Need a recommendation

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Need a recommendation for some tower speakers for a 2-channel system going in a finished basement room that’s 32 x 22. WAF factor is huge here and she prefers a walnut finish, definitely no ash black. I have a line on a set of KEF R700’s for $2k but I haven’t heard those speakers and they aren’t local, and that’s a lot of $ to spend on faith. Also considering Dynaudio Excite x34/38 and have heard good things about Focal but not real familiar with their lineup. Ideally would like to stay around $2k for the pair but could stretch to $2500-3k if it made a ton of sense. I like what I see from Salk, but can’t do a 6-month wait

The room is obviously large and it’s hard surface vinyl plank floors, so not ideal acoustically (there is an area rug and some upholstered furniture), and there won’t be a sub, so I really need a full range speaker. Usage here is almost all music with the occasional game on tv.

Thanks in advance.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
A lot of people seem to like the KEF R series -- and the Focal Aria series

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Need a recommendation for some tower speakers for a 2-channel system going in a finished basement room that’s 32 x 22. WAF factor is huge here and she prefers a walnut finish, definitely no ash black. I have a line on a set of KEF R700’s for $2k but I haven’t heard those speakers and they aren’t local, and that’s a lot of $ to spend on faith. Also considering Dynaudio Excite x34/38 and have heard good things about Focal but not real familiar with their lineup. Ideally would like to stay around $2k for the pair but could stretch to $2500-3k if it made a ton of sense. I like what I see from Salk, but can’t do a 6-month wait
The room is obviously large and it’s hard surface vinyl plank floors, so not ideal acoustically (there is an area rug and some upholstered furniture), and there won’t be a sub, so I really need a full range speaker. Usage here is almost all music with the occasional game on tv.
Thanks in advance.
So, If 6 month wait is not an option, after Salk/Philharmonic audio - the next best option would be Ascend Sierra Tower. Is available in several wooden options:
Satin Espresso: $2098/pr includes satin black base
Satin Dark Cherry: $2098/pr includes satin black base
Satin Black Bamboo: $2098/pr satin black base

Below is Dark Cherry:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Need a recommendation for some tower speakers for a 2-channel system going in a finished basement room that’s 32 x 22. WAF factor is huge here and she prefers a walnut finish, definitely no ash black.

I like what I see from Salk, but can’t do a 6-month wait
I hear you about the long wait for Salk speakers, but based on sound quality alone, it's worth the wait. If you order them now, there will be a time when you'll be glad you waited. The standard SongTowers are priced right at $2k. And curly walnut is one of the standard veneers.

The Salk finishes are also well worth the wait. In fact, I'd say the finishes on my Salk speakers are significantly better looking than any furniture I've owned or seen. You've probably never seen anything quite like the curly wood veneer Salk uses for his standard finishes. If your wife is interested in walnut, she may have a particular shade of walnut in mind. Jim Salk is very good at applying dyes during finishing that can closely match existing furniture you now have or plan to buy. If you speak with Jim Salk, I suggest you get your wife on the phone as well. Let Jim talk to her directly about color and tone.

If you order now, you'll be sure to gripe about the wait (I know I did),but you'll eventually thank me later.

I'm in Maryland. If you're close enough, you're welcome to come hear my speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis