Opinions on Vandersteen VCC 1 center speaker?

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Hi,

I’ve come across a classifieds ad for a used VCC 1 and the price seems good. I did some googling but couldn’t find “professional” reviews, but mostly general info about it from 2003.

How would you rate this speaker in comparison to modern center speakers?

Thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Since there is no measurements, we can only speculate from the design. A coaxial is a good idea for a center, so I like that much. On the face of it, this should be better than conventional MTM center speaker designs, but without any third-party verification of its performance...

You can get the same thing in a Kef LS50, Q150, or Hsu CCB-8, all of which are proven quantities, and are less expensive.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
To clarify why I’m even considering such an old speaker that on paper isn’t a match to my jbl 230s, it’s because I found it used for less than $150.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Vandersteen speakers are usually first order networks - I doubt that would provide for a good timbre match to JBL's!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
I just read about first order crossover designs - why would their timbre be a mismatch to that of different crossover designs?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I just read about first order crossover designs - why would their timbre be a mismatch to that of different crossover designs?
A 6.5" driver crossed at 3500 hz = "beaming" known as a higher directivity index (- as frequency increases, the sound gains an increasing forward bias resulting from decreasing wavelength) that can be attributed to the drivers reproducing sound waves that are smaller in diameter than their diaphragm, making for narrow dispersion.

1131 fps(speed of sound @ sea level) / 3500 = 3.8 inches

While they are using a first order "correctly" with coaxial drivers, they yield a very unique sound that just won't sound similar to many other products.

For that reason, I would steer clear!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
I appreciate the explanation. What are your thoughts about a Polk CS-350 or Chorus 715 (Same price)? Any chance they would be inferior to the jbl?

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The center channel is the most important speaker in a surround sound setup as 80% of the content gets sent to it.

As JBL designs their loudspeakers to be as neutral as possible, it becomes difficult to pair them with other brands.

They make a JBL 235 center - that would be my strongest recommendation is to keep working with what you have!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
The jbl would be my first choice as well if it weren’t being sold in my country for $550, almost four times the price of the other speakers that I mentioned.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The jbl would be my first choice as well if it weren’t being sold in my country for $550, almost four times the price of the other speakers that I mentioned.
In that case, Focal would probably be the better choice, however the model you listed is a tower, FYI. Center's don't have to be horizontal for sound, its only so they fit more easily in front of the display.

If anyone will let you try the speaker at home first, that would also be a real plus! Good luck!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
The focal seller attached a photo of a horizontal center speaker in his Facebook marketplace post, but I too only found tower speakers by this name. I’ve already asked for clarification regarding the exact model and will update this post. Thanks for the help so far!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
So the Focal is a Chorus CC 700 S.
I’ve also come across a JBL S Series center. It’s a 3 way 150W speaker but looks so tiny in comparison to modern 6.5” MTM center speakers. Should I care?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So the Focal is a Chorus CC 700 S.
I’ve also come across a JBL S Series center. It’s a 3 way 150W speaker but looks so tiny in comparison to modern 6.5” MTM center speakers. Should I care?
GET THE JBL!!!!!!

The Focal is a 2-way MTM where the JBL is a 2.5 way. What does that mean?

The problem with 2-way MTM's is that the separation between the 2 woofers is wide enough to cause cancellations of mid range frequencies whose wavelength matches that separation. Not everyone on the same couch might hear the same sounds!

The 2.5 way acknowledges that and crosses one woofer over at a higher frequency, allowing it to operate independently of the other woofer, preventing those cancellations.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Are you sure the jbl is 2.5 way and not 3 way? I know that the 235c is 2.5 but the s-center is said to be 3 way, it even has a separate midrange driver.

Also worth mentioning: I watch alone most of the time and the occasional visitor doesn’t care about sound that much, so sound quality wise alone, Focal or JBL?

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
As good as their speakers are I never recommend using another companies center channel and not match at least the front 3 speakers. I find it distracting when you have a center by one company and main channels by another. This is less noticeable with surround and Atmos speakers especially with todays EQ software but It's still the best Idea to use all matching speakers. It helps eliminate at least the fact that the sound can somewhat stay the same all the way around the room. I also like equal power as well.
I use to work for a Vandersteen dealer years ago and I'll say this about their speakers, they are amazing. I have setup some pretty fantastic sounding theater system using their speakers. If you buy the center I suggest seeking out the matching fronts. Model 1 and 2's are very nice and if you like to use the system for music man let me tell you they are sweet.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Are you sure the jbl is 2.5 way and not 3 way? I know that the 235c is 2.5 but the s-center is said to be 3 way, it even has a separate midrange driver.

Also worth mentioning: I watch alone most of the time and the occasional visitor doesn’t care about sound that much, so sound quality wise alone, Focal or JBL?
I guess I am not clear on which 'S Center' we're talking about, but it appears there is both a 2.5 and 3 way.

Still, I would keep all JBL rather than mixing, hoping for a match!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
I can’t get the matching center, that’s the point of this thread. I don't mind getting a center from a different maker, many have told me they tried it both ways and didn’t care and probably neither will I. I’m just interested in knowing which of the bunch has the “best” sound quality.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I can’t get the matching center, that’s the point of this thread. I don't mind getting a center from a different maker, many have told me they tried it both ways and didn’t care and probably neither will I. I’m just interested in knowing which of the bunch has the “best” sound quality.
I understand. But I also disagree that you can mix and match any speakers. JBL engineers very neutral speakers, so I would not hesitate to mix from other model lines of similar build quality.

Let us know how it turns out!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
I see. Someone pointed out to me that the jbl only goes down to 75hz so Iran not possible to put the receiver’s crossover at 80hz. Do you think that’s true? And if yes, is it of significant importance?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis