Philharmonic Audio BMR Road Trip Makes Stop in Unusually Hot San Diego

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
As some of you know, Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio decided to send his BMR Philharmonitor speakers on a road trip around the country so people could have a chance to hear them in their own setups. I submitted my name to Dennis and was selected as one of the participants.

First, a little background. I'm in my upper 40s. I've been into audio since the early 80s when I was a teenager. I'm a recovering electrical engineer who worked on audio and video circuitry in a well-known line of consumer electronics for almost 20 years.

My room is about 13 feet wide, and with an 8 foot ceiling, and it's about 17 feet long. But it opens a little more than halfway into a kitchen area, for a total space of about 23' x 13' x 8'.

I often recommend subwoofers to people who ask, but I have neighbors above me who have a baby, so I don't have a subwoofer myself.

Over the last 10 years I've been entertaining myself by buying speakers - either used speakers that I find locally or new speakers on closeout sales. I try them out for a few weeks, months, or sometimes years, then sell them for hopefully close to what I bought them for.

I have a speaker switchbox, an old Adcom GFS-3, that allows me to quick switch between three pairs of speakers at a time.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Impressive background. So, what did you think of the BMR's? Did you happen to snap a few pics or take any measurements? Inquiring minds want to know.......LOL!!!!!:)

Cheers,

Phil

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
After many years of comparing speakers, I got lazy one time and didn't feel like hooking up two stereo pairs for comparison. So I just did a mono comparison between speaker A and speaker B. I was surprised to find that I actually thought this way of comparing was more revealing of some traits - such as tonal balance, resonances or lack thereof, bass extension, and even depth and width to a lesser extent. It was only after my 'accidental' discovery did I read some of Dr. Toole's and Dr. Olive's work where they talk about doing it that way at Harman.

With stereo comparisons I couldn't level match automatically. I'd have to adjust my AVR volume every time I hit the switches on my switch box. Just doing that was enough to affect my concentration and alter my acoustic memory. So I wanted a way to level match automatically.

With the mono comparisons I could do just that, by using the channel level adjustments on my AVR.

So now I had a way to do near-instant switching back and forth with levels automatically adjusted so the two speakers were level-matched. I can adjust in 0.5dB increments, and that's probably about as accurate as my estimates of sensitivity are anyway.

Now, on to my comparisons...

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
First up, I compared a single BMR with a single NHT Classic Three. The NHTs are mellow, a bit warm balanced, with a little extra emphasis in the upper bass. Measurements of them show wide and even dispersion. Sensitivity was about the same for the two, so I didn't have to program any offsets into my AVR for this comparison.

The BMRs trounce the NHTs - deeper bass, tighter bass, none of the upper bass emphasis that makes the NHTs a little muddy sounding and bloated. Clearer, more detailed mids and highs on the BMRs. And the NHTs have a little 'boxiness' that seems like it's from their cabinet (but I think is actually from their woofer, because the cabinet is small and very solidly built). The NHTs sound 'small' in comparison.

This one was an easy victory for the BMRs, but not too surprising considering they cost double and are about twice the size.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Next up, I compared a single BMR with a single Ascend Sierra One. I've owned the Sierra Ones for several years now. They've beaten out a number of other speakers I've owned in their price range, including several bookshelf speakers that list from about $500 to $1000, and they've even beaten four towers I've compared with with that list at $1000-$1200. I like the Sierra Ones quite a lot - they have impressive clarity, a fairly neutral balance, really good bass for their size, a rock solid cabinet.

The Sierras are about 1.0 or 1.5 dB louder, so I adjusted for that with my AVR so that the two speakers were about equally loud. The Sierras have impressive bass for their size, as mentioned. But the BMRs go deeper and are tighter with more detail and texture to the midbass. The Sierra 1s sound a little one-note in comparison.

The BMRs are a little more laid back in the midrange. They sound more spacious and relaxed, but at the same time more detailed. The Sierra 1s are a little forward/bright in the upper mids to low treble.

The BMRs totally 'disappear' whereas I can close my eyes and point to where the Sierras are located. The Sierras seem a little 'small' in comparison, like I can tell the sound is coming from a speaker, whereas the BMRs disappear so well that it's like they aren't there in front of me - but the music is.

The highs on both are nice and I didn't notice a huge difference with the BMR's RAAL ribbon over the Sierra's Seas soft dome. But on a few tracks I did get a feeling with the Sierra's highs that I was hearing a tweeter. With the BMRs I just didn't notice anything that made me feel like I was hearing a tweeter.

So I preferred the BMRs here too. It wasn't the knockout that they had over the Classic Threes, but it was clear decision. And again, I think the Sierra Ones are quite nice.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Next up, I compared a single BMR with a Jamo C103, a large-ish bookshelf speaker with a 7" woofer mated to a 1" soft dome tweeter in a shallow waveguide. Jamo has made some nice speakers over the years. I've read that they're popular in Europe and perhaps Asia, but I don't think they've ever been a well-known brand in the US & Canada. This model was made after Klipsch bought Jamo, and I think they've been "Klipschified" just a little, in that the high highs are a bit exaggerated and forward (but not annoyingly so, it's pretty subtle).

With their 7" woofer, the Jamos have pretty nice bass, comparable to the Ascends described above.

Compared to the BMR, the Jamos are about 2.5 dB louder, so I adjusted for that with my AVR settings. The Jamos are pretty darn good, but a little forward with mid treble and occasionally a little hot in the treble, sometimes a little forward and too much sizzle. Not harsh, not really bright, no resonances that I detect that make them sound piercing, just a little exaggerated detail.

The BMRs are more spacious, more depth and width to the sound, and all the detail is there without it being forward.

The BMR's bass is slightly better, a touch deeper and with a little more texture and finesse.

The main difference is the spaciousness in the mids and highs on the BMR versus a more constrained but more forward treble on the Jamos.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Next up, I compared the BMRs to my Ascend Sierra towers (not RAAL but rather the NRT soft dome tweeter).

The Sierra towers are about 5dB louder - that's one strength of them, that they can play loud without much power, an easy load.

Bass is comparable between the two. The BMRs might go a little lower, but the difference is small. Occasionally it seemed the BMRs were just slightly tighter and cleaner in the bass. Most of the time it would be hard to tell them apart, but here and there I detected just a touch of overhang or muddiness on the Sierras that I didn't hear on the BMRs. This could be inherent in the two speakers, but given how much a room affects bass response, it could be a room issue. I had the speakers right next to each other, but a perfect comparison would have them placed in exactly the same spot.

Both are fairly neutral, with some variations here and there. The biggest difference is that the Ascend towers seem more forward in the midrange, like instruments seem to come from in front of the speakers sometimes. The BMRs are more laid back in their presentation there, with sounds coming from the speakers and behind. The BMRs sound a bit more 'spacious' too. Both are very clean and detailed in the mids and highs but with a different presentation.

With most recordings I don't hear much different in the highs but occasionally I detect slightly greater detail with the BMR's ribbon. Also, the Sierras might be slightly laid back in the crossover region just above the range where they are forward.

I can't declare a clear winner here. The Sierra towers are far more efficient. They can play louder with less power from an amp. They can also probably play louder without compression or damage to drivers, but I never got close to those levels so it wasn't an issue for me.

The decision would come down to a more laidback presentation in the mids (the BMR) or a more forward presentation (the Sierra towers). Note that while the Sierra towers are more forward than the BMRs, they're not as forward as some other speakers I've owned (examples being Monitor Audio RS6 and RX6). They're only forward in comparison to the BMRs.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I used to own PSB Synchrony Ones but sold them a couple of years ago. The PSBs had the best bass I've heard in my room - deeep, powerful, meaty, weighty, but clean and tight and smooth. The Sierra towers didn't go quite as low or hit with as much weight. But I have neighbors above, so I can't be a basshead. The Sierras were similarly neutral but a little more forward than the Synchrony Ones in the upper mids.

I say this because the BMRs remind me of the Synchrony Ones in some ways. The BMRs are smaller, with lower sensitivity, and not quite the bass that the Synchrony Ones had, but fairly close to what I remember from the PSBs. And I remember really nice relaxed but clear mids and highs. The BMR mids and highs might actually beat the PSBs, but I can't do any comparison there because it's way too long ago.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
After all those mono comparisons, I finally got around to moving some furniture to make room so I could connect the stereo pair of BRM Philharmonitors.

I set them facing the long way of the room, about 4 feet from the wall behind them, and each about 3 feet from its sidewall. I had just a little toe-in, just a few degrees.

I did so, then put a CD in, and before I got seated the music started. I literally got confused for a second, wondering to myself if I had connected everything right, because my brain heard music but I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. I thought I might have had a center channel on but didn't.

The soundstaging was really, really impressive. Images in the center were clearly defined, and sounds seemed to come from well outside the actual location of the speakers. The soundstaging was wide, and deep, and probably the best I've heard in this room. They just sound really spacious yet still detailed.

The speakers just disappear when music is playing. With most speakers I could close my eyes and still be able to point to exactly where the speakers are located. I could get up and walk toward them with a blindfold on. With these BMRs, they disappear so convincingly that I think I'd have a hard time pointing at them with my eyes closed.

What's more, I could move several feet to each side and still get a good image. The 'sweet spot' with these speakers is impressively wide, probably due to their wide and even dispersion.

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Now for criticisms. People who know me know that I love to criticize things. :)

I was expecting the cabinets to be a (relative) weakness of these speakers. But I was pleasantly surprised there - the cherry cabinets with curved sidewalls and black baffles are very attractive and solidly built as well.

But I did find their size to be a little awkward. They're either tiny towers or really big bookshelf speakers. I knew they were going to be tall, but I didn't quite expect them to be as deep as they are (around 14" deep if I remember right). The curved sidewalls keep them from looking too bulky. But on 24" stands I was a little afraid they were too top heavy. I was afraid one of our little earthquakes could knock one over (ok, I'm exaggerating there, it would take a strong quake to topple them...)

So if you are interested, understand these are big and heavy. 22" or 24" stands seem just about right to me, but make sure they're sturdy.

As for sound quality, I truly couldn't come up with anything to criticize other than the low sensitivity. And that wasn't a problem for me - I could play them plenty loud enough with an AVR not even sweating. But if somebody has a really big room and/or likes to play really loud, this could be an issue.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I would like to thank Dennis for allowing me to audition these speakers. They're extremely impressive. His communication is also informative and friendly. I can see why he's so well-regarded in the audio world.

Now for some review cliches:

These punch way above their weight!

I can't think of any speaker in this price range that beats them!

These are a must-audition!

A true audio bargain!

Giant killers!

Speaker of the year!

My new reference in the $1300-$1400 price range!

They compete with speakers costing ten times as much!

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Excellent review. Thank you.

I am wondering though why you sold the PSB speakers. That particular model of PSB is very highly regarded.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would like to thank Dennis for allowing me to audition these speakers. They're extremely impressive. His communication is also informative and friendly. I can see why he's so well-regarded in the audio world.

Now for some review cliches:

These punch way above their weight!

I can't think of any speaker in this price range that beats them!

There are a must-audition!
Very nice write-up! Lots of good info here that others will find useful. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I can tell you have spent some significant time doing this. Lots of hard work. Good job!

Cheers,

Phil

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Excellent review. Thank you.

I am wondering though why you sold the PSB speakers. That particular model of PSB is very highly regarded.
Thanks. That's a good question. The answer has little/nothing to do with sound quality and everything to do with other factors. I bought them used from a friend of a friend at a great price. I liked them a lot. But I felt they were a little big for my room - mostly in terms of looks. And I was constantly worrying that their impressive bass was also impressing my neighbors above me. I never felt like I got to enjoy them like they should be enjoyed. It was like having a high performance car but only being able to drive it back and forth to work.

I got the Ascend towers for about half the price of the PSBs and felt they were almost as good at a much lower price. I was able to sell the PSBs at about the same price I paid for them.

If I had a larger room and no neighbors above, I'd seriously consider a pair of Synchrony Ones again. I really liked them. The Ascends are nearly as good, and so are the BMRs. All three are excellent sounding speakers, and more alike in sound than unalike, but with different looks, size, price, bass extension, etc.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
So if you are interested, understand these are big and heavy. 22" or 24" stands seem just about right to me, but make sure they're sturdy.

I agree, had a pair of stands 18” tall made for mine.;-)

I also have a 12” PB 2000 SVS sub that I only use for movies now.

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
And here is a link to the Philharmonic Audio website for any readers wanting more information on these excellent speakers:

Philharmonic Audio

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
KEW and I listened in Mono side by side with a Phil 3 vs BMR and other than the obvious advantages in bass reproduction, the two sounded nearly identical. Glad you enjoyed them as well!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Beave – Thanks for your nicely thought out and well written review of the BMR monitors. I especially liked your detailed comparisons of the BMR to other speakers. I haven't heard most of those, but I thought it was informative.

Was this the first speaker designed by Dennis Murphy that you've heard? FWIW, Dennis designs all his speaker crossovers while listening to one speaker, in mono. I liked your description of the advantages that listening to a single speaker can offer.

Back in June, I heard these same BMR monitors, just before they began their Road Trip.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/bmr-road-trip-kickoff.111717/

Some others asked for photos. The speakers closest to the camera are what Beave heard:

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for posting the pics, swerd. I tried to post a couple of pics last night, but they got rejected for being too large. Your pictures are nicer anyway, and your room looks like less of a mess as well! :)

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Here's a list of just some of the speakers the Ascend Sierra Ones beat out in my room, to give you a feel for how good they are and by extension how good the BMRs are:

Monitor Audio Silver S6,
Monitor Audio Silver RS6
Monitor Audio Silver RX6
Monitor Audio Silver RX1
Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Energy RC-10
Energy RC-30
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand
Boston Acoustics HD8
Boston Acoustics CR6
Boston Acoustics CR8
Boston Acoustics RS260
Boston Acoustics VS260 (this one was probably the closest to competing with the Ascends).

There are probably others that I'm forgetting right now, but those are some I've had in my room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis