tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
So I'm moving my Panny VT-65 from my home theater room into a different area of the basement that will be focused on sports/games/etc. and I am looking to bring in the largest 4K display I can find without spending crazy money. Forget about projector & screen, no wife approval for that, so need to stick to displays. Seating is roughly 11-12' from the screen. Room is pretty dark and controlled. Room will be used mostly for movies and video games with some sports.

Here's what I'm looking at:
Samsung 82" NU8000 - retails for around $3k, seems to be a solid tv according to RTINGS but nothing all that special.
Samsung 82" Q6 - retails for about $3800. Better tv than the NU8000, but probably not enough of a step up to justify the price difference
Sony 85" X900 - retails for about $5300 and seems to be a fabulous tv, but that is a LOT of $$ for a display. The 75" version is about $3500
Samsung 75" Q8 - retails for about $4k. Another great tv but can't decide on the $$

So, here's the question, the best price for a large (80" +) tv seems to be that NU8000, but not sure if it's a great tv. The best overall tv in the 80"+ range is the Sony, but that is almost $2500 more than the NU8000 and $1500 more than the Q6. Yes, it's full array vs edge-lit and it's slightly bigger, but is it worth that much of a step up in cost? Or should I get the 75" version of that vs the 82" Samsung? Size vs quality? Can't decide. Help!

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
7.9 for NU8000 isn't "nothing special", it measures well and nearly top performer. in several fields.
I think it's great value for such a large panel.
4k by itself isn't that exciting, it's the HDR is what really makes it shine. If I were in your place, this is where I'd focus my attention.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
7.9 for NU8000 isn't "nothing special", it measures well and nearly top performer. in several fields.
I think it's great value for such a large panel.
4k by itself isn't that exciting, it's the HDR is what really makes it shine. If I were in your place, this is where I'd focus my attention.
Thanks, so you would do the 82" NU8000? Agree that HDR is what makes the most bang, but wasn't sure if I should do the 82" in a "lesser" tv or get the X900 tv in a 75" display size.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
That I'm saying is that YOU should compare other similar TVs on rtings for their scores on HDR movies and decide if additional expense is worth it for you.
I'm also saying that NU8000 is a great value and has very high scores for its price.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
That I'm saying is that YOU should compare other similar TVs on rtings for their scores on HDR movies and decide if additional expense is worth it for you.
I'm also saying that NU8000 is a great value and has very high scores for its price.
I have been using RTings. IT definitely scores the Sony x900F over the Samsung, but what I can't decide is if I'm better off with a 75" Sony X900 that gets great reviews or an 82" NU8000 that gets good ones, OR if that 85" Sony is worth the additional $2500. Sometimes these measurements mean more on review sites than they do in the real-world and just not sure how to weigh these.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
As a former Samsung owner, I would recommend that you buy the Sony. When my Samsung plasma failed after only 3 years, Samsung's customer service basically told me to pound sand.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
As a former Samsung owner, I would recommend that you buy the Sony. When my Samsung plasma failed after only 3 years, Samsung's customer service basically told me to pound sand.
Thanks. I've never had a problem with my Samsung plasma myself, so don't have the same experience. I'm still struggling with the size vs quality decision....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
As would the majority of manufacturers when out of warranty. I bet all manufacturers have a very low failure rate before half life.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
I understand how warranties work. My complaint with Samsung's customer service was their complete indifference toward offering any help at all. This was compounded by fact they don't make the part anymore so there was no replacement. After only one year? I'm not interested in investing almost $2000 in any product that's worthless after only 3 years. No more Samsungs for me.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I personally believe that all manufacturers of TVs do the same. I have had two Samsungs, both still running after 10+ years. 4 Vizio's, two still fine after almost 10 years. One about 3 years and going strong. One that still bites me to this day lasted 1 month over warranty. They told me all they could do was offer me a discount on a brand new set. The discount was directly from Vizio but for that same price I could buy it anywhere. But that was only for a $3k tv at the time. My old one ran just over 1.5k and no way could I afford another 3k at the time.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I haven't had issues with my Samsung or my Panasonic plasma - both are 4 years old. I generally think extended warranties are a huge waste of money, but I do buy them for expensive televisions just due to the types of issues listed above.

Now - back to the question of size vs quality.....

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have been using RTings. IT definitely scores the Sony x900F over the Samsung, but what I can't decide is if I'm better off with a 75" Sony X900 that gets great reviews or an 82" NU8000 that gets good ones, OR if that 85" Sony is worth the additional $2500. Sometimes these measurements mean more on review sites than they do in the real-world and just not sure how to weigh these.
I have two Sony sets, a 65" x900c and a 55" x850d, and FWIW a Samsung 60" plasma.

The Plasma is a nice natural looking picture with strong blacks that I'm not in a hurry to get rid of...however, both Sony TVs continue with the natural look and feel, but the colors pop a tad more....for my money from 10-12' I'd go with a 75" x900F or even the x850f over an 85" in either model.

The Samsung LEDs (brother in law has the NU8500 in a 55") ramp up the colors a bit more than Sony or LG...almost to a fault imo, but they are pretty good sets if you like the more intense color.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I understand how warranties work. My complaint with Samsung's customer service was their complete indifference toward offering any help at all. This was compounded by fact they don't make the part anymore so there was no replacement. After only one year? I'm not interested in investing almost $2000 in any product that's worthless after only 3 years. No more Samsungs for me.
Still not their problem. Call any billion $ company and see how many would. This is why I still purchase all my gear from sellers that provide service (not manufacturers).
When I have an issue they try to work it out for me ie; reps and distributors help when an issue like yours arises (though sometime there is nothing to do, like the end of plasmas).

Dont let one bad experience cause you to miss out on a product in the future.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Not related to TVs, but I will never buy a samsung anything for the rest of my life. We bought one of their top of the line fridges that was the noisiest thing I've ever heard. Had it replaced and the replacement was just as bad. The ice maker sounded like a rocket ship whenever it filled up with water. The compressor was loud. We lived it with for a while, but then the ice maker died about a month out of warranty. We gave it away and bought a GE. Then the phones started exploding which everyone knows about, but did you know their Washing machines can also explode!??!! We got a letter saying it was under recall. After repeated attempts for them to send someone out to fix it nobody would ever come out. We have to use use it on light duty mode only. Eventually Ill get around to replacing that stupid thing to.

When it comes time to buy TVs (or anything else for that matter), rest assured, it wont be a samsuck.

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
Still not their problem. Call any billion $ company and see how many would. This is why I still purchase all my gear from sellers that provide service (not manufacturers).
When I have an issue they try to work it out for me ie; reps and distributors help when an issue like yours arises (though sometime there is nothing to do, like the end of plasmas).

Dont let one bad experience cause you to miss out on a product in the future.
I did purchase from a seller who was supposed to be able to provide service. Unfortunately that seller was Sears.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I did purchase from a seller who was supposed to be able to provide service. Unfortunately that seller was Sears.
I get it, just presenting the other side. I was referring to a little more specialized retailer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis