Does Klipsch get a bad rap?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
A couple months with the new/first 5.2 setup and am really starting to address the upgrade bug bite I got about day 2 :D With a limited budget I spent the bulk on subs (PB1000, then an HSU VTF-3 MK4 that I couldn't pass up at $300 in mint condition),and an AVR (Denon AVR-2300X from A4L- don't care about Heos and have the know how to run concealed wire for a 2nd zone. I do regret having been ignorant to a degree and not getting an AVR with preamp outs).

I'd like to keep the LCR budget around $1000. I'm looking for higher efficiency and better upper mids and highs than I currently have (Polk T15 and T30). I'd like something with lower extension than what I'm working with right now, and ok with towers but would prefer Bookshelfs. Brand I've considered are JBL and Klipsch from the retail world ( I do like the sound and efficiency of Def Tecs but their warmth might compromise what I'm really looking for on the HT side of things),and from the ID side the Ascend CMT340s, possibly HSU or RSL, and am open to other suggestions. It seems that frequently folks get steered away from Klipsch in favor of either JBL or an ID offering.

Ok hive brain, help a lover and a noob out! Aaaannd, Go!!!

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know if Klipsch gets a bad rap for HT on AH perse and I know there are quite a few members that may chime in extolling their virtues. From my experience, I believe Klipsch has some excellent HT speakers, as does JBL and the ID brands you mentioned - affordable as well.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
A couple months with the new/first 5.2 setup and am really starting to address the upgrade bug bite I got about day 2 :D With a limited budget I spent the bulk on subs (PB1000, then an HSU VTF-3 MK4 that I couldn't pass up at $300 in mint condition),and an AVR (Denon AVR-2300X from A4L- don't care about Heos and have the know how to run concealed wire for a 2nd zone. I do regret having been ignorant to a degree and not getting an AVR with preamp outs).

I'd like to keep the LCR budget around $1000. I'm looking for higher efficiency and better upper mids and highs than I currently have (Polk T15 and T30). I'd like something with lower extension than what I'm working with right now, and ok with towers but would prefer Bookshelfs. Brand I've considered are JBL and Klipsch from the retail world ( I do like the sound and efficiency of Def Tecs but their warmth might compromise what I'm really looking for on the HT side of things),and from the ID side the Ascend CMT340s, possibly HSU or RSL, and am open to other suggestions. It seems that frequently folks get steered away from Klipsch in favor of either JBL or an ID offering.

If flat frequency response means much to you...(noting the warmth of the Def techs tells me it might) put these on your list.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

Nothing wrong with Klipsch speakers...in fact they have a very loyal customer base. One of my golf buddies has a complete Klipsch set up and very proud of it. I said they're great if you like the "Klipsch sound". I recently had him over to hear some "flat" speakers...now he understands what I meant by "Klipsch sound". I was the same way with my "warm" B&W speakers...I still like the B&W sound, but now I realize what people meant by warm.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I don't know if Klipsch gets a bad rap for HT on AH perse and I know there are quite a few members that may chime in extolling their virtues. From my experience, I believe Klipsch has some excellent HT speakers, as does JBL and the ID brands you mentioned - affordable as well.

What kind of budget are you looking at?
Lord, I left a lot out of the OP, haha:p. My aim is $1000 for all 3. If it made a significant difference I could see $1500 being doable, but I'd rather not have myriad posts telling me to just go straight up to $1500.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lord, I left a lot out of the OP, haha:p. My aim is $1000 for all 3. If it made a significant difference I could see $1500 being doable, but I'd rather not have myriad posts telling me to just go straight up to $1500.
I'd think about that for a bit. Do you want to be back in a few months with another slightly higher budget? :) Upgraditis is like that. Might be best to find something you really want in the way of speakers and be happier longer even if you have to wait and save up...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure!
Klipsch definitely earned a bad rap for the harshness of their earlier speakers!
At the same time they were successful because the horn resolved some other problems speaker manufactures were wrestling with in the 60's & 70's (mainly SPL/efficiency/power concerns).

Subjectively, I believe they have been a good value for HT speakers for a while, and find there new RP series (among affordable speakers by Klipsch) to be the first speaker they have made that I am entirely comfortable using for a music speaker as well. The problem has always gone to the horn design and the way it "throws" sound at you. I believe the current Reference Premiere Series (such as the RP-160m) has refined the horn to a level where it is no longer harsh or even bright. Most notably, I can toe this speaker in so it is pointed straight at my ears! If I do this with my RF-82 ii's they will be too bright for me.
With the RP series, it has taken me a while to understand what I am hearing and correctly communicate it, and I'm not sure I really know what I'm saying, but this is my latest take on it:
They are still a great HT speaker. What makes them a great HT speaker is the level of "impactfulness"/micro-dynamics/detail which I believe are directly related to the horn design. The attacks of sounds are very crisp and clear. This is great for HT because it gives a heightened sensation of the tense "pin drop" that sets off events in a suspenseful. The Klipsch will stand the hair on the back of my neck up like no others. It is also great for clarity of dialog!
Yet, they are a wonderful music speaker (IMHO). The horn effect (impactfulness, micro-dynamics/detail) is great for a lot of music where the attacks of notes are emphasized. Percussive sounds thrive. For most rock music I find this not just acceptable, but great! However, in the context of acoustic music, this same sensation come across as the sounds being "vivid" and I think that is the perfect word for it! It is far from a bad sound! As a visual analogy, it is kind of like looking through lenses with a very slight amber tint (which increase visual contrast). It can even be a little addictive! For electric guitar, this sounds natural enough (because there are many variables which could allow this to be exactly the original sound),but for something like vibrato on a violin, the vibrato can be a bit too vivid to be natural (especially if the musician was already making the vibrato strong)!
As I said above, I am totally comfortable using these speakers for music this effect is not a problem for me, only on certain content will I notice it, and when I do notice it I think "Wow, that was cool!", but if I do a reality check I realize it probably isn't perfectly true to the recording! Just like the amber lenses, you forget you have them on, but every once in a while something will visually "pop" beyond what is normal. I have yet to notice a place where it sounds "bad".
So, "it is what it is". For me it is entirely acceptable, and often an enhancement I am glad to have. For others it is the best rock speaker ever, and I totally can relate to that! I, personally, have a harder time relating to someone who says (of he RP series) "they outright suck", but I can certainly understand it as the reality that we are individuals (and not a true "hive mind" - though I still like the image). I know there are speakers out there that I discern as having problems, but other experienced "audio geeks" don't notice or it doesn't bother them.

For me, Klipsch has improved enough that I think they no longer deserve the harsher;) criticisms they receive, but even if everyone perceived as I do, it would take years to shake their past reputation. Furthermore, I can imagine someone (such as myself years ago) involuntarily cringing when Klipsch horns are pointing at them, and I bet that is enough to tense the eardrum so they would not experience sound quality!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

There is a review of the Polk T15s forthcoming, and there is something interesting that they do. The only problem is that Polk does not disclose their behavior very well. But the properties of this speaker will be discussed at length pretty soon in a review that we have coming, and I think you will find it interesting.

As for Klipsch, they are fine. The RP stuffs seems to be more neutral and therefore and upgrade over previous series. Ascend, Hsu, and RSL all are solid brands too. There are a lot of great choices for a front stage set at $1k.

2channel lover

I'm not sure!
Klipsch definitely earned a bad rap for the harshness of their earlier speakers!
At the same time they were successful because the horn resolved some other problems speaker manufactures were wrestling with in the 60's & 70's (mainly SPL/efficiency/power concerns).

Subjectively, I believe they have been a good value for HT speakers for a while, and find there new RP series (among affordable speakers by Klipsch) to be the first speaker they have made that I am entirely comfortable using for a music speaker as well. The problem has always gone to the horn design and the way it "throws" sound at you. I believe the current Reference Premiere Series (such as the RP-160m) has refined the horn to a level where it is no longer harsh or even bright. Most notably, I can toe this speaker in so it is pointed straight at my ears! If I do this with my RF-82 ii's they will be too bright for me.
With the RP series, it has taken me a while to understand what I am hearing and correctly communicate it, and I'm not sure I really know what I'm saying, but this is my latest take on it:
They are still a great HT speaker. What makes them a great HT speaker is the level of "impactfulness"/micro-dynamics/detail which I believe are directly related to the horn design. The attacks of sounds are very crisp and clear. This is great for HT because it gives a heightened sensation of the tense "pin drop" that sets off events in a suspenseful. The Klipsch will stand the hair on the back of my neck up like no others. It is also great for clarity of dialog!
Yet, they are a wonderful music speaker (IMHO). The horn effect (impactfulness, micro-dynamics/detail) is great for a lot of music where the attacks of notes are emphasized. Percussive sounds thrive. For most rock music I find this not just acceptable, but great! However, in the context of acoustic music, this same sensation come across as the sounds being "vivid" and I think that is the perfect word for it! It is far from a bad sound! As a visual analogy, it is kind of like looking through lenses with a very slight amber tint (which increase visual contrast). It can even be a little addictive! For electric guitar, this sounds natural enough (because there are many variables which could allow this to be exactly the original sound),but for something like vibrato on a violin, the vibrato can be a bit too vivid to be natural (especially if the musician was already making the vibrato strong)!
As I said above, I am totally comfortable using these speakers for music this effect is not a problem for me, only on certain content will I notice it, and when I do notice it I think "Wow, that was cool!", but if I do a reality check I realize it probably isn't perfectly true to the recording! Just like the amber lenses, you forget you have them on, but every once in a while something will visually "pop" beyond what is normal. I have yet to notice a place where it sounds "bad".
So, "it is what it is". For me it is entirely acceptable, and often an enhancement I am glad to have. For others it is the best rock speaker ever, and I totally can relate to that! I, personally, have a harder time relating to someone who says (of he RP series) "they outright suck", but I can certainly understand it as the reality that we are individuals (and not a true "hive mind" - though I still like the image). I know there are speakers out there that I discern as having problems, but other experienced "audio geeks" don't notice or it doesn't bother them.

For me, Klipsch has improved enough that I think they no longer deserve the harsher;) criticisms they receive, but even if everyone perceived as I do, it would take years to shake their past reputation. Furthermore, I can imagine someone (such as myself years ago) involuntarily cringing when Klipsch horns are pointing at them, and I bet that is enough to tense the eardrum so they would not experience sound quality!
I haven't spent much time with the newer Klipsch you mentioned outside of maybe an hour here, and hour there, but your point on the horn tweeter really hit home.

My 1st exposure to Klipsch was at a Frat House party on the campus of Ole Miss...a huge room and a pair of what I learned to be Klipschorns...blaring classic rock and some R&B tunes all night. I was completely sold and they became my dream speaker. I would second the best rock speaker, especially played loud.

I never did buy the K'horns...when I was finally in position financially to do it, I had drifted a lot more into Jazz, both acoustic and fusion and heard a pair of Linn book shelf speakers...the owner of this little hifi shop in Tampa FL (a Klipsch dealer) let me demo the K'horns and said I want you to listen to these if you will...I think they are a lot more refined than the Klipsch and will suit the Jazz genre a lot better...my 1st venture into UK hifi...he was right.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The only Klipsch line I have a lot of time with is the synergy line (which I believe is the cheapest). They sounded fantastic for movies in our demo room when I sold A/V, but when we put the old Dave Matthews live album that was all acoustic they sounded horrible IMHO. Note that the room wasn't tweaked or anything, but the speakers were so bright they were tough to listen to.

I think that is where the bad wrap comes in. My wife's uncle has a reference setup in his house and loves it. I've been meaning to get over there to hear them, but haven't been able to yet. I've heard plenty of good things about that line.

If I were stuck with using only Klipsch in a dedicated theater I wouldn't be sad about that at all. They handle dynamics VERY well. Easy to drive to reference levels too.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I
I never did buy the K'horns...when I was finally in position financially to do it, I had drifted a lot more into Jazz, both acoustic and fusion and heard a pair of Linn book shelf speakers...the owner of this little hifi shop in Tampa FL (a Klipsch dealer) let me demo the K'horns and said I want you to listen to these if you will...I think they are a lot more refined than the Klipsch and will suit the Jazz genre a lot better...my 1st venture into UK hifi...he was right.
2channel
wow. sounds a lot like my journey. I was sold on the Klipschorns as the best speaker I ever heard way back in the day. I probably still am. But, that doesn't mean I want to buy a set given the size of the beasts and what constitutes my home and all the limitations of a gigantic speaker in normal spaces.

One of the first truly outstanding speakers from a brand I'd never heard of was a pair of Linns at a HiFi shop here in my area. I was truly impressed. Impressed enough to think about buying them. The journey led me ultimately to purchase something else again, but, those Linns started my journey. They make a great sounding speaker.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure!

I'd agree with most of this.

If you want higher efficiency and better highs than what you have, Klipsch will do that very well. From an efficiency/dynamics standpoint with movies, they're probably the only affordable consumer speaker out there that can properly realize the kind of dynamic range you'd get in a real movie theater. Even their bookshelf speakers are capable of filling a medium to large room to reference levels with unrestrained dynamics.

I'd definitely stick to the Premeire line, several dealers will sell them below msrp as "open box". I got my Rp-160ms for about $350 a pair on ebay. How big is your room?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

2channel lover

2channel
wow. sounds a lot like my journey. I was sold on the Klipschorns as the best speaker I ever heard way back in the day. I probably still am. But, that doesn't mean I want to buy a set given the size of the beasts and what constitutes my home and all the limitations of a gigantic speaker in normal spaces.

One of the first truly outstanding speakers from a brand I'd never heard of was a pair of Linns at a HiFi shop here in my area. I was truly impressed. Impressed enough to think about buying them. The journey led me ultimately to purchase something else again, but, those Linns started my journey. They make a great sounding speaker.
Wow...talk about mirroring history...lol

I was 23 or 24 at the time, 1st career gig out of school and got that promotion to Tampa. The shop owner realized far beyond my comprehension at the time that a pair of Klipschorns probably were not in my best interest in a small apartment...perhaps he saved me from myself...lol

Linn...they were perfect for me. The only thing I regret was turning down the turntable. The Linn Sondek turntables were legendary even back then. I had recently sold all of my LPs before moving to FL and didn't see myself investing into LPs again.

But fast forward some 14-15 years, I'd since heard the K'horns several times, including demoing them before I bought my B&W 804s...what they do well, they do very well still to this day. IMO just not in the same class as the B&Ws were...the B&W salesman was the shop owner's son and very well versed in hifi audio.

When I told him I wanted to hear the K'horns again before making my decision...he very confidently said okay with your music taste, I'm sure you'll be back. Of course he was right...the B&Ws were so much more well rounded.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I'd agree with most of this.

If you want higher efficiency and better highs than what you have, Klipsch will do that very well. From an efficiency/dynamics standpoint with movies, they're probably the only affordable consumer speaker out there that can properly realize the kind of dynamic range you'd get in a real movie theater. Even their bookshelf speakers are capable of filling a medium to large room to reference levels with unrestrained dynamics.

I'd definitely stick to the Premeire line, several dealers will sell them below msrp as "open box". I got my Rp-160ms for about $350 a pair on ebay. How big is your room?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
My room is 16'x12' @ ~1700ft³. I would be looking at the RP-160M's as well. It was good to read that they've tweaked their horns to calm them down a little bit and make the speakers a little better for music than they've been in the past.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis