a minimum distance of 1.5M but the best buy site says up to 15m. the best buy site could be wrong. I didn't realize that it was a short throw. The 3050 also works as a short throw projector with as little distance as 2.5M.... I don't need the short throw capability. Does this compromise performance?

The 2150 is similar to the HT2050A in design and quality but the HT2050A is the better of the two models to be considering.

From there, you get to the DLP Faux-k models like the 2550. The 4K models are nice as they add some new specifications and really it seems like we are at an absolute end to the development of 1080p projectors on the market from major manufacturers as they have all moved into the 4K DLP chipset. So, what is out there in 1080p land will be it.

Contrast matters a great deal, but doesn't vary tremendously between cheaper DLP models. Though they tend to perform better than the LCD models at the same price point, they aren't amazing, they are just 'solid'. The realistic contrast, in a near perfect room, is about 1,400:1. Ignore claims that exceed 2,000:1 on all the cheap projectors. They just can't come close. Oh, and the DLP 4K models do WORSE than the 1080p models typically are capable of delivering.

A note about wi-fi... Projectors are NOT a wireless product. HDMI is not a wireless way to deliver video. Projectors have crappy built-in speakers, or no speakers at all, and they are not 'smart' devices. If you want to stream video files from Netflix (or similar) get a streaming device like a Roku or Amazon stick and plug it in. It's better to use better speakers than what the projector has, and most people just get a surround sound audio system to run things. It's better to spend $500 on audio, then spend it on a so-so upgrade to the projector. It's also useless to try to run videos or anything over wi-fi. Uncompressed HDMI starts at about 3Gbs. A fast wired network is 1Gbs. A fast wireless network isn't that fast. So, you aren't running videos over wi-fi with any quality. You will need power & HDMI run to the projector for it to perform well. Leave the 'smart' wi-fi streaming devices to manufacturers that specialize in such components. AppleTV, Amazon Fire, Roku. I'm on it :)

There are many considerations overall, and it sounds like you may need some basics to go through before you pull the trigger on anything.

I'm happy to fill in more details, but please do answer the questions above. After the answers, give your thoughts and goals and help paint a picture of what you want to do. Budget is a part of that, but your budget impacts the goal and the goal impacts the budget. If budget is firm, then the goal may have to shift around a bit.
Please find the answers above in your quoted text in red.

My goal is to get the new JVC true 4k projector at I think somewhere around 7K CAD... this will fill the void for a couple of years until that comes. I am looking at 1000K. Something with good colour and contrast. faux 4k would be nice but I don't think this is available at $1000. I am interested in hearing your thoughts around the subject. Thanks so much. I've added a pic of my listening space below. The green tape is 120 inche on the diagonal. The t.v. on the wall is 50 inches to give you perspective.

front.jpg

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Looking at your room setup, I would put some consideration into blacking out certain aspects of the room if you can and moving your components from the front of the room. No immediate rush, but long term, you don't want amber and green flashing lights directly below a projected image. Moving them to storage or figuring out a equipment rack location is a great way to go. I can't tell what color the ceiling is, and certainly the gloss white trim could be painted flat black to give it that theater look. Then the carpet could be swapped if you want to.

The alcove space is nice, and you really will have good luck with a standard white screen on that wall.

On the entry level side, the BenQ HT2050A is a go-to model and will give you a solid image.

Once again... You don't need wi-fi, and you must wire for it just as you would for any TV. With the gear it looks like you have, there is no reason not to add in a Roku or similar to stream shows as you want.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Looking at your room setup, I would put some consideration into blacking out certain aspects of the room if you can and moving your components from the front of the room. No immediate rush, but long term, you don't want amber and green flashing lights directly below a projected image. Moving them to storage or figuring out a equipment rack location is a great way to go. I can't tell what color the ceiling is, and certainly the gloss white trim could be painted flat black to give it that theater look. Then the carpet could be swapped if you want to.

The alcove space is nice, and you really will have good luck with a standard white screen on that wall.

On the entry level side, the BenQ HT2050A is a go-to model and will give you a solid image.

Once again... You don't need wi-fi, and you must wire for it just as you would for any TV. With the gear it looks like you have, there is no reason not to add in a Roku or similar to stream shows as you want.
Thanks for the recommendations. So you figure the 2050A over the ones I suggested. Just wondering how come since it is an older model. I agree with you about the equipment rack. I am thinking about a solution. I may build a grill with black speaker fabric like the fabric I used on the panels and install it on the component table thing that I have with magnets. The white looks very white in the picture but with the lights off you can barely notice it so I will probably just leave it. The ceiling is the same colour as the walls. Its a shade of black because I wanted a bit of contrast with the panels and the walls. I will be getting a fixed Seymour screen and looking forward to it. Ill take a look at the 2050A now :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The HT2050A was release in February of this year. So, it's not an older model. It isn't the 2550 which is a 4K model, but it's less money. It uses the higher contrast 1080p chip from Texas Instruments and it is the well developed progression model of the W1070 from a few years back.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050A.htm

The price to quality point on this projector is outstanding. It has faster processing than the 3050 and while the 3050 is rated with better contrast, in real world testing this has proven to really not be visible in almost all viewing conditions. So, you get a better value in the HT2050A on a entry level system.

The 2550 is a 4K projector, which adds some capability, but gives up some contrast. You also have to really prepare with all 4K capable equipment and proper 4K sources along the way. Maybe you are good with that, maybe not. But, at this point, I wold probably wait as I expect to see native 4K from JVC and Sony come a lot closer to the $3,000 price point within a few years and the cheap 1080p models do look very good for the money.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
The HT2050A was release in February of this year. So, it's not an older model. It isn't the 2550 which is a 4K model, but it's less money. It uses the higher contrast 1080p chip from Texas Instruments and it is the well developed progression model of the W1070 from a few years back.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050A.htm

The price to quality point on this projector is outstanding. It has faster processing than the 3050 and while the 3050 is rated with better contrast, in real world testing this has proven to really not be visible in almost all viewing conditions. So, you get a better value in the HT2050A on a entry level system.

The 2550 is a 4K projector, which adds some capability, but gives up some contrast. You also have to really prepare with all 4K capable equipment and proper 4K sources along the way. Maybe you are good with that, maybe not. But, at this point, I wold probably wait as I expect to see native 4K from JVC and Sony come a lot closer to the $3,000 price point within a few years and the cheap 1080p models do look very good for the money.

Great thank you! I ordered the HT2050A today for 850 CAD + tax :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis