"Caravan"... What To Do?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Immigration for Europeans through Ellis island was no walk in the park, there were policies and procedures that needed to be followed. Entire families were not guaranteed access to US, individuals were not guaranteed access. Families were split up, husbands wives children were separated...Ellis island was not as glamorous as they teach in US history.

I agree with the current 'plan' as well. Not sure what needs to change. IF there is an increase at the border, yes we need to increase personnel to continue the legal processes and continue moving along. If it comes down to violence at the border...we have a military.
Especially since the arrival of the dreaded caravan is a month off or so....but I guess an extra month for the military to dig in and dig trenches and put down landmines and gun emplacements and all that crap is needed to stop a bunch of desperate folk walking to the border. Europeans came over mostly unchecked was my point, using genocide to clear the land for them....not a great history.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Especially since the arrival of the dreaded caravan is a month off or so....but I guess an extra month for the military to dig in and dig trenches and put down landmines and gun emplacements and all that crap is needed to stop a bunch of desperate folk walking to the border. Europeans came over mostly unchecked was my point, using genocide to clear the land for them....not a great history.
Trump is already talking about using violence against asylum seekers in order to turn on his rabidly racist supporters, by plying their fantasies about murdering brown people. What a sick, vile person. What an absolute degenerate.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Not a great history in that respect, indeed. And, they came by the millions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a great history in that respect, indeed. And, they came by the millions.
And procreated like crazy, especially the damn catholics :) altho the definition of christianity seems to have morphed for those who are comfortable and in bed with the evangelists the right has currently aligned themselves with

A nice summary

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Trump is already talking about using violence against asylum seekers in order to turn on his rabidly racist supporters, by plying their fantasies about murdering brown people. What a sick, vile person. What an absolute degenerate.
He can't seriously suggest that people who have walked for a couple of months to ask for asylum at a border checkpoint would imperil their chance of staying in the U.S. by throwing rocks at troops? He continuously makes statements without first thinking about what he's going to say.

" Asked if he envisions US troops firing on anyone in the groups of migrants, Trump told reporters at the White House: "I hope not. I hope not -- but it's the military." "

As if to say, "well you know what are troops are like - they don't have any rules of engagement and shoot when they feel like it. What are you gonna do?"

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
He can't seriously suggest that people who have walked for a couple of months to ask for asylum at a border checkpoint would imperil their chance of staying in the U.S. by throwing rocks at troops? He continuously makes statements without first thinking about what he's going to say.

" Asked if he envisions US troops firing on anyone in the groups of migrants, Trump told reporters at the White House: "I hope not. I hope not -- but it's the military." "

As if to say, "well you know what are troops are like - they don't have any rules of engagement and shoot when they feel like it. What are you gonna do?"
I don't think troops would obey order to fire on people for throwing rocks, not that people seeking asylum are going to throw rocks at american soldiers. Trump is just stirring up his base by appealing to their bloodthirsty fantasies about killing minorities. Our president is a fat dumb ghoul.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I don't need a plan
No, you don't. Fortunately there is a whole political party that agrees with you. But don't worry. If you like your credibility, you can keep your credibility.
(Now that's funny... I don't care who you are!)

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks for that. Interesting watch for sure.
I was interested in the part about school vouchers since WI has a gubernatorial candidate who wants to abolish them and undo the success that has come with them. The Milwaukee school system is a train wreck that is run by an ever-growing board and the budget for 2019 is over $1.2Billion for a student population of between 76K and 80K and 65% of that goes toward wages and pensions. The different numbers are, I think, due to the new superintendent trying to promote his plan by saying they're adding students. I hope his plan works- the problems that exist because of the poor student/school performance are killing the city. For reference, the whole city's budget is a little over $1.4Billion.

highfigh

highfigh

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/07/05/trump-officials-vow-reunite-3-000-migrant-children-parents/759016002/

Remember this? This never happened. It's been more than 3 months since the deadline. Our country is holding children in cages, and that has your support, apparently. Or at least no condemnation!

Again, if these people were being vetted fairly or appropriately, we would not need to pull funds from public programs and FEMA disaster relief to fund the jails these people are being held in, or to increase the number of jails.

Human trafficking is an enormous problem IN EVERY COUNTRY, including ours. Thats why our country keeps getting nailed by the UN for human rights abuses:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/united-states
So, reunite kids with people who have said they're related, in the event that the kids and their parents separated before they reached the border? Read the article before rebutting that.

I would bet that everyone being held is better fed, housed and receives better medical treatment than they were before they left and I doubt they had cleaner water. They're also doing DNA tests, to find out who's related, or not.

So, you want to just let everyone through? Where will they go? Where will they live? How will they provide for themselves and the kids? How will they receive medical treatment? If they have no way to address these questions, they're better off in the detention centers.

highfigh

highfigh

As much as I enjoy the humor of that, that is a perfect example of another name that really needs to take a more accurate and respectful place in our nation's history!
Why does Columbus deserve a more respectful place in our history? He never set foot on the continent!

highfigh

highfigh

OK. I think you answered my question. You don't have a plan. But you will denigrate and criticize whether we agree on the issue or not. Got it. Thanks for playing.

Now for everybody else, I have another question. When a baby is born on US soil, but neither of his parents are US citizens, should the baby be a citizen? I don't want to debate whether this practice can be changed by Executive Order or not. Let the legal teams work that out. But if you think the baby should be a citizen, I'm interested to hear your reasons.
According to the current Jus Soli laws, they are citizens but at this time, it's also possible to become as citizen at birth if at least one of the parents is a citizen (Jus Sanguinis).

Before anyone gets on their soap box and says the US needs to be more like other countries in this issue, just know that since Ireland amended their Constitution, no European country allows Jus Soli citizenship on an unconditional or near-unconditional basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So, reunite kids with people who have said they're related, in the event that the kids and their parents separated before they reached the border? Read the article before rebutting that.

I would bet that everyone being held is better fed, housed and receives better medical treatment than they were before they left and I doubt they had cleaner water. They're also doing DNA tests, to find out who's related, or not.

So, you want to just let everyone through? Where will they go? Where will they live? How will they provide for themselves and the kids? How will they receive medical treatment? If they have no way to address these questions, they're better off in the detention centers.
People are allowed to approach our border to seek asylum. Period.

That means they are detained and their identity confirmed and criminal history checked, and hopefully a medical check up to!

While the above is normal AND constitutional, you fail to realize you are still advocating for and supporting the indefinite holding of these people. Trump has made zero effort to reunite these families, and it is very dehumanizing for you to even question these family relations, AFTER they were forcibly separated.

So what that means is after they have been checked out, YES, they should absolutely be allowed in the country.

Why would you have a problem, with that? Why would you belittle foreign people as if they are somehow incapable of leaving detention after being cleared, and finding housing and a job?

I'm so confused... I thought the problem originally was that immigrants are taking jobs from Americans....

Why does Columbus deserve a more respectful place in our history? He never set foot on the continent!
I said Columbus needs to take a more ACCURATE and RESPECTFUL place in our history. Accuracy because, you are right, he never set foot on the continent. And Respectful, because while we BS ourselves with his greatness by celebrating a national holiday, the reality is he decimated indigenous populations and was more a murderer, than a great explorer!

And for you and @herbu it is called the 14th Amendment:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, you don't. Fortunately there is a whole political party that agrees with you. But don't worry. If you like your credibility, you can keep your credibility.
(Now that's funny... I don't care who you are!)
You go right ahead and make your imaginary plans, pal. Your credibility couldn't get much lower in my mind.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
People are allowed to approach our border to seek asylum. Period.

That means they are detained and their identity confirmed and criminal history checked, and hopefully a medical check up to!

While the above is normal AND constitutional, you fail to realize you are still advocating for and supporting the indefinite holding of these people. Trump has made zero effort to reunite these families, and it is very dehumanizing for you to even question these family relations, AFTER they were forcibly separated.

So what that means is after they have been checked out, YES, they should absolutely be allowed in the country.
what about all the children that have shown up at the border alone? Majority of kids being held are just that, alone, who do they get released to? Toss them on the streets in the states or toss them back to Mexico?
families at the border can be sorted out and joined together, and it is happening. Those that can answer and prove identity are allowed in via the process in play. The big issue is with people who cannot provide any form of identification. Does the US 'tag' them, give them a name, a ssn, make up a story, own them?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
As if to say, "your chances of getting shot goes way up when you approach a group of people with automatic weapons."

I think they would be safer sneeking in the regular way. Hey, we already know that works.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
this country cannot even care for it's own homeless, why bring more in?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis