Thoughts on Kef T series for surround and or rears?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
https://smile.amazon.com/KEF-T205-Home-Theater-System/dp/B00CFEXF2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543255478&sr=8-1&keywords=kef+205&th=1#customerReviews

I'm thinking of getting the t205 package and using the 301's as rears and 201's as surrounds in my family room. Wife likes the low profile concept. Are these comparable to other choices? Good idea or bad?
If your shopping for your wife she will like them :p the speakers themselves are not bad, the sub is meh... how large is your room and does it open to others rooms?

N

newbster

Enthusiast
The room is an acoustical nightmare as it's open to a library above and open in the rear to the dining room. Roughly 25x30 feet but open as described. I would use the sub as a second sub in the system.

N

newbster

Enthusiast
Any others? Are these a good choice for surrounds quality wise?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The room is an acoustical nightmare as it's open to a library above and open in the rear to the dining room. Roughly 25x30 feet but open as described. I would use the sub as a second sub in the system.
They couldn't possibly fill the entire room but could do ok if you sit around 10' from the display. If your wife is asking for the style, see if inwall fronts would be acceptable, you would get a better quality sound.
If you do get the system, you would be well served to get two different subs using a 100/120hz crossover to help fill out the room.

What AVR do you have or planning on?

N

newbster

Enthusiast
I'm intending for these to be the surround and rear speakers, prob use the sub as a second sub. The receiver is a yamaha 2070. I'm basically building out our family room. I'll probably use my existing Cambridge Soundworks sub for the main. The center is a Klipsch rp-440c I chose due to center height restrictions. I have four meh Polk Audios for the height channels. I'm still looking for some good left/right mains to replace what I have. I figure I'll choose those based on everything else.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm intending for these to be the surround and rear speakers, prob use the sub as a second sub. The receiver is a yamaha 2070. I'm basically building out our family room. I'll probably use my existing Cambridge Soundworks sub for the main. The center is a Klipsch rp-440c I chose due to center height restrictions. I have four meh Polk Audios for the height channels. I'm still looking for some good left/right mains to replace what I have. I figure I'll choose those based on everything else.
If you have a Klipsch center the usual route would be Klipsch mains. For surrounds the KEFs are fine. I'd still consider some better subs from the likes of HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Etc. What's your budget ?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
N

newbster

Enthusiast
Too much for that package and room size -- I would aim for something else -- however your call
Could you elaborate? I'm wide open to ideas. I'm looking for a decent sounding system for our family room. It's no sound chamber and I'm trying to have a decent Atmos system that is not going to stress the wife who isn't wild about a room of speakers. By all means, toss out ideas.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Family rooms are full of compromises. Especially when you have a family. I dont suffer from WAF, but I do share the same concerns that most wives do. I want the main room to look nice. Im lucky enough to have a dedicated room so compromises in the family room are fine, but if I only had the one living room setup I would be opting for nice looking speakers, even if sound quality suffered some. I'd likely do a 100% in wall and in ceiling setup in that case.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Could you elaborate? I'm wide open to ideas. I'm looking for a decent sounding system for our family room. It's no sound chamber and I'm trying to have a decent Atmos system that is not going to stress the wife who isn't wild about a room of speakers. By all means, toss out ideas.
For more punch and volume and not really big speakers

You have a Klipsch center -- and the Klipsch RP-150 is not that big and on special
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP150ME/Klipsch-Reference-Premiere-RP-150M-Ebony.html

If you want to hang some wall surround speakers -- the HTD Versa will have more box volume
https://www.htd.com/Versa-SB1

The Monolith 10 sub is on special
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24456&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8_PfBRC3ARIsAOzJ2upnxWUPuOe7NA7U4EfI2HCuRYrN-3XR83vud2t9sHe8zfPg70BeHuQaAgGQEALw_wcB

N

newbster

Enthusiast
Should I prefer dipole speakers for the back or sides?

How much should I stick with one brand vs finding the best match for a position as long as it compliments the rest?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I used to be fans of dipoles. Ran them for years because I thought a diffused sound was the way to go. When I upgraded my main 3 front speakers I decided to retry them in non dipole mode (mine have a switch to go back and forth) and with a 7 speaker system it sounds much better in regular mode to me. I think dipole would be beneficial if the surrounds were forced to be very close to the listener, but other wise I would go regular speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis