Favorite Concert(s)?

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I got tickets to see Bob Seger and I'm pretty psyched about it. He's on my bucket list of shows to see before the artist or I die. Getting harder to complete the list as we are all getting older.

As for great shows, I highly recommend seeing Paul McCartney if you can. I could go on with a bigger list, but if I could onlt list one show to see, Paul McCartney would be the show.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I saw Paul McCartney and Wings in 1976.

Good show.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Best concert I ever went to was the smashing pumpkins in the mid 90s. garbage opened up for them, she was hot back then. My gf of the time worked for Coke who had box seats at the arco arena in sacramento. They gave them out to employees some times and she got those for the concert. It was pretty awesome. It was a non alcoholic event but they had lots of it in the boxes! Plus food, all free! Pumpkins did 2 encores that night. Was a pretty cool way for a poor boy to spend the evening.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Tool in 1994 was my favorite one. This was right when the Undertow album was released.

Primus I also enjoyed a lot. Saw them in the mid 90s.

Dave Mathews did a surprise benefit in a local park here in the late 90s or 2000? (I was only about 20 ft away). Dave is just so amazing in person.

Garth Brooks puts on quite a performance. He was here this year.

I have to admit my first concert ever was Depeche Mode in the late 80s or early 90s. At the time I really enjoyed that show too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to pick one. Been to quite a few, at one point even worked in concert logistics work and had plenty of back stage/free passes. Think my favorites were probably the free ones in Golden Gate Park in the early 70s, though. Journey (pre-Perry),Santana, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna, etc. I like club shows, a couple that stand out in my mind were a Joe Jackson show (Jumpin'Jive tour) and a Grandmothers of Invention show. Some Michael Hedges shows in various venues, particularly one gorgeous night on the lawn up in Napa.... Tons of great memories with good friends mostly :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Dating myself but my favorite was Led Zeppelin @ Three Rivers Stadium Pittsburgh on the Stairway to Heaven tour back in the 70s. Second was seeing Ricky Nelson @ Billy Bobs Texas on New Years eve exactly one year before he died in a plane crash. Still love "Garden Party"

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bowie Glass Spider Tour at MSG. Best sounding concert I've ever been to.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Damn tough question!
Jazz: I've seen Michael Brecker blow several times, once around the Don't Try This at Home period with his EWI, and another much later... unbelievable. I've had the pleasure to sit in front of Stanley Turentine, Keith Jarret, and McCoy Tyner: all stunning. But... Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter was transcendent.
Orchestral: I was blessed to grow up in St Louis with Leonard Slatkin conducting the orchestra and have seen some magnificent performances... but MTT conducting the SF Symphony Orchestra performing the Rite of Spring
Comedy: No Brainer... George Carlin at Davies Symphony Hall...
Hip Hop: KRS-ONE at the Red Devil Lounge in SF
Rock... Chuck Berry? ZZ-Top? Hell, Billy Joel back in the 80's?
Let's do this:
Best memory: Tom Petty at Shoreline Amphitheater with Los Lobos opening... Encore, Last Dance, and the whole Lawn erupts in lighter flames as EVERYONE lit-up.
Most Fun: Poi Dog Pondering, Blue Note in Columbia MO btw 1992-1998
Best intimate Full-Band experience: Los Lobos at the Filmore in SF
Favorite Rock Concert (all without the band) is a 3-way tie, all sharing one thing in common... The Artist, Solo with their Instrument.
Nick Cave at the Palace Of Fine Arts in SF just a day or two prior to seeing him with the Bad Seeds at the Warfield.
Ben Folds at the Filmore.
Matt Johnson (The The) at the Filmore

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Damn tough question!
Jazz: I've seen Michael Brecker blow several times, once around the Don't Try This at Home period with his EWI, and another much later... unbelievable.
I saw him at this same time frame (1988) at the Blue Note in NYC with Mike Stern, Adam Nassbaum, Jeff Andrews, and Joey Pizzarelli. I was sitting at the right end of the piano watching Joey play. We had gotten there early and got to talk with everyone. Michael Brecker was not very communicative (I think he was getting into his zone), but Mike Stern was really down to earth. Great concert.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have to admit my first concert ever was Depeche Mode in the late 80s or early 90s. At the time I really enjoyed that show too.
Another Beauty! Don't be ashamed. ;) DM was probably the first "modern group" I listened to back in '90... used to practice conducting to "Nothing to Fear" from Broken Frame.
Had a chance to see them for the Violator tour, but somebody made fun of me for suggesting it. "just a buncha f**s standing around playing keyboards." Whoever said HS is the best time of your life was smoking the wrong sh!t! F them.
Have you listened to Spirit from 2017? Good work. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I saw him at this same time frame (1988) at the Blue Note in NYC with Mike Stern, Adam Nassbaum, Jeff Andrews, and Joey Pizzarelli. I was sitting at the right end of the piano watching Joey play. We had gotten there early and got to talk with everyone. Michael Brecker was not very communicative (I think he was getting into his zone),but Mike Stern was really down to earth. Great concert.
I got to meet him prior to his show at Yoshis in Oakland ~2001... so humble and down to earth. Most people put musicians on a pedestal like a deity. As a musician myself, I think the opposite. Look them in the eye and say Thank you! Whenever I was on stage, it was a conversation without my voice (saxophone). Most Jazzers are the same. We tell stories. ;)
I miss him.

And for a little context

I was too young when Miles passed to understand what we lost. Michael was that moment for me.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Another Beauty! Don't be ashamed. ;) DM was probably the first "modern group" I listened to back in '90... used to practice conducting to "Nothing to Fear" from Broken Frame.
Had a chance to see them for the Violator tour, but somebody made fun of me for suggesting it. "just a buncha f**s standing around playing keyboards." Whoever said HS is the best time of your life was smoking the wrong sh!t! F them.
Have you listened to Spirit from 2017? Good work. ;)
Prefer Music for the Masses over Broken Frame but ya I still listen to the old stuff sometimes. :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Went the the show on the 27th. It was awesome.

Tool and Muse are two others I've seen that are fantastic in concert.

I've seen tons of other bands, but nothing compares to those three.
Ha! It seems I got my dates wrong - I was there on the 27th as well! I don't know why I had it in my mind it was the 28th... It was a really good show, but not the best NIN I have seen. That would be in 2001 (I believe - you know me and dates) at what used to be the Smirnoff in Fair Park. A Perfect Circle opened for them and the concert was the basis for "And All That Could Have Been".

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ha! It seems I got my dates wrong - I was there on the 27th as well! I don't know why I had it in my mind it was the 28th... It was a really good show, but not the best NIN I have seen. That would be in 2001 (I believe - you know me and dates) at what used to be the Smirnoff in Fair Park. A Perfect Circle opened for them and the concert was the basis for "And All That Could Have Been".
Nice. My friend went to both shows. Better setlist the second day, but he said it was way more crowded.

I never got to see them before so it was special for me after being a fan for 20+ years.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis