Polk S55 vs. RSL CG23 LCR

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
Hi all,
First time I am posting in an AV forum. Please be easy on me if I write something wrong.

Short version of my question: I need make a decision between a pair of Polk S55 ($329.00 each) and RSL CG23 LCR ($200.00 each) speakers. I do not want to pay more than ~$600 for such a pair. I will be listening mostly classical music and watch movies (fifty-fifty). I am wondering if there is any suggestion on the quality of these speakers.

Long version of my story: I have a setup from my school days.
Subwoofer: SA-W2500
FL/FR/SL/SR: SS-B3000 (total 4)
Central: SS-CS8 (happy with this one)
AV receiver: Yamaha RX-V675
I want to get something better for my budget (planning to build gradually). I would like to buy a pair of tower speakers. I went to Bestbuy and tested several HT systems. I tested a couple of Polk, a couple of Klipsch, a Sony System. Polk S55 speakers sounded the best to my ears. I did not like Klipsch for music, but was ok for movies, and Sony was bad. Now I would like get a new pair of tower speakers for front L and R. I was about to purchase Polk S55 towers, however I saw RSL CG23 on the internet (not heard it yet). I am wondering if RSL CG23 is worth auditing before making a decision? Is there comparable speakers in the price range of <=$600 that I should consider? Thank you.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Based on reputation alone, I’d go with the RSL. However, I’d recommend the bookshelf model rather than the LCR. Those often have “laser”-focused (aka “head in a vice”) soundstage, which I don’t care for. It’s easy enough to get stands for the bookshelf speakers. You’ve already heard the Polks, so you have a basis for comparison. RSL, like most internet vendors, offers a 30-day window for you to try them out, free return shipping if you don’t like them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hi all,
First time I am posting in an AV forum. Please be easy on me if I write something wrong.

Short version of my question: I need make a decision between a pair of Polk S55 ($329.00 each) and RSL CG23 LCR ($200.00 each) speakers. I do not want to pay more than ~$600 for such a pair. I will be listening mostly classical music and watch movies (fifty-fifty). I am wondering if there is any suggestion on the quality of these speakers.

Long version of my story: I have a setup from my school days.
Subwoofer: SA-W2500
FL/FR/SL/SR: SS-B3000 (total 4)
Central: SS-CS8 (happy with this one)
AV receiver: Yamaha RX-V675
I want to get something better for my budget (planning to build gradually). I would like to buy a pair of tower speakers. I went to Bestbuy and tested several HT systems. I tested a couple of Polk, a couple of Klipsch, a Sony System. Polk S55 speakers sounded the best to my ears. I did not like Klipsch for music, but was ok for movies, and Sony was bad. Now I would like get a new pair of tower speakers for front L and R. I was about to purchase Polk S55 towers, however I saw RSL CG23 on the internet (not heard it yet). I am wondering if RSL CG23 is worth auditing before making a decision? Is there comparable speakers in the price range of <=$600 that I should consider? Thank you.
Hey good luck on getting your setup right! I had polk speakers before I moved up chain so to speak the S60 towers and I tried both of the polk signature centers. Long story short? The towers sounded fairly good with some issues that come up with how they measure the centers I absolutely hated. I have an RSL sub and just ordered their ceiling speakers. I've also auditioned the CG system I just needed something bigger for my room size. BUT I can tell you this. They blow the Polks out of the water. For as you mentioned a lot less. If your on a budget and your not dealing with a really big room Id go with the RSL's over a lottoff other options all day long. And the customer service is stellar. Those guys treat you right over at RSL. Can't say enough good things about them. The one thing to keep in mind is those speakers are built to crossover at 100hz and not the standard 80hz a lottoff people go by so your going to need a good sub or two to get the most potential out of them. Talk to them about it they are so easy to talk to they'll let you know what you need for the bass if you need some. Id thoroughly recommend RSL. you get 30 days to try any of they're stuff out with free shipping and full refund in your own room it definitely can't get any better then that

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The RSL speakers looks good. I have been meaning to give the Polk Signatures a spin for awhile but haven't gotten around to that yet. If you like the MTM style of the RSL CG23, here are a few more you ought to consider in your budget. Check out the Ascend CMT-340 SE minitowers. Also look at the RBH R-515 LCR speakers. You might also consider the Hsu HC-1 mk2s, they can be used standing upright.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey good luck on getting your setup right! I had polk speakers before I moved up chain so to speak the S60 towers and I tried both of the polk signature centers. Long story short? The towers sounded fairly good with some issues that come up with how they measure the centers I absolutely hated. I have an RSL sub and just ordered their ceiling speakers. I've also auditioned the CG system I just needed something bigger for my room size. BUT I can tell you this. They blow the Polks out of the water. For as you mentioned a lot less. If your on a budget and your not dealing with a really big room Id go with the RSL's over a lottoff other options all day long. And the customer service is stellar. Those guys treat you right over at RSL. Can't say enough good things about them. The one thing to keep in mind is those speakers are built to crossover at 100hz and not the standard 80hz a lottoff people go by so your going to need a good sub or two to get the most potential out of them. Talk to them about it they are so easy to talk to they'll let you know what you need for the bass if you need some. Id thoroughly recommend RSL. you get 30 days to try any of they're stuff out with free shipping and full refund in your own room it definitely can't get any better then that
Did you order the RSL 34E ceiling speakers? Mine just arrived! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Did you order the RSL 34E ceiling speakers? Mine just arrived! :)
Yes I did they fit the holes perfectly on the ones the previous owners had installed and those were not that good they definetly needed an upgrade! So I pulled the trigger. Also I'm trying to get as much of the system done as I can before the tariff crap might have an impact when I start buying stuff next year! Man I've heard so much about these bad boys I'm super super stoked congrats on your purchase! You've gotta let us know your impressions on them!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes I did they fit the holes perfectly on the ones the previous owners had installed and those were not that good they definetly needed an upgrade! So I pulled the trigger. Also I'm trying to get as much of the system done as I can before the tariff crap might have an impact when I start buying stuff next year! Man I've heard so much about these bad boys I'm super super stoked congrats on your purchase! You've gotta let us know your impressions on them!
Nice! Ya I need to lay low on my amp purchase for my front 3 until Black Friday sales but that’s my next step. Otherwise will get a used amp if things don’t line up in my favor. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Nice! Ya I need to lay low on my amp purchase for my front 3 until Black Friday sales but that’s my next step. Otherwise will get a used amp if things don’t line up in my favor. :)
I can tell you get that friggin amo bro! This one I got? Works great! I mean friggin great I'm about ready to post my impressions on it on the thread I posted about it! Its literally a night and day difference bro you won't regret it!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One MTM LCR that I adore is the Dayton MK442. Ok, it probably isn't quite on the level of the CG23 but for $50 a pop it sounds amazing.

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys, thank you for the all the feedback. Much appreciated. I will give RSL a call and see what day recommend based on the size of my room, etc.

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
I know this thread is old. However, I feel like I should drop few more lines since I like talking to Audioholics. I called RSL, the gentleman on the phone was very nice and honest (recommended Polks as entry level speakers for my budget). He told me that if I am getting L and R speakers from them I need a sub since crossover is high. I could not come up with ~$700 at the time and purchased Polk S55 for ~$500. Another factor is that my room size most likely little too large for RSLs I was considering. The funny think is that since then, I bought two Ascend Acoustics (CBM-170) and Polk center channel speakers. In a nutshell, I am happy with the Polks for watching movies, and CBM-170 sounds better for stereo. If I knew back then what I know now, I would get everything from Ascend Acoustics.

Now, I am looking for a subwoofer to match for my Polk 55 towers and Polk S30 center under $600.00.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I know this thread is old. However, I feel like I should drop few more lines since I like talking to Audioholics. I called RSL, the gentleman on the phone was very nice and honest (recommended Polks as entry level speakers for my budget). He told me that if I am getting L and R speakers from them I need a sub since crossover is high. I could not come up with ~$700 at the time and purchased Polk S55 for ~$500. Another factor is that my room size most likely little too large for RSLs I was considering. The funny think is that since then, I bought two Ascend Acoustics (CBM-170) and Polk center channel speakers. In a nutshell, I am happy with the Polks for watching movies, and CBM-170 sounds better for stereo. If I knew back then what I know now, I would get everything from Ascend Acoustics.

Now, I am looking for a subwoofer to match for my Polk 55 towers and Polk S30 center under $600.00.
RSL is the best those guys are great. I've had nothing but great experiences with them what's your room size if it's small enough it's a no brainer I can think of 3 options right off the bat

1 the RSL speedwoofers for 400 2 the Monoprice 10inch monolith for 500 or the SVS pb1000 for 500 or HSU has 2 great options at 10 inches and or 12 inches that hit your budget.

RSL just great sounding for the budget

Monoprice and PB 1000 for great sounding and deeper extension

The HSU is the best bang for the buck at the 12 inch and is the one Is reccomend the most can't remember the darn model name help anyone?

Those are some options any one have some other ideas for the OP?

Z

zxlankyxz

Audiophyte
I've also auditioned the CG system I just needed something bigger for my room size.
How large is the room that you tested them in? We are finishing our basement and I have been looking very closely at the RSLs (3x CG25 for the front and 2x CG5 or CG3 for the surrounds) but it will be in a fairly large space, with the area around the home theater being completely open. The primary listening area will only be about 10-13 feet from the L-C-R speakers, though. I just want to make sure that I am getting "enough" speaker for the area.

1595128817426.png

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
How large is the room that you tested them in? We are finishing our basement and I have been looking very closely at the RSLs (3x CG25 for the front and 2x CG5 or CG3 for the surrounds) but it will be in a fairly large space, with the area around the home theater being completely open. The primary listening area will only be about 10-13 feet from the L-C-R speakers, though. I just want to make sure that I am getting "enough" speaker for the area.

View attachment 38068
I'd have to say how big is the space you'll be using for the theater area. Even if the rest of the room is really open if the speak ers are a ceartin distance from you the rest of the room might not factor as much?

Also what subs do you plan to use the right subs combined with the cg5 series would make a pretty kickass system with the subs carrying some of the load you might have enough space depending on the actual theater seating from the speakers not just the total room

If you already mentioned your subs I apologize I missed it

Z

zxlankyxz

Audiophyte
I'd have to say how big is the space you'll be using for the theater area. Even if the rest of the room is really open if the speak ers are a ceartin distance from you the rest of the room might not factor as much?

Also what subs do you plan to use the right subs combined with the cg5 series would make a pretty kickass system with the subs carrying some of the load you might have enough space depending on the actual theater seating from the speakers not just the total room

If you already mentioned your subs I apologize I missed it
The space is basically what is labeled as "home theater" on the diagram I uploaded. There would potentially be some listening at the table behind the couch, but likely that would be more for watching sports or throwing on music at a lower volume, so the sound isn't as crucial for that. For movies, everyone would likely be on the couch. So, the space would be approximately 15x15x8, I would estimate.

For subwoofers, right now I have one JBL Studio L8400P. I was considering adding a second sub, but I would likely wait until everything is all hooked up and see how it sounds first.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The space is basically what is labeled as "home theater" on the diagram I uploaded. There would potentially be some listening at the table behind the couch, but likely that would be more for watching sports or throwing on music at a lower volume, so the sound isn't as crucial for that. For movies, everyone would likely be on the couch. So, the space would be approximately 15x15x8, I would estimate.

For subwoofers, right now I have one JBL Studio L8400P. I was considering adding a second sub, but I would likely wait until everything is all hooked up and see how it sounds first.
That space should be sufficient for the cg's they can crank but you gotta be careful if you like it loud they don't fall apart like some speakers and you won't get as much of a warning as some speakers do when they're at there limit you'll bottom the woofer before you'll hear them distort but pairing them with subs in that much area you should be fine

2 subs can always be better then one but if you don't have a lot of seats and only care about the sweet spot not necessarily a must have if your budget doesn't stretch

With that much air volume in that open area 2 subs definetly couldn't hurt tho I'll have to look up that JBL I'm not familiar with it

Z

zxlankyxz

Audiophyte
2 subs can always be better then one but if you don't have a lot of seats and only care about the sweet spot not necessarily a must have if your budget doesn't stretch
If I go with the CG3's I would have room in the budget to get a second sub right away. If I go with the CG5's (the way I am leaning) the second sub would have to wait a bit.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If I go with the CG3's I would have room in the budget to get a second sub right away. If I go with the CG5's (the way I am leaning) the second sub would have to wait a bit.
Understandable I'd go with the CG5 can handle a lower crossover so you have more options with your crossover setting between speakers and subs in your room

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis