center channel confusion

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
I have received a lot of help since joining on getting started on my new ht speaker setup. I ran into some confusion though. I have read a lot about how a center channel that is horizontal has "lobing" issues, especially if it is a 2-way. Am I better off buying 3 identical bookshelf speakers and mounting the center vertical also? Or can I get away with a horizontal 2 or 3 channel (3 starting to push my budget) since my ears are probably not trained to recognize this lobing effect? If I do go with a vertical bookshelf and I have a 70" tv, then I'm guessing since it will be somewhat low that I will need to angle it up?

As always, thanks for the help! (budget to start roughly $1500 for front 3 channels and sub...sounds like the sub will be the VTF-3 which will chew up a little more than half my budget right there, but I may be able to push the budget up slightly)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have received a lot of help since joining on getting started on my new ht speaker setup. I ran into some confusion though. I have read a lot about how a center channel that is horizontal has "lobing" issues, especially if it is a 2-way. Am I better off buying 3 identical bookshelf speakers and mounting the center vertical also? Or can I get away with a horizontal 2 or 3 channel (3 starting to push my budget) since my ears are probably not trained to recognize this lobing effect? If I do go with a vertical bookshelf and I have a 70" tv, then I'm guessing since it will be somewhat low that I will need to angle it up?

As always, thanks for the help! (budget to start roughly $1500 for front 3 channels and sub...sounds like the sub will be the VTF-3 which will chew up a little more than half my budget right there, but I may be able to push the budget up slightly)
If you can accommodate a bookshelf speaker instead of a horizontal MTM (midrange-tweeter-midrange) center speaker, do so. It will cost less and sound better. You do not have to have 'golden ears' to hear the difference of lobing issues, it simply things like dialogue intelligibility issues. FYI, three-way center speakers are much less subject to lobing issues, so if you see a center where a tweeter is mounted above a midrange and they are flanked on both sides by woofers, that should be better. Although those tend to be more expensive.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
If you can accommodate a bookshelf speaker instead of a horizontal MTM (midrange-tweeter-midrange) center speaker, do so. It will cost less and sound better. You do not have to have 'golden ears' to hear the difference of lobing issues, it simply things like dialogue intelligibility issues. FYI, three-way center speakers are much less subject to lobing issues, so if you see a center where a tweeter is mounted above a midrange and they are flanked on both sides by woofers, that should be better. Although those tend to be more expensive.
Thanks, I will see what kind of room I have once the tv is mounted. Would it work if the speaker was a little lower than ear level to angle it up?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks, I will see what kind of room I have once the tv is mounted. Would it work if the speaker was a little lower than ear level to angle it up?
Yes, that will work. Aim the tweeter for your ears when seated at the listening position.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
LOL...lobing. I will install the new-to-me 1997-1998 vintage KEF Reference Model 100 center speaker in my guest room "frankensystem" today. If a single 6-1/2" driver with a single tweeter stuck in the middle of it can exhibit lobing, I'm anxious to hear it. :p

I don't believe two-way versus 3-way speakers makes as much difference as placement of the drivers within the cabinet, and placement (and aiming) of the cabinet. The most common mistake folks make is in having the center speaker placed back far from the edge of whatever structure it's placed upon. This causes first reflection issues you don't want. Put the front baffle of the speaker right out flush to the edge of the shelf if at all possible.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis