Houston, we have a problem

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I have a 1700ft³ room. I had set up a 5.1 with an SVS PB 1000. I just picked up a HSU VTF-3 MK4 to put in the opposite corner to even out my response- pristine condition, $300. The Misses says to me:

It's a guest room, not a speaker room! I think you need to quit that forum. They're just encouraging and enabling you.

That's pretty much verbatim Now I admit that the mystery that is the female half of our species is just that, a mystery that I'll never solve, but she apparently doesn't understand this man (me). HT has been a long-embraced goal and passion of mine, and after 20+ years of wanting to make it happen, I have achieved my goal of truly getting started. And I am just getting started!

Anyone else have something comical to share related to WAF?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AFAIC all you married guys have comical stuff with your WAF stories. :) So, how often do you actually have guests? She one of those gals who puts out guest towels that you're not actually supposed to use?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
AFAIC all you married guys have comical stuff with your WAF stories. :) So, how often do you actually have guests? She one of those gals who puts out guest towels that you're not actually supposed to use?
Nah, she's pretty chill. She's just totally satisfied watching stuff on a tablet.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My ex wife and I grew up together through our formative years. At that age, you just take it for granted that everything is a "together" thing. We partied together back then and music was a big part of it, mostly because of me and I kept musical/musician friends. Anyway, she got spoiled to good sounding audio, whether she knew it or not.

Fast forward 20 years, and now she comes and stays with me for a couple months out of the year to catch up with our grandchildren. It never occurred to me that after all this time, she would have a well centered opinion of my current setup. Even more surprising, that while I would be listening at or above reference level, she would come hang out in the music for a good while.

My current GF is an old Motown fanatic and likes R&B etc. She does not usually like loud music. We're both pretty much homebodies. So I always suggest a couple bottles of wine and music in for the night. What she likes is the trivia (name that tune) aspect and then she starts enjoying it at louder volumes. Anyway, now it's a somewhat romantic, "together" thing and she is all for my audio system.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I feel for ya, man. Can't imagine watching something using a tablet let alone its audio.
Well I feel for you. I was supposed to buy the ceiling speakers (RSL 34e is one I have my eye on to try first) to get 5.1.4 in my theater finally but I actually bought a pair of bookshelves and a center (a very WAF friendly q acoustics 3020 and 3090) and then also a sub of course (rythmik L12) for the master bedroom (not the Home Theater). :). My GF was like WTF! Another sub! What happened to the ceiling speakers? Don’t worry, I said. We will get those soon... But... now I have the itch to replace the 5 bed channels in the HT room first... :)
And yes I openly admit I’m an enabler... :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
My ex wife and I grew up together through our formative years. At that age, you just take it for granted that everything is a "together" thing. We partied together back then and music was a big part of it, mostly because of me and I kept musical/musician friends. Anyway, she got spoiled to good sounding audio, whether she knew it or not.

Fast forward 20 years, and now she comes and stays with me for a couple months out of the year to catch up with our grandchildren. It never occurred to me that after all this time, she would have a well centered opinion of my current setup. Even more surprising, that while I would be listening at or above reference level, she would come hang out in the music for a good while.

My current GF is an old Motown fanatic and likes R&B etc. She does not usually like loud music. We're both pretty much homebodies. So I always suggest a couple bottles of wine and music in for the night. What she likes is the trivia (name that tune) aspect and then she starts enjoying it at louder volumes. Anyway, now it's a somewhat romantic, "together" thing and she is all for my audio system.
It's funny you offered this anecdote. We learned about each other initially by chatting while listening to our respective favorites. Hell, our daughter was conceived the morning of her favorite band's concert and she toured with Pearl Jam. In her old age, however (her mid 30s... I kid, I kid about her being old), she just doesn't get down with loud tunes. Thankfully my room is well isolated from the rest of the house, but I do have to take advantage of her time out of the house to ruffle the neighbors' feathers.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Well I feel for you. I was supposed to buy the ceiling speakers (RSL 34e is one I have my eye on to try first) to get 5.1.4 in my theater finally but I actually bought a pair of bookshelves and a center (a very WAF friendly q acoustics 3020 and 3090) and then also a sub of course (rythmik L12) for the master bedroom (not the Home Theater). :). My GF was like WTF! Another sub! What happened to the ceiling speakers? Don’t worry, I said. We will get those soon... But... now I have the itch to replace the 5 bed channels in the HT room first... :)
And yes I openly admit I’m an enabler... :)
Thankfully, for her, the bedroom is the inner sanctum. We both like it like that. We just have the one TV in the HT/guest room.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thankfully, for her, the bedroom is the inner sanctum. We both like it like that. We just have the one TV in the HT/guest room.
I don’t really care for tv in the bedroom either other than for AVR on screen display, but I love clean 2.1 audio in there.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have a 1700ft³ room. I had set up a 5.1 with an SVS PB 1000. I just picked up a HSU VTF-3 MK4 to put in the opposite corner to even out my response- pristine condition, $300. The Misses says to me:

It's a guest room, not a speaker room! I think you need to quit that forum. They're just encouraging and enabling you.

That's pretty much verbatim Now I admit that the mystery that is the female half of our species is just that, a mystery that I'll never solve, but she apparently doesn't understand this man (me). HT has been a long-embraced goal and passion of mine, and after 20+ years of wanting to make it happen, I have achieved my goal of truly getting started. And I am just getting started!

Anyone else have something comical to share related to WAF?
If I were you I would explain to her where you want to be eventually which I am guessing is a solid home theater system. Tell her you would rather have a dedicated home theater room than guest room.

By the way, don't assume that simply placing the other sub in the opposite will smooth the response. There isn't any real way of knowing the effect on the response until the response is measured. You could be inadvertently be making the response worse.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have 3 systems on the go; 6.1 in my basement, 5.1 in the great room and a 2.1 which I recently cobbled together in the bedroom. There was a lot of discussion of home theater setups before buying the place we're in now . She did not want a 5.1 system in the great room, did not want speakers on stands and just wanted the display. I told her that I have equipment for two setups and I would like to have both systems available. We arranged a compromise and used ceiling speakers for the surrounds. It works OK but not nearly as good as surrounds on stands. It was a compromise that worked for both of us. She did not want a 5.1 system in the bedroom either and to tell you the truth, there is far too much compromise from a listening and speaker positioning to make it happen. She did not object to the 2.1 system setup and I will leave it at that.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
The GF is the only reason I haven't bought a second Rythmik sub to put in the room. She's been fine with my purchases so far. Granted it's only a 5.1 system. We both really enjoy watching movies and listening to music. Although I'm more into music then she is, she really likes airplay and streaming from her phone. Sometimes, when I come home from the gym and she's rocking out , it puts a smile on my face. Now, about that second sub.......

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
The Misses says to me:

"It's a guest room, not a speaker room! I think you need to quit that forum. They're just encouraging and enabling you."
Haha. That's funny. Now the truth is, you just gotta put things into perspective. What's the ratio of it being used as a theater versus guests sleeping in there. My guess would be it's like 100:1. Thus, it's actually a theater room that you allow guests to occasionally sleep in. Boom. Problem solved.

Does she have a hobby that she enjoys without question? Most of us let our wives do their things with no grief. It's unfortunate that's usually not reciprocated. Most won't ever understand the enjoyment we get out of audio/video, cars, fishing, [insert stereotypically male hobby here]. etc. And I certainly do not understand the thrill that many ladies get from knitting, quilting, insisting on massive amounts of decorative pillows, or any of the other boring things they might be into. BUT I think us men are typically better about just letting them be. Thankfully my wife lets me run the show when it comes to our A/V, even if she's not always a fan. She gets to decide most everything else in the house when it comes to decoration, so it's only fair, right?

A

adatrao

Audioholic Intern
A RARE EXCEPTION….;)
WAF is a big factor which can swing the selection of our gear. But rarely there are exceptions.
In my case I am blessed. My wife was very supportive of my AV madness. No complaints on the hijacking of real estate in the main room.

When I was bringing in the PB 13 ultra into home, I thought either she would throw me out or the ultra :confused:. But nothing of that sort happened. Once positioned, it was like a person taking a permanent seat in our main room :rolleyes:.... In fact when I set up the whole SVS ultra system, the skeptical thoughts of my wife were blown away by the awesome bass effects. Every day became a movie night. My wife was a movie junkie from before but became an ardent fan of my theater oops our theater! :cool:

She would turn as a gatekeeper for my system till I return from office :D. I have a notoriously energetic kid and need to keep the woofers/tweeter away from his curiosity (SVS took care of the tweeter anyway). So my wifey would guard them from my child as well as our apartment kids. The more pronounced the effects, the more our kids are attracted to my gear.

Icing on the cake - These days the bug of upgrade has bitten me and I share all my AV itches with her, she patiently listens to all my dreams (mad thoughts in real sense) and puts her seal of approval. So in my case the other 50 % complements and supplements my 50%. Credits to her actually because we can understand our point of view but rarely we find a person who understands our view.

A complete perfect score of 10 on 10 WAF SCORE (I would actually rate it 15 if someone allows that)….
In short, Houston it’s all peaceful on my shuttle!:p

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You are very lucky.

My wife is also very accepting of what I do in our living room, and is also an ardent movie-watcher. However, she will NOT turn on the system and absolutely hates LFE on my system. On the rare occasion we go to the movies, she never says a word about the LFE (bass) there. There is no understanding her.

What I do have, which I truly appreciate, is a "don't ask, don't tell" policy on my spending for it. I wouldn't lie to her, as a 37+ year marriage needs complete trust to endure. She knows it's pricey stuff relative to her indulgences, so I do comp with some small shiny objects now & then which she knows are costly yet she also knows not to ask what those cost either.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Update: less than a week in and not another mention of the situation. In addition not mentioning the added sub, she agreed with me about taking out some furniture and mounting the TV on the wall to de-clutter the space. I'd say things are moving forward nicely!:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I already have a green light from wife to replace current pa-120 with VTF-15mk2. I tried to use words like big ugly black rectangle box standing in prominent corner. Even mocked the size for her, still got a ok from her.
For some of her faults, I guess I'm lucky guy compared to many of married forum regulars.
The only thing stopping me is It was a while since I've watch a movie with speakers. 99.9% of time it's headphones time for me due to little kids in the house. Buying new sub would just gather dust.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I already have a green light from wife to replace current pa-120 with VTF-15mk2. I tried to use words like big ugly black rectangle box standing in prominent corner. Even mocked the size for her, still got a ok from her.
For some of her faults, I guess I'm lucky guy compared to many of married forum regulars.
The only thing stopping me is It was a while since I've watch a movie with speakers. 99.9% of time it's headphones time for me due to little kids in the house. Buying new sub would just gather dust.
Oh, the kiddos. We have a 13m.o. daughter who sleeps pretty solid, leaving me the chance to play at a level where I appreciate the bass, although it's nowhere near pushing either sub. When I do get the house to myself, I take every minute I can to have fun. Having the VTF-3 MK4 and the PB-1000 in a room under 1800ft³ is really fun. I now understand what pressurizing a room means.;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, the kiddos. We have a 13m.o. daughter who sleeps pretty solid, leaving me the chance to play at a level where I appreciate the bass, although it's nowhere near pushing either sub. When I do get the house to myself, I take every minute I can to have fun. Having the VTF-3 MK4 and the PB-1000 in a room under 1800ft³ is really fun. I now understand what pressurizing a room means.;)
Fortunately or unfortunately (depends on how you look on it) my family room is much larger and open to pretty much rest of the house. I'd really need 3-4 heavy duty subs to pressurize it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis