Absorption panels along ceiling help

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Hello,

I've done searches as suggested but can't seem to find an answer to my question. I would like to line the horizontal corner where the ceiling meets the wall (90 degrees) with panels as the ones in the pics on a 45 degree angle to eliminate the 90 degree corner.

1 - Wondering if this is wise?

2 - If so, should I glue aluminum foil on the back, front or leave the panel with no foil. It is not a reflection point obviously so I am thinking foil on the back because there will be a gap?

Check out the poor quality pics I've linked to. It's a dark room so it's hard to get some light in there. The files are also too large to attach here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vgQmHGwM4M4mNtalticbIDzq1hSzVqKl/view?usp=sharing - panels for black covering.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n63IkiI3bkeAILxeRD4PKJ3hL8Yq38lw/view?usp=sharing - front view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vgQmHGwM4M4mNtalticbIDzq1hSzVqKl/view?usp=sharing - corner of ceiling where I am thinking of putting some panels.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't install any acoustic treatments unless I saw a measurable need for them. Have you taken measurements of the room? Why do you think you need treatments like that?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I wouldn't install any acoustic treatments unless I saw a measurable need for them. Have you taken measurements of the room? Why do you think you need treatments like that?
I would like to do it because corners are no good for sound reproduction. Hence the idea of using foil to reflect HF and improve low frequency. I've been reading a lot about Ethan Winer and according to him it helps. My corner traps also have FRK paper on the back.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would like to do it because corners are no good for sound reproduction. Hence the idea of using foil to reflect HF and improve low frequency. I've been reading a lot about Ethan Winer and according to him it helps. My corner traps also FRK paper on the back.
I don't believe that corners are especially bad for sound reproduction, unless you are listening in a corner. Corners are a good spot for bass traps. Outside of that, I wouldn't bother with them. And I would only put a bass trap in them if there were problems in the measured frequency response. A worthwhile bass trap is a large and unsightly thing. It is only suitable for a dedicated listening room, dedicated home theater room, or mancave.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I don't believe that corners are especially bad for sound reproduction, unless you are listening in a corner. Corners are a good spot for bass traps. Outside of that, I wouldn't bother with them. And I would only put a bass trap in them if there were problems in the measured frequency response. A worthwhile bass trap is a large and unsightly thing. It is only suitable for a dedicated listening room, dedicated home theater room, or mancave.
Yup that's what I am doing. Did you have a look at the pics?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I saw the pics. If you put up bass traps, try to take some before and after measurements, if you are able, to see what effects they have. They may not be worth it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis