The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Just get that Nesmuk century knife 2010 that costs almost $94,000.00

It sounds "musical" as it cuts through steak. The art deco design is actually functional, each swirl acts as a tiny heat sink. It stays cooler as it slices due to the reduction of friction. Steakophile magazine 'Class A' recommended.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just get that Nesmuk century knife 2010 that costs almost $94,000.00

It sounds "musical" as it cuts through steak. The art deco design is actually functional, each swirl acts as a tiny heat sink. It stays cooler as it slices due to the reduction of friction. Steakophile magazine 'Class A' recommended.

Damn rich people. :D

Makes that $20K Theta Digital Casablanca Pre-pro look like a bargain.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Damn rich people. :D

Makes that $20K Theta Digital Casablanca Pre-pro look like a bargain.
Yeah, really. The trouble is the damn rich people believe in their own lies about the 'superior' sound of their $90,000.00 system. It's sad and funny at the same time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, really. The trouble is the damn rich people believe in their own lies about the 'superior' sound of their $90,000.00 system. It's sad and funny at the same time.
Yeah, we're not jealous or anything like that. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, if their $90k system DIDN'T sound better than my $1k system, they should be PISSED.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Well, if their $90k system DIDN'T sound better than my $1k system, they should be PISSED.
The truth is it doesn't sound any better. They just think it does. And that psychologically justifies their investment.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The truth is it doesn't sound any better. They just think it does. And that psychologically justifies their investment.
You seriously believe that a $90K system doesn't sound better than a $1K system? How many $90K systems have you heard?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Irv, I never know how to take you. I don't know if your post was sarcasm or serious.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Irv, I never know how to take you. I don't know if your post was sarcasm or serious.
It was a serious question. I've heard multiple $90K systems. While I would never buy that sort of equipment, I can tell you that every one of them sounded better than any $1K system I've heard.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
It was a serious question. I've heard multiple $90K systems. While I would never buy that sort of equipment, I can tell you that every one of them sounded better than any $1K system I've heard.
I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but as a reminder, listening evaluations are entirely subjective. Maybe $1K for a sound system is a little low, but still what works for you might not work for the next guy.

I've learned to place more emphasis on rooms and speaker placement than a large dollar amount on equipment.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
while I tend to agree with you Irv, I have seen and listened to numerous systems at and above that level set up in environments worse than many a modest (10k or less) system that I've listened to. Having attended show set ups knowing that the rooms are never ideal is but one example.

As for the 90k system, hell there are a lot of speakers out there alone at that price point...... and beyond !

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
while I tend to agree with you Irv, I have seen and listened to numerous systems at and above that level set up in environments worse than many a modest (10k or less) system that I've listened to. Having attended show set ups knowing that the rooms are never ideal is but one example.

As for the 90k system, hell there are a lot of speakers out there alone at that price point...... and beyond !
$10K systems are another question altogether. For $10K in a modestly-sized room (say, less than 3000 cuft) you can buy a system that sounds quite awesome. I think you have to be smart to get a $90K system to sound better than a $10K system. $1K... I don't think that's enough for great sound.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
$10K systems are another question altogether. For $10K in a modestly-sized room (say, less than 3000 cuft) you can buy a system that sounds quite awesome. I think you have to be smart to get a $90K system to sound better than a $10K system. $1K... I don't think that's enough for great sound.
agreed .......

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
How are we dividing this $90K up?

If we include $65K Sony 4K projector, screen, room treatments and decoration, 90K not going to leave much left to listen to.

If it's just speakers, amp and processor then fine, mine is probably a 10K system in a modest sized room. IMO it is awesome. My system currently gets used 6-8 hours a day, 7 days a week. :O I am working my way through my entire film collection, good and bad :) and we still have at least another year to go. What would truely annoy me is spending this or even way more on something that is barely used. Worse still is the fact most of it would likely be obsolete in a year or so.

The previous system lasted over a decade and the current one is expected to do the same. The current system is roughly 2 and counting and the old system is still doing admirably elsewhere. Of course YMMV

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How are we dividing this $90K up?

If we include $65K Sony 4K projector, screen, room treatments and decoration, 90K not going to leave much left to listen to.

If it's just speakers, amp and processor then fine, mine is probably a 10K system in a modest sized room. IMO it is awesome. My system currently gets used 6-8 hours a day, 7 days a week. :O I am working my way through my entire film collection, good and bad :) and we still have at least another year to go. What would truely annoy me is spending this or even way more on something that is barely used. Worse still is the fact most of it would likely be obsolete in a year or so.

The previous system lasted over a decade and the current one is expected to do the same. The current system is roughly 2 and counting and the old system is still doing admirably elsewhere. Of course YMMV
You should list your System in your signature so that we don’t have to wonder and ask you repeatedly. I assume you are in the “separates” audio camp? :D

$65K projector? I guess I’m mainly an audio person, so my audio systems have always been significantly more expensive than my video system. :D

I agree on the use of our HT systems. I also use my HT everyday. It’s my salient source of entertainment. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$1K... I don't think that's enough for great sound.
My first system back when I was going to college ages ago was about $6K actual cost. :D

Even today, the minimum AVR I would get is the Yamaha A1000s/ Denon X3000s, which are about $1,200. :D

So the entire system for $1K seems low.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis