Through the past darkly Speakers

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I know its an old Rolling Stones album title but since I just started posting here (long time reader) I am curious as to what and when you had and have.
Me :
1977 low end Marantz 2 way speakers
1977 Electro Voice 3 way speakers
1979 New Advent speakers (probably my first high fi speakers)
1981 Allison 6 speakers when I move into a small apartment.
1983 Polk model 7B (best sounding speakers to this point)
1987 - 2010 DCM Time Windows 1A used but the best speakers that I have ever owned.
Now days some Infinity Primus P363s good but not the Time Windows.
Would have kept the Windows but they were starting to fail in different ways. Maybe I should have fixed them.
You? Thanks,
Dave

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I had a P363 as a center for a while to go with my infinity betas. I wanted a tower center but by the time I made that choice the betas were long gone and out of production so I couldnt buy another beta 50. I replaced all that with PSA speakers up front, but still have the infinity beta surrounds in place. The Beta 50's have been sitting in a closet for a couple years. I'll likely give them to my son whenever he gets his first place. Infinity made some great speakers and if I could have found a 3rd tower I would still be using them today Im sure.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
1973 – JBL L100A speakers (2),with orange grills. My first speakers.
2000 – NHT SuperZeros (2) and NHT SuperCenter. Added to my JBLs as I went from 2 to 5 channel.
2005 – Built CAOW1s, a pair of DIY small 2-way speakers designed by Dennis Murphy. Still use them in bedroom.
2006 – Modified JBL L100As, replaced JBL crossovers with redesigned crossovers by Dennis Murphy. Much improved.
2007 – Salk SongTowers (2),replaced JBL L100As. Still have JBLs, but don't use them. Would consider selling them.
2011 – Salk SongCenter, replaced NHT SuperCenter. Sold the NHT, still use the Salk SongCenter.
2016 – Salk Veracity STs, replaced SongTowers. These are the best I've owned. Gave SongTowers to my son.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Too many to count and tabulate -- however, the MB Quart Vera was the best that I owned

And yes, DCM did make some nice speakers in their time.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm likely a bit younger than many regulars here, and my journey into audio truly started only about 10 years ago.

So, I still have any worth keeping.

I started out with some JVC towers, followed by some Pioneer Towers. These were not HTiB speakers, but likely just about in the same league, and purchased from pawn shops along with AVRs. The JVCs are still in service with a friend with my old Yammy AVR.

My journey really started with Goldenear Triton 2 and matching SuperSat 50C (I recently sold off the 50C)
A year or so later, I added a Rythmik F15HP.

Then, I scooped up some DT SM350 when the price was good. Intended to add them as surrounds to my GE, but never did.

Next came a set of the Infinity Primus 363.

Then, Philharmonitors (Alexis Rebecca version).

Also, a set of Mackie CR3 for the garage.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
So many that if I listed we would be here all day. However, my favorite has to be the JBL 530's. They are absolutely amazing and so much fun. Selling them off is the BIGGEST mistake that I ever made in this hobby. Miss them the most. But, at least they went to a good home.:)

Cheers,

Phil

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Not an overly lengthy list but they all filled me with joy:

1977 Panasonic Thrusters
1980 Cannon TLS 822
1987 Polk Audio Monitor 7
1997 Sony SS-M7*
1999 Wilson Audio CUB II
2001 Paradigm Studio 100v2
2003 Axiom Audio M22
2010 Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT
2018 KEF Q750

*By far and away the best speakers I ever owned. I regret the day my (then) wife convinced me to sell (happy wife, happy life and all that rot) because she did not like the way they looked.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Altec Lansing Voice of Theaters (in my bigger is better days). They weren’t so great sounding but they sure looked IMPRESSIVE.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
1974 Marantz Imperial 3 way
1975 Sony SSU2000 3 way
1986 JBL L100t3, L20T3, & B380 Subwoofer, Control 5
1999 JBL Studio Cinema Center

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1972 I bought a pair of Original Large Advents and used those for many years. Added some Cerwin Vegas (don't remember model, large bookshelfs) for my home away from home (for business reasons) in the mid-late 70s, sold the CVs when I moved out of the second location in 80. Added a set of Cambridge Soundworks Ensembles for my first audio video setup probably in the early 90s? A bit later on in the 90s bought a set of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers from a friend when the Advents surrounds failed (and I was not aware of repair being possible plus just wanted to move on to something different); the CALs died in 2007 (a friend turned them up to 11 then suffered more damage in moving). In between/later I've added some KLH bookshelfs (not vintage type, sold at Costco), an Energy Take 5.1 set; Ascend Sierra-1s, 170SEs, 200SEs; Epik Empire sub; SVS MBS-02s; a Mordaunt Short Carnival center; built a Dayton BR-1 kit; JBL 590/580/530 (Phil's "good home" :) )/520s; DIY subs based on SI HT18D2s and Infinity 1262Ws; JBL LSR305s and have an unfinished set of Overnite Sensations morphing into a diy Philharmonic AAs (with Dennis' xovers). Most of the survivors are in use somewhere in the house...and think I've missed something somewhere in there. Had I not been space limited much of the time I probably would have had a few more....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Too many to count and tabulate -- however, the MB Quart Vera was the best that I owned

And yes, DCM did make some nice speakers in their time.
Probably one of the most underrated speaker lines ever.
Dave

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Ultralinear (bookshelf)
Speakerlab 3
Speakerlab Super 7
B&W 801 Matrix Series 2

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Lots of years, few speakers.
1989-2015 Halfer 200 pair bookshelf
2011-2014 Infinity SS2001 pair, BIC F6CLR & Polk PSW505 (added to Hafler 200 to make up my first surround system, with the Denon AVR-1912 I'd bought.)
2014-present KEF iQ10 pair bookshelf
2015-present KEF R500 pair, R200c, SVS SB1000 (bought with NAD T758)
2016-present KEF R100 pair (replaced iQ10's), SVS SB2000 (replaced SB1000, sold that)
2017-present KEF R50 (still in boxes)
2018-present KEF LS50 pair, KEF Kube 10b
2018-present Hafler 300 pair, KEF Reference Model 100, M&K V-90 sub, KEF iQ10 pair back in use

That's a single pair of speakers for about 25 years, a spark of re-interest planted by my younger son gifting me the BIC center & Polk sub, then full on system upgrades and expansions. I'm about done for now.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
1973 – JBL L100A speakers (2),with orange grills. My first speakers.
2000 – NHT SuperZeros (2) and NHT SuperCenter. Added to my JBLs as I went from 2 to 5 channel.
2005 – Built CAOW1s, a pair of DIY small 2-way speakers designed by Dennis Murphy. Still use them in bedroom.
2006 – Modified JBL L100As, replaced JBL crossovers with redesigned crossovers by Dennis Murphy. Much improved.
2007 – Salk SongTowers (2),replaced JBL L100As. Still have JBLs, but don't use them. Would consider selling them.
2011 – Salk SongCenter, replaced NHT SuperCenter. Sold the NHT, still use the Salk SongCenter.
2016 – Salk Veracity STs, replaced SongTowers. These are the best I've owned. Gave SongTowers to my son.
JBL 100s were very sought after back in the day. They were the speaker everyone wanted back when I was in the Air Force. So how do they compare to the Salks? I have never heard any of the Salk line but they get outstanding reviews.
Thanks
Dave

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
JBL 100s were very sought after back in the day. They were the speaker everyone wanted back when I was in the Air Force. So how do they compare to the Salks? I have never heard any of the Salk line but they get outstanding reviews.
I also thought the JBL L100s were the best I could buy back in the 70s. (I was in the Navy at the time, but spent most of my time on Air Force bases in Italy & Alaska.) They were well made, not so well designed, but have lasted and lasted.

The Salk speakers are are in a class well above the L100s. When I first replaced the JBLs, I thought I might miss them. After listening to the SongTowers for a few months, I dragged out the JBLs to listen again, and knew I was finished with them. My present speakers, Salk Veracity STs, are among the best speakers I've ever heard. Unless my life changes unpredictably, I'm done with speaker shopping.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I also thought the JBL L100s were the best I could buy back in the 70s. (I was in the Navy at the time, but spent most of my time on Air Force bases in Italy & Alaska.) They were well made, not so well designed, but have lasted and lasted.

The Salk speakers are are in a class well above the L100s. When I first replaced the JBLs, I thought I might miss them. After listening to the SongTowers for a few months, I dragged out the JBLs to listen again, and knew I was finished with them. My present speakers, Salk Veracity STs, are among the best speakers I've ever heard. Unless my life changes unpredictably, I'm done with speaker shopping.
Funny enough, JBL is now selling a "tribute" version of the L100 that is probably incrementally better.

https://www.musicdirect.com/Speakers/JBL-L100-Bookshelf-Speakers

Someone seeking nostalgia will buy them.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Probably one of the most underrated speaker lines ever.
Dave
Unfortunately my only exerpiece with DCM was with a pair of KX12's bought in the late 90's, after they had become another "beloved name stamped on junk speakers" company. Piezo tweeters?!? Auuugh! Yeah those didn't stay in my house very long

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
2005 Infinity Primus

2013 Salk ST w/ LCY ribbons and Dennis Murphy's MB27

2015 or so - Dennis Murphy's MBOW1 3-ways.

2018 Those were the contenders and they're all still in service to greater or lesser degrees, if not here, then someplace not far away.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis