JBL Black Friday deals: Studio 590s: $450 each shipped, Studio 520: $180 shipped

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The behavior of the horn on the Studio 500 series is something I have been very curious about for some time. I would have loved to get one on my testing rig. Sadly it looks like they are clearencing out that line.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Same price I paid a couple years ago for my 590s. I do like them quite a bit.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The behavior of the horn on the Studio 500 series is something I have been very curious about for some time. I would have loved to get one on my testing rig. Sadly it looks like they are clearencing out that line.
Damn I like there look I know some say they are polarizing but I like them. Too bad I'm commited to SVS cuz these look nice and all the reviews point to a great speaker

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Damn I like there look I know some say they are polarizing but I like them. Too bad I'm commited to SVS cuz these look nice and all the reviews point to a great speaker
I'n not sure how they are polarizing. These will sport a very neutral response. I guess there are those who will snub horns no matter what, and that would be due to ignorance.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'n not sure how they are polarizing. These will sport a very neutral response. I guess there are those who will snub horns no matter what, and that would be due to ignorance.
I meant polarizing in appearance some people seem to love them some people don't. Yeah I actually like horns if there well designed. If I hadn't fallen in love with those SVS prime towers and want to go to the ultra's these speakers with that sale would be super high on my list

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant polarizing in appearance some people seem to love them some people don't. Yeah I actually like horns if there well designed. If I hadn't fallen in love with those SVS prime towers and want to go to the ultra's these speakers with that sale would be super high on my list
That's how I took your comment. That was one hesitation I had myself. They grow on you and I've gotten surprisingly good comments from people who give a crap about speakers generally....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's how I took your comment. That was one hesitation I had myself. They grow on you and I've gotten surprisingly good comments from people who give a crap about speakers generally....
I actually think they look really cool. I like speakers that have a distinctive look that stand out from the crowd

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I actually think they look really cool. I like speakers that have a distinctive look that stand out from the crowd
Agreed, I just was thinking about appearance from a traditional speaker POV at first. They at least avoid the usual silly stuff over grills interfering with the precious high frequency response :) (but I do keep the lower grills for the other drivers in place as it's not particularly attractive)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, not even same type (CMMD dome in the 230, compression driver in the 590). The 520c has the same compression driver as the 590, tho

Last edited:
M

mx416

Audioholic
Just want to put my 2 cents in.

I have listened to the 590s on many occasions. The room was roughly 14x18 room with 8 foot ceilings. They were paired with a svs 12” tube sub.

I thought they were great speakers. The stand out to me was the horn. The tweeter never faltered at high volumes when pushed.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
No, not even same type (CMMD dome in the 230, compression driver in the 590). The 520c has the same compression driver as the 590, tho
the reason i ask is because i had the 230s and liked them alot. but then there was a sale on klipsch rp280 towers and bought them and returned the 230s. i ended up selling the klipsch 280s because although i liked them a lot, i thought i would like a little more detail. so i sold them

now im looking at emotiva b1s or the towers because i read they are more detailed, but i read the emotivas although have detail which i want most of all, they might be a little too recessed in the treble (boring). i dont want warm speakers.

so now im thinking about the 590s and the 520 center might be my best bet now. i want detailed and high sensitivity speakers because i play loud. but im having a hard time pulling the trigger on the 590s because of the accompanying center and wondering if they are detailed enough for my liking. i want to hear pin drops, etc. last day on sale to decide if i choose the 590s

i have hsu vtf2 mk5 sub so the bass is there. i just want a good detailed tweeter and not boring (warm).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
the reason i ask is because i had the 230s and liked them alot. but then there was a sale on klipsch rp280 towers and bought them and returned the 230s. i ended up selling the klipsch 280s because although i liked them a lot, i thought i would like a little more detail. so i sold them

now im looking at emotiva b1s or the towers because i read they are more detailed, but i read the emotivas although have detail which i want most of all, they might be a little too recessed in the treble (boring). i dont want warm speakers.

so now im thinking about the 590s and the 520 center might be my best bet now. i want detailed and high sensitivity speakers because i play loud. but im having a hard time pulling the trigger on the 590s because of the accompanying center and wondering if they are detailed enough for my liking. i want to hear pin drops, etc. last day on sale to decide if i choose the 590s
Mostly what makes a speaker detailed is elevated high frequency output. If you want more detail from a speaker, just EQ its response to bump up 8 kHz and above. The tweeter type doesn't matter. The Hsu CCB-8 might have the kind of response that you are looking for on its direct-axis, although its not quite intended to be listened to on direct axis. The 590s are likely going to have a neutral response. I would expect them to sound accurate but not especially detailed.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Mostly what makes a speaker detailed is elevated high frequency output. If you want more detail from a speaker, just EQ its response to bump up 8 kHz and above. The tweeter type doesn't matter. The Hsu CCB-8 might have the kind of response that you are looking for on its direct-axis, although its not quite intended to be listened to on direct axis. The 590s are likely going to have a neutral response. I would expect them to sound accurate but not especially detailed.
well i did like the 230s. good sale on them right now plus the center. i have aams which i like a lot but using one as a center. doesnt look right standing upright in front of the tv stand. the aams are a bit rolled off the top and i would like a bit more treble. in my situation would you order the 230s and 235 center to replace them? i could use the aams for my desktop and sell the extra aam im using as a center.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you just tried what shadyj suggested, boosting the treble on the speakers to see if that's what you're looking for rather than changing speakers? LOL as to looking right, centers generally don't look right :)

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Have you just tried what shadyj suggested, boosting the treble on the speakers to see if that's what you're looking for rather than changing speakers? LOL as to looking right, centers generally don't look right :)
not sure how to boost treble.

eq its response to 8khz is greek to me. do i need to download the denon x3300 app to do that?

i have audyssey set to flat instead of reference because i read reference rolls off the treble. flat setting isnt enough treble for me. i understand the aams treble is rolled of but i really like them. would love to keep them isntead of changing speakers.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
not sure how to boost treble.

eq its response to 8khz is greek to me. do i need to download the denon x3300 app to do that?

i have audyssey set to flat instead of reference because i read reference rolls off the treble. flat setting isnt enough treble for me. i understand the aams treble is rolled of but i really like them. would love to keep them isntead of changing speakers.
Try turning off Audyssey and just using the graphic eq mode or even the tone control mode with treble. Maybe just try the Audyssey mode of Bypass L/R? Is your room particularly dead acoustically?

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Try turning off Audyssey and just using the graphic eq mode or even the tone control mode with treble. Maybe just try the Audyssey mode of Bypass L/R? Is your room particularly dead acoustically?
im novice. its an 11x11square room. i count on audyssey to make the speakers and sub sound the best they can.

i like audyssey flat the most, i think. id rather keep audyssey on because it measures the speakers distances and levels. i raised the center channel a couple db.

but since you mentioned it. maybe with audyssey off i could experiment. but i dont know if the measurements will stay

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis