Difference between Marantz SR7011 and SR7012

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The 11 can be found refurbished for $1100 if you get the warranty extended to 3 years. New it's $2200. Just wondering if any folks know truly what the difference is.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The 11 can be found refurbished for $1100 if you get the warranty extended to 3 years. New it's $2200. Just wondering if any folks know truly what the difference is.
As far as I know nothing significant other than the SR7012 comes with Auro 3D. The SR7011 is Auro 3D upgradable, for $199. The SR7012 is also eARC upgradable via firmware. That's about it.

Instead of getting a refurbished SR7011, imo you are better off getting a brand new AVR-X4400H that is very similar to the SR7012, less the 7.1 analog inputs that you most likely won't miss. All my BR/universal players have 7.1 analog outputs but I have never even thought of using them.

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Surely a new Marantz 6012 might then be the option. True it doesn't have the Auro3D, is a touch less on the channel power or have the 2nd display under the flap. However it does have all the other features of the 7012 , includes the 7.1 analog in and eARC upgrade potential and warranty is 5 years.

However either should be on offer for the next few months with the incoming xx13 replacements and as Peng has said the 4400 is a good alternative.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-nhMxtx41jPA/compare_642SR6012_642SR7012/Marantz-SR6012-vs-Marantz-SR7012.html

I'm not just suggesting this because I have one :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Surely a new Marantz 6012 might then be the option. True it doesn't have the Auro3D, is a touch less on the channel power or have the 2nd display under the flap. However it does have all the other features of the 7012 , includes the 7.1 analog in and eARC upgrade potential and warranty is 5 years.

However either should be on offer for the next few months with the incoming xx13 replacements and as Peng has said the 4400 is a good alternative.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-nhMxtx41jPA/compare_642SR6012_642SR7012/Marantz-SR6012-vs-Marantz-SR7012.html

I'm not just suggesting this because I have one :)
The Marantz warranty is 3 years, same as Denon. The 5 year warranty is for Marantz reference models only.
I agree the 6012 is a good alternative, but only if it costs less than the X4400H and for someone who needs the mch analog inputs and/or someone who believe in the hearsay Marantz warm sound (or something like that).

I prefer the 4400 because it makes sense to take advantage of the better pricing in North America due to the hearsay perpetuated from the very old days, and that it looks like it has the same amp section of the 7012, though I also believe that the slightly more power output and lower distortions won't make any audible difference.

The price you linked for the 6012 is the best I have seen so far, but still $100 more than the 4400 that is one notch higher in the D&M AVR line up, for no objective reasons other than the two I cited above. That's just my opinion based on specs, test data and actual experience with products from both brands, old and new so obviously ymmv..:) I know the op is asking about the two Marantz, I only mentioned the Denon because of the potential savings, that he may be interested in.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I am with you on the pricing, for the money the 4400 would the better value and more powerful. I think the link price changed for the 6012 since the last time I used the it. Blame google. :)

In the UK it's 5 years for either the Denon or Marantz, although I think as was mentioned previously it's not internationally transferable. :(

Can't say I've particularly noticed a "warm sound", maybe its my settings. :cool:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am with you on the pricing, for the money the 4400 would the better value and more powerful. I think the link price changed for the 6012 since the last time I used the it. Blame google. :)

In the UK it's 5 years for either the Denon or Marantz, although I think as was mentioned previously it's not internationally transferable. :(

Can't say I've particularly noticed a "warm sound", maybe its my settings. :cool:
You got me curious about the pricing in the UK so I went and browsed the websites of a couple discount hifi/ht stores. From what I can see, the pricing for comparable D&M models are quite different in terms of both list price and discounted price, and cannot be compared directly. It does appear that in the US, the X4400H has the best deal, though that $799 discount price has not been seen recently. In the UK, the SR7012 is the one to beat. The X6400H price is still holding well, but as soon as the X6500H is out, it has the potential to drop like a ton of rock, not so much in the UK, but in NA.

USA
X4400H - $1599/Dis: $799.......................................... SR6012 - $1499/Dis: $899
X6400H - $2199 ..............................................................SR7012 - $2199
X8500H - $3999 ..............................................................SR8012 - $2,999

UK
X4400H - £1299/Dis: £799 .............................................SR6012 - £1099/Dis: £749
X6400H - £2299/Dis: £1599 ...........................................SR7012 - £1699/Dis: £999.9
X8500H - £3499................................................................SR8012 - £2,699

Last edited:
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Thanks both for the replies. I currently have an AVR-X2300W. I do like it, but I'm feeling that I'm going to want more power and greater processing capabilities. I know every option you two have listed accomplish both those things.

I was curious about Marantz generally because I've read that some of the components used are of a higher quality (they spec better THD than Denon), and I use my system for a lot of music. Something that attracted me to the 7011 is the opportunity for 11 channel processing at a $1000 price point. I'd like the option of a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 somewhere down the road. It looks though like the 4400 accomplishes the same.

Kind of all makes me wonder if I should stretch and get a 6400 when it's discounted.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was curious about Marantz generally because I've read that some of the components used are of a higher quality (they spec better THD than Denon),and I use my system for a lot of music. Something that attracted me to the 7011 is the opportunity for 11 channel processing at a $1000 price point. I'd like the option of a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 somewhere down the road. It looks though like the 4400 accomplishes the same.
They don't spec better THD than Denon, the SR7012 and AVR-X4400H has the same THD specs, in previous S&V lab measurements, they had similar THD results. In fact, I have not seen any Marantz AVR measured better than one of Denon's best (among those measured by S&V) I owned both brands, including the AVR-4308 that measured at or below 0.002% up to 150 watts, 2 channels driven.

Kind of all makes me wonder if I should stretch and get a 6400 when it's discounted.
Unless you can get one at a super low price, like a couple hundreds more, there isn't much point.

Edit: $1000 for the 7011 sounds like a good deal. It is a 2016 model but if brand new with 3 year factory warranty then it is still good.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis