Oppo 103d is not 4k?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I thought this player was a 4k player, was I wrong? Says it upconverts 4k. I almost had a heart attack when I popped in my brand new copy of the matrix 4k with atmos and it wouldnt read the disk. I dont have a 4k PJ but really wanted the atmos sound track. Thank god they included a 2nd 1080p disk that has the atmos sound track, but I guess I won't be able to watch anything that comes out 4k atmos only? Kinda lame considering what I paid for that player. Oppo takes yet another punch at me. Personally, I'm glad they dropped their bd player line. I've had a couple of their players now and both turned out to me missing some key thing I wanted. Glad my next player will be another brand some day.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
4K didn't exist (edit: I meant "didn't exist" as in there weren't really any 4K discs available to the public...it was not yet a viable format) when they manufactured the 103-D. When 4K became a reality, they came out with the 203 and 205. Why blame Oppo? Be careful when you make your next purchase with another company. You might do the same thing to yourself again.

Last edited:
D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I guess, but how does it perform 4k upscaling then if 4k did not exist in '12? Wouldnt that require certain hardware to pull off?

Why blame Oppo? F Oppo. I've hated that company for years. The only reason I started down that rabbit hole is I made a bad choice 10 years ago to buy an anamorphic lens and a 2.35 screen. They were the only ones to offer vertical stretch and subtitle shift which was a requirement at the time. I started with the 93. Found out it could not vertically stretch some media if it was Java based. Ended up downgrading to an older model 83 because it worked on ALL content. That was annoying. The 83 worked fine for years then one day some dts tracks wouldnt play properly because the player wouldnt support seamless branching which 30 dollar walmart players were doing. Ended up upgrading to the 103d under protest. Now I find out it supports 4k upscaling but not a 4k disk which seems very odd to me. But it is what it is.

About a year ago I found out the oppo cannot vertically stretch netflix usng its built in netflix app which was even more annoying. I ended up throwing my 2.35 screen in the trash, sold the anamorphic lens, and remodelled my theater using 16x9 to avoid giving this company money for a 4th player. So now that I need a newer player, I don't need to throw a bunch of money at oppo anymore, thank god!

For a company that charges a hefty premium for a player, they have never been very forward thinking at all. I'm very glad the market left them behind and put that division out of business. They are the only garbage product Ive ever had in my theater and I look forward to creatively blowing up the 103d whenever I replace it.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I guess, but how does it perform 4k upscaling then if 4k did not exist in '12? Wouldnt that require certain hardware to pull off?

Why blame Oppo? F Oppo. I've hated that company for years. The only reason I started down that rabbit hole is I made a bad choice 10 years ago to buy an anamorphic lens and a 2.35 screen. They were the only ones to offer vertical stretch and subtitle shift which was a requirement at the time. I started with the 93. Found out it could not vertically stretch some media if it was Java based. Ended up downgrading to an older model 83 because it worked on ALL content. That was annoying. The 83 worked fine for years then one day some dts tracks wouldnt play properly because the player wouldnt support seamless branching which 30 dollar walmart players were doing. Ended up upgrading to the 103d under protest. Now I find out it supports 4k upscaling but not a 4k disk which seems very odd to me. But it is what it is.

About a year ago I found out the oppo cannot vertically stretch netflix usng its built in netflix app which was even more annoying. I ended up throwing my 2.35 screen in the trash, sold the anamorphic lens, and remodelled my theater using 16x9 to avoid giving this company money for a 4th player. So now that I need a newer player, I don't need to throw a bunch of money at oppo anymore, thank god!

For a company that charges a hefty premium for a player, they have never been very forward thinking at all. I'm very glad the market left them behind and put that division out of business. They are the only garbage product Ive ever had in my theater and I look forward to creatively blowing up the 103d whenever I replace it.
I think 4k resolution existed by the time it has been made and thus it has the upscaling capability. 4k discs didnt exist by the time and thus they cannot support them either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis