123flatpanel

Audiophyte
Hi. Some qa for my Denon AVR:

- On screen displays (OSD) work in all modes except while streaming Netflix. When I hit menu on remote while in BluRay, iPod, radio, or cables tv the settings display on the tv. But if I go into my TVs Samsung Smart Hub and stream movies from Netflix the OSD wont display. Any ideas?

- thinking of buying a 4K tv but my Denon 890 has older hdmi inputs (maybe rel 1.4). Also it has no network connections. Do I need to get a new receiver to take advantage of 4K tv ?

Thanks for your help

-

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Hi. Some qa for my Denon AVR:

- On screen displays (OSD) work in all modes except while streaming Netflix. When I hit menu on remote while in BluRay, iPod, radio, or cables tv the settings display on the tv. But if I go into my TVs Samsung Smart Hub and stream movies from Netflix the OSD wont display. Any ideas?

- thinking of buying a 4K tv but my Denon 890 has older hdmi inputs (maybe rel 1.4). Also it has no network connections. Do I need to get a new receiver to take advantage of 4K tv ?

Thanks for your help

-
I assume the bluray ipod etc go through the reciever while netflix on tv (as source) does not. The tv only send sound through hdmi arc og optical ect. to the reviever so video never goes through for reciever OSD.

You can send 4k to tv directly and sound separatly to reciever via hdmi arc/optical etc. Its not optimal but works and is cheaper. A real 4k reciever is easier though and less lip synch hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
To get the most out of streaming services you need an external STB. Smart TVs are a convenience for those without a proper av setup.

123flatpanel

Audiophyte
I assume the bluray ipod etc go through the reciever while netflix on tv (as source) does not. The tv only send sound through hdmi arc og optical ect. to the reviever so video never goes through for reciever OSD.

You can send 4k to tv directly and sound separatly to reciever via hdmi arc/optical etc. Its not optimal but works and is cheaper. A real 4k reciever is easier though and less lip synch hassle.

OK; sort of get it now. All sources, except streaming, input to AVR by HDMI or rca cable and then go out of AVR via the Monitor HDMI to the tv. So when I hit menu on Denon remote it uses that Minitor out HDMI to interrupt tv and display all my settings. However, the streaming goes into Tv by Ethernet cable from my ATT U-verse router. So why doesn’t hitting menu then also go out that same AVR Monitor HDMI, like the other sources above, to interrupt the streaming video and display my settings? I’m thinking the Samsung Smart Hub (the interface to TVs apps) it stopping OSD from displaying.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Agreed. Lip sync is important especially as you get bigger displays and it is more “in your face”. The default lip sync is now 40ms on the recent Yamaha AVRs before you adjust, then I usually bump that up a few ms to my Samsung 4K HDR10 display. On an older AVR you might have some adjusting that is more difficult when you take audio to the AVR but the tv is taking its time rendering 4K. At least that is my understanding. I basically was completely at a deadend with a 2003 AVR that had no lip sync adjustments at all unless I wanted to use the tv speakers with my 4K display or put up with lip sync mismatch. :)

Anyhow an AVR and TV that both have HDMI 2.0a for example actually make the best match. (Someday soon HDMI 2.1, etc). I would even tell people to consider matching HDMI versions with a new AVR and a new TV at roughly the same time so newer 4K features like HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG, etc, can be compatible in the video path.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I’m thinking the Samsung Smart Hub (the interface to TVs apps) it stopping OSD from displaying.
When you use the tv as a source (samsung smart hub) the video doesnt go to the avr so it has nothing to add its own OSD on top of. It would be the same if you connected the bluray player directly to the tv instead if the reciever (no reciever volume displayed on the tv).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis