New Emotiva Monoblock Amp $299!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! No love for the Emotiva? Just noticed it only weighs like 3-lbs. Is that a typo? :confused::confused::confused:

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Wow! No love for the Emotiva? Just noticed it only weighs like 3-lbs. Is that a typo? :confused::confused::confused:

Cheers,

Phil
Check out the internal pics. No big transformer. 3lbs does seem a bit light, but it may be accurate.

I bet the majoring of these boards are spit out rapidly from automated production lines!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Check out the internal pics. No big transformer. 3lbs does seem a bit light, but it may be accurate.

I bet the majoring of these boards are spit out rapidly from automated production lines!
I am aware that Class D amps are typically lighter in weight, but only 3.5 lbs. is a bit light. But, as you mention it could be accurate. Guess we will all know soon enough. Not sure about Emotivas production techniques. Might go visit their facilities sometime in the very near future. I have family in Franklin, TN which is only about 3-hours from me.

Cheers,

Phil

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Wow! No love for the Emotiva?
Not for this. They put an ICE module in a pro-looking enclosure (which IMHO makes the designed and assembled in the USA somewhat disingenuous). It's not exactly a big engineering achievement on their end. It also lacks some of the basics I'd care to see in a home audio amp (trigger, unbalanced RCA input).

Just noticed it only weighs like 3-lbs. Is that a typo? :confused::confused::confused:
Probably accurate considering that a 300W SpeakerPower ICE plate amp (quite possibly the same amp module o_O) runs in at 2.5lbs.
http://www.speakerpower.net/specifications1.html

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not for this. They put an ICE module in a pro-looking enclosure (which IMHO makes the designed and assembled in the USA somewhat disingenuous). It's not exactly a big engineering achievement on their end. It also lacks some of the basics I'd care to see in a home audio amp (trigger, unbalanced RCA input).

Probably accurate considering that a 300W SpeakerPower ICE plate amp (quite possibly the same amp module o_O) runs in at 2.5lbs.
http://www.speakerpower.net/specifications1.html
No trigger? Hmm. Has an auto setting though.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Interesting product...
However once again Emotiva fails to provide adequate specification disclosure..
1. NO spec for input sensitivity
Very pertinent when matching up to various preamps/controllers
2. Specs disclose power bandwidth of 20Hz-20kHz
Emotiva needs to provide full power output disclosure, @ what power output, load impedance, THD is the power bandwidth spec applicable
3. Emotiva operation manual states to avoid common ground systems.. Does this mean the ICE module is actually stereo but operating in a BTL(bridged mode) delivering a mono output? If in fact... the output is bridged, then there could be some performance tradeoffs especially when driving low impedance loads.. :rolleyes:

Conclusions..
ICE makes a nice module, good quality and sonics but here Emotiva is lacking in providing full specifications. This could be great product for building HT & audio systems but more specification disclosures are required.

Just my $0.02... ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, not much anything positive has been said here. I guess Emotiva had to exclude certain features in order to keep it under $300. But, I could be wrong. Really have no idea what Emotiva's goals are regarding this new amp. Just thought that I would post this thread for those that may be interested in a monoblock amp. As for me, I have no such need.:) For those that are, they may need to look elsewhere.

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
All I have to say is I'm glad Outlaw is still in business.
I'd rather have the M2200 for looks alone.
It is another $80/each over the Emotiva. But you can buy the B-stock units for $300
Interesting product...
However once again Emotiva fails to provide adequate specification disclosure..
1. NO spec for input sensitivity
Very pertinent when matching up to various preamps/controllers
2. Specs disclose power bandwidth of 20Hz-20kHz
Emotiva needs to provide full power output disclosure, @ what power output, load impedance, THD is the power bandwidth spec applicable
3. Emotiva operation manual states to avoid common ground systems.. Does this mean the ICE module is actually stereo but operating in a BTL(bridged mode) delivering a mono output? If in fact... the output is bridged, then there could be some performance tradeoffs especially when driving low impedance loads.. :rolleyes:

Conclusions..
ICE makes a nice module, good quality and sonics but here Emotiva is lacking in providing full specifications. This could be great product for building HT & audio systems but more specification disclosures are required.

Just my $0.02... ;)
I was hoping you could mature my understanding of power spec's.
This is what Emotiva offers on this amp:
Output power: 

140 watts RMS into 8 Ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD;
135 watts RMS into 8 Ohms at 0.1% THD.

300 watts RMS into 4 Ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD;
270 watts RMS into 4 Ohms at 0.1% THD. 

450 watts RMS into 2.7 Ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD
So the first thing that raises my curiosity is the 1% THD spec. That is very high THD for a separate power amp and rating it at 1kHz always worries me. They then offer the 0.1% THD, which is more what I would expect; however, the frequency is no longer specified.

Q1:
Am I right to be paranoid that there may be a nefarious reason they are not saying 1kHz (or other frequency range) for the 0.1% THD spec.?

Q2:
"450 watts RMS into 2.7 ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD" - My (non-expert) interpretation would be, given these are RMS watts, that the amp is stable down to 2.7 ohms. Is that a good statement?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well, not much anything positive has been said here. I guess Emotiva had to exclude certain features in order to keep it under $300. But, I could be wrong. Really have no idea what Emotiva's goals are regarding this new amp. Just thought that I would post this thread for those that may be interested in a monoblock amp. As for me, I have no such need.:) For those that are, they may need to look elsewhere.

Cheers,

Phil
Not much is really known yet, but if it were me in that price range I'd grab a pro amp and never look back. If emotiva is using ice module in BTL, if, as mentioned, there are issues driving 4ohm speakers.

Edit: it does look like the 50ASX2BTL

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not much is really known yet, but if it were me in that price range I'd grab a pro amp and never look back. If emotiva is using ice module in BTL, if, as mentioned, there are issues driving 4ohm speakers.
Okay, but my intent was only to bring awareness that Emotiva has a new amp out. If it is not a good design in terms of specs and/or features that is on Emotiva. When I posted this thread I was looking at the Outlaw Monoblock and that is how I got the title mixed up.:) The power specs do look somewhat impressive. Of course, that does not mean anything nowadays. Perhaps, there will be a review or two with some real world measurements forthcoming.

Cheers,

Phil

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, but my intent was only to bring awareness that Emotiva has a new amp out. If it is not a good design in terms of specs and/or features that is on Emotiva. When I posted this thread I was looking at the Outlaw Monoblock and that is how I got the title mixed up.:) The power specs do look somewhat impressive. Of course, that does not mean anything nowadays. Perhaps, there will be a review or two with some real world measurements forthcoming.

Cheers,

Phil
No worries, I get it. Edited my last post to reflect that it indeed does look like the asx ice module.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
It is another $80/each over the Emotiva. But you can buy the B-stock units for $300

So the first thing that raises my curiosity is the 1% THD spec. That is very high THD for a separate power amp and rating it at 1kHz always worries me. They then offer the 0.1% THD, which is more what I would expect; however, the frequency is no longer specified.

Q1:
Am I right to be paranoid that there may be a nefarious reason they are not saying 1kHz (or other frequency range) for the 0.1% THD spec.?
Certain audio amplifier brands play games with the specs, alway wanting to show the highest power output regardless of THD%, impedance or power bandwidth. In today's internet e-commerce market place max power output drives sales. So here one has to understand and read the specs closely.... 1kHz is the easiest frequency for max power, but we need to know what the amplifier can do @ 20Hz & 20kHz. Emotiva needs to provide more info...

Q2:
"450 watts RMS into 2.7 ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD" - My (non-expert) interpretation would be, given these are RMS watts, that the amp is stable down to 2.7 ohms. Is that a good statement?
Again the brand is going for the max power output spec...
Typically the power output increases as the load impedance decreases. If the amplifier is internally bridged it will have a minimum impedance it can drive reliably, usually higher than 3 ohms... Being stable @ low impedances is a good thing as power output along with higher current capability is a plus. Again Emotiva needs to provide more info...

Just my $0.02... ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Q1:

Q2:
"RMS Watts" are a bit of a misnomer, but it has been used so often from some many vendors that it took hold.

The "real" spec that we should be looking at is the "continuous power", with the load, THD+N, and bandwidth specified too.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Q1:

Q2:
The Outlaw seems better but for CAD$299 (add $30 for the fan mod) when on sale, none can beat the QSC RM850A if you can hide it from direct sight.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Outlaw seems better but for CAD$299 (add $30 for the fan mod) when on sale, none can beat the QSC RM850A if you can hide it from direct sight.
I agree with you, but the RMX850a looks better than most Crown amps and may not need to be hidden. :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you, but the RMX850a looks better than most Crown amps and may not need to be hidden. :D
Speaking of qsc, where did you purchase your cinema series at if you dont mind sharing?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking of qsc, where did you purchase your cinema series at if you dont mind sharing?
I purchased the 3 DCA 1222s from SFM, the Canadian distributor for QSC. As a matter of fact, those digital cinema amps are not carried by pro audio shops and only available from cinema equipment suppliers and distributors. You can get the info on a local distributor on QSC's website. If you reside in the USA, there are a few cinema equipment suppliers in California with an online store. One that I know of is Socalcinetech.com which, I believe, sells them at 20% discount.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis