Samsung m8500 hdr to sdr gamma curve setting?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I recently purchased a Samsung m8500 uhd bdp. My 2016 Vizio E series isn't hdr compatible, but like most modern displays, is capable of displaying a slightly better picture than standard bluray, many have commented hdr movies on sdr tvs do look better than regular bluray.

The player has three settings for hdr conversion, low, medium, and high gamma, but I'm not exactly sure what that does. Anybody know or care to take a guess?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
I recently purchased a Samsung m8500 uhd bdp. My 2016 Vizio E series isn't hdr compatible, but like most modern displays, is capable of displaying a slightly better picture than standard bluray, many have commented hdr movies on sdr tvs do look better than regular bluray.

The player has three settings for hdr conversion, low, medium, and high gamma, but I'm not exactly sure what that does. Anybody know or care to take a guess?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

out of curiosity what did you end up setting this at? i have it at middle gamma, also deep color to off with a vizio quantum tv. still cant find anything on that hdr to sdr setting

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
It’s referring to the amount of brightness or nits your tv is capable of. For instance your vizio quantum is one of the brightest TVs on the market and can handle the high setting without any blooming or loss of detail. Rtings.com is a good website to see how your tv brightness measures. Now the Samsung would probably benefit from the middle setting. But don’t forget to take into account your calibrated settings on your tv to begin with.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
It’s referring to the amount of brightness or nits your tv is capable of. For instance your vizio quantum is one of the brightest TVs on the market and can handle the high setting without any blooming or loss of detail. Rtings.com is a good website to see how your tv brightness measures. Now the Samsung would probably benefit from the middle setting. But don’t forget to take into account your calibrated settings on your tv to begin with.
i set gamma on the tv to what rtings recommended, 2.2
but now im wondering about the blu ray player gamma setting, i have to choose low medium or high
ill need to experiment

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis