Speakers finished with Carpathian Elm Burl and Mahogany

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw photos this morning of some Salk Song3 speakers finished in Carpathian elm burl veneer on the sides and mahogany on the front. The front looks like mahogany veneer with solid mahogany edges. See this https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159354.0#msg1701816

I go back and forth between staring at them with awe, and wondering if that combination really looks good. (On my computer screen, if I raise my head just a bit higher, the brightness and colors change just a bit.) I can't stop looking at them. Enjoy!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Indeed gorgeous even though they don't really match IMO either. Then again having two different looks from side view to facing view....sort of two different pieces of furniture in one. I'll stick with black cuz I'm not fancy like that.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
(On my computer screen, if I raise my head just a bit higher, the brightness and colors change just a bit.)
What's really cool is that the wood grain reflects light differently as the angle changes. When you walk past the grain, it's light/dark patterns shift. I've got a stick of Mahogany trim that looks monochromatic until you see its reflection in the mirror where a heavy grain pattern is obvious. My fascination with wood is ridiculous. Right now I've got a cutting board I'm getting ready for kitchen duty. It could be my next speakers finish: beeswax. :)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
[QUOTE="Alex2507, post: 1265203, member: 22358" Right now I've got a cutting board I'm getting ready for kitchen duty. It could be my next speakers finish: beeswax. :)[/QUOTE]

Try walnut oil! It can be mixed with beeswax too!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's the "Mullet Finish"!!!

Business in the front, Party on the sides! :cool::cool::cool:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Salk speakers are out right Beautiful speakers
Probably the best looking on the market.

Mike

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
All mahogany: 10/10
All burl: 10/10
Two-tone like that: no way in hell. My opinion of of course. It's what the buyer wanted, right? Eye of the beholder and all that... :cool:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All mahogany: 10/10
All burl: 10/10
Two-tone like that: no way in hell. My opinion of of course. It's what the buyer wanted, right? Eye of the beholder and all that... :cool:
I thought the same. The owner had something to say about that. He wants to use the cloth grills on the speakers. These large grills (not shown in Jim Salk's photos) will cover all 3 drivers and nearly all the mahogany front. So he will see the elm burl veneer on the sides and top, the grill cloth, and the mahogany edges of the front. This way, the speakers don't appear to be two toned. That makes more sense.

See the post from DFpritchard in this thread https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159354.0#msg1701816

"My objective in picking the combination of veneers was to do something interesting. I think burl woods are fascinating and wanted to work with these. I had originally picked cherry to go with the Carpathian burl wood but Jim suggested that the wood tones and grain in mahogany would be a better choice. Once the cabinets were veneered and a couple of the finish coats done, Jim asked about the final top coat and adding a bit of dye to bring out some of the colors in the undyed burl wood. I do like the overall effect, in part because the finish on the mahogany really sets off the Carpathian burl wood sides. What does not show in Jim's photos is the speaker tops, which are also finished in Carpathian elm burl. I think the burl tops tie the sides together nicely. I listen with the speaker grills in place, so the mahogany does not show. Jim's guidance on veneers, dye and finishes resulted in what, to my eye and taste, is a lovely pair of speakers. Being able to participate in the creation of the speakers (if only passively through the selection of veneer lots) is one of the reasons I chose Salk.​
By the way, the Song3s sound awfully good, too. That's the other reason I went with Salk."​

The carpathian elm burl veneer must be expensive. Using mahogany on the front saves money.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Conflicting shades. Not close enough to be the same, but not far enough to compliment each other.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Wow. What a combo. Since I have a pair of Salks I can comment with gusto. I am a conservative when it comes to finishes and colors because for me the speakers are something I will look at constantly. The more bizarre the design or color, the more likely I will tire of it since most really "different" schemes can be gimmicks when time passes.

Looking at the burl + mahogany combo, I am reminded of men's suits. There are the timeless classics that are always in style. Some would say they are boring. There are the brand new suits that may/may not look good in two years. And then there are the LOUD suits that on the right man may look fantastic, but on most of us look not so good. This combo, burl + mahogany, seems loud but may look great in the right home setting. But, for most of us, it would probably look like a yellow plaid suit on a fat man.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wow. What a combo. Since I have a pair of Salks I can comment with gusto. I am a conservative when it comes to finishes and colors because for me the speakers are something I will look at constantly. The more bizarre the design or color, the more likely I will tire of it since most really "different" schemes can be gimmicks when time passes.

Looking at the burl + mahogany combo, I am reminded of men's suits. There are the timeless classics that are always in style. Some would say they are boring. There are the brand new suits that may/may not look good in two years. And then there are the LOUD suits that on the right man may look fantastic, but on most of us look not so good. This combo, burl + mahogany, seems loud but may look great in the right home setting. But, for most of us, it would probably look like a yellow plaid suit on a fat man.
Same here...I won't say those speakers look some kind of way...positive or negative...but for me, I went with natural cherry...simple...they get a little darker as they age, but that's the beauty of natural cherry.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think a simple satin black for the baffle would really bring out the depth of the darker regions of the Elm Burl!
Actually you can see that effect at the bottom where the plinth is!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I liked the blue ones you posted before. Especially when you mentioned he made matching custom Salk Rythmik subs. :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
everytime I see the pictures, I like them more and more. In another few weeks if this thread stays alive, I will probably want to order my next set like this.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think a simple satin black for the baffle would really bring out the depth of the darker regions of the Elm Burl!
Actually you can see that effect at the bottom where the plinth is!
You see it at the top too. I think that's just darker at the top and bottom. You'd get what you're after by using the grills Richard mentioned.

So if Salk is giving these speakers like 5 coats in a shop, what chance do the DIY'ers have of achieving something as refined? Effing ZERO. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis