Two receivers connected?

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have an Onkyo A-610 pro receiver hooked up to a set of Klipch 4.2 speakers. In another room I have an Onkyo Integra 6.5 receiver connected to B&W 602 s3, 603 sc, and a Lcr 60-s3.

Is there any benefit to connecting both receivers together to maximize sound? My idea is to create a wall of sound instead of surround sound. Can I run the the front and center through the 610, and the klipch plus the 602 s3 off of the Integra?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Can I run the the front and center through the 610, and the klipch plus the 602 s3 off of the Integra?
The only way you could do that would be if the Integra had amplifier input jacks for all five of its amplifier channels. The easiest way to accomplish this would be with outboard amplifiers, not a receiver.

On top of that, if there was any merit to running two sets of front speakers simultaneously, the receiver manufacturers would have long ago accommodated that feature, so that people wouldn’t have to resort to jerry-rigging.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The only way you could do that would be if the Integra had amplifier input jacks for all five of its amplifier channels. The easiest way to accomplish this would be with outboard amplifiers, not a receiver.

On top of that, if there was any merit to running two sets of front speakers simultaneously, the receiver manufacturers would have long ago accommodated that feature, so that people wouldn’t have to resort to jerry-rigging.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Wayne, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. The owners manual on the Integra 6.5 says I can connect a Power amp and use the receiver as a pre-amp. Would that dramatically improve the sound?
If so, what would you recommend on a budget of $300-$500?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’m not sure if the quest to “dramatically improving the sound” still includes the idea of using two sets of front speakers. But assuming a single set of speakers, if a new amplifier “dramatically improves the sound,” then something was horribly wrong with the first one.

I’d say unless you’re hearing distortion from your speakers during demanding movie passages, then you don’t need a new amp. The “rule of thumb” for adding an outboard amplifier has typically been that you need to double the power to make it worth your while – e.g. a 200 watt amp if the receiver is 100 watts. This will get you an additional 2-3 dB of volume from the speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks Wayne. I never really like listening to music on the B&W speakers, I was looking for anything to improve the sound.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have a Klipsch RW-8 subwoofer, the room is 17x20. Would a new subwoofer help? If so which one? (Should I start another thread in the subwoofer section?)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis