Marantz M-CR611 alternatives?

• Thread starter ericsdeadletteroffice
  • Start date
E

ericsdeadletteroffice

Audioholic Intern
I've read several reviews of this and they seem generally favorable, but also gripe about it being a bit weak on the wattage.

My speakers are BW 685's.

Any others that have a higher wattage in a small footprint?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends if the power suffices for your use but for what it is, it's on the small side already. Do you need these particular features otherwise?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless your room is small and you sit not more than 2 meters, you can do much better if you can find room to fit the $599 Denon AVR-X3400H. That little Denon can do much more than the M-CR611 and I can almost guarantee you will get audibly better sound quality as well.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless your room is small and you sit not more than 2 meters, you can do much better if you can find room to fit the $599 Denon AVR-X3400H. That little Denon can do much more than the M-CR611 and I can almost guarantee you will get audibly better sound quality as well.
But it can't play cds :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But it can't play cds :)
I meant "more" on balance haha.:D Besides, everyone know how, and can rip a CD nowadays.

While on the disc topic, I am still hoping we can soon rip SACDs, I have too many of them and too lazy to play them on the Oppo any more. I know the original PS3 can rip them, that's hard to find and to do I assume. I am not aware of anything else that can do it, and legally..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I meant "more" on balance haha.:D Besides, everyone know how, and can rip a CD nowadays.
I was more curious why the OP wanted this particular set of features, particularly just a limited cd player, in the Marantz.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was more curious why the OP wanted this particular set of features, particularly just a limited cd player, in the Marantz.
I can only assume it is probably motivated by the Marantz sound and separates>integrated>AVR/AVP/Network player/streamers sort of belief, but you have to ask him for the real reasons.

E

ericsdeadletteroffice

Audioholic Intern
I have a Marantz SR6011 receiver and Marantz CD6006. All I use is Phono and CD. I've decided that what I have is overkill, and takes up a ton of space. I like the BW 685's and intend to keep them. I do like the Airplay capability of the 6011. But in the end it's not absolutely necessary. I do like the sound of Marantz. I'm also considering the Marantz HD-AMP1 and pair it with the HD-CD1 as it has a bit more power than the M-CR611. But it doesn't have the Airplay.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Marantz SR6011. All I use is Phono and CD. I've decided that what I have is overkill, and takes up a ton of space. I like the BW 685' and intend to keep them. I do like the Airplay capability of the 6011. But in the end it's not absolutely necessary. I do like the sound of Marantz. I'm also considering the Marantz HD-AMP1 and pair it with the HD-CD1.
You don't already have a separate cd player? Why keep vinyl at all if space is a concern? ;) I don't see the value in the little integrated amp plus another cd player, but you're not explaining a lot either. I've never had such space concerns for components so it's hard for me to understand how such small changes in footprint are meaningful, especially considering the high cost of these relatively mediocre components.

E

ericsdeadletteroffice

Audioholic Intern
You don't already have a separate cd player? Why keep vinyl at all if space is a concern? ;) I don't see the value in the little integrated amp plus another cd player, but you're not explaining a lot either. I've never had such space concerns for components so it's hard for me to understand how such small changes in footprint are meaningful, especially considering the high cost of these relatively mediocre components.
If they are mediocre then please take the time to recommend a smaller footprint better solution. Thanks.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If they are mediocre then please take the time to recommend a smaller footprint better solution. Thanks.
Your B&W speakers need quite a bit of juice, no smaller foot print amps can do the job nicely, not at the same price level anyway. At much higher price point, there may be integrated amps that can handle lower impedance loads on similar or smaller foot prints. Another thing is, you obvious believe in Marantz has a certain sound (a myth from the good old days, but quite understandable:)..) so your choices are more or less limited to what you can find on their website.

E

ericsdeadletteroffice

Audioholic Intern
Your B&W speakers need quite a bit of juice, no smaller foot print amps can do the job nicely, not at the same price level anyway. At much higher price point, there may be integrated amps that can handle lower impedance loads on similar or smaller foot prints. Another thing is, you obvious believe in Marantz has a certain sound (a myth from the good old days, but quite understandable:)..) so your choices are more or less limited to what you can find on their website.
Thanks for the response. I'm certainly not stuck on Marantz, which is the reason I posted here. Doing Google searches I have not found anything else similar to the Marantz HD-AMP1 or M-CR611. I assumed there must be other companies making quality smaller footprint designs and I figured folks here may have some suggestions. But I'm not seeing any.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the response. I'm certainly not stuck on Marantz, which is the reason I posted here. Doing Google searches I have not found anything else similar to the Marantz HD-AMP1 or M-CR611. I assumed there must be other companies making quality smaller footprint designs and I figured folks here may have some suggestions. But I'm not seeing any.
I think you are right about the foot print thing. Denon has similar amps with build in DAC/USB DAC but no CD drive and their models are a few inches wider. Again, the issue with the Marantz ones is that they are not powerful enough for you speakers, unless you listen to them really near field, like two meters maybe..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might check out Emotiva's smaller footprint series (BASX I believe). I'm still having trouble with the need for smaller when using a tt (unless it's one of these maybe :)
minimal tt.png

E

ericsdeadletteroffice

Audioholic Intern
You might check out Emotiva's smaller footprint series (BASX I believe). I'm still having trouble with the need for smaller when using a tt (unless it's one of these maybe :)View attachment 26187
I am fine with my TT. It's the receiver and the CD player that I'd like to move into something more streamlined.

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am fine with my TT. It's the receiver and the CD player that I'd like to move into something more streamlined.

Thanks.
You're worried about wind resistance? :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Vinyls and CDs - Can't believe you guys still use these ancient artifacts this day and age. :eek::D
Personally I rarely play a cd (or vinyl for that matter) but do play optical discs that are a pain to rip. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a Marantz SR6011 receiver and Marantz CD6006. All I use is Phono and CD. I've decided that what I have is overkill, and takes up a ton of space. I like the BW 685's and intend to keep them. I do like the Airplay capability of the 6011. But in the end it's not absolutely necessary. I do like the sound of Marantz. I'm also considering the Marantz HD-AMP1 and pair it with the HD-CD1 as it has a bit more power than the M-CR611. But it doesn't have the Airplay.
Found one that has similar foot print to the M-CR611, no air play but has blue tooth and USB DAC that the Marantz does not have. It is 4 ohm rated to 100 WX2 using ICE power so it may be more suitable for the 685 than the CR611. No CD player though if that's a show stopper for you.

https://www.psaudio.com/sprout100/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis