The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I dunno. It doesn't seem terribly sensible/logical to eat at McDonalds given the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of their food. :p
My wife occasionally eats Cheez-its. She knows they have no nutritional value whatsoever, except as salt and fat delivery devices, and are not good for one's health. We can easily afford better snacks for her. She eats Cheez-its, I suspect mostly when I'm not watching, because she likes them. I also suspect she doesn't even know what they cost. WB does know what his McDonalds breakfast costs, it was right there in the video about him on Netflix, but he a money-counter. (My wife is definitely not a money-counter, and since I am that makes for some interesting conversations.) I think WB and my wife are both junk food junkies.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
By the way, I love Cheeze-It's too. However, I stopped eating that stuff many years ago and my digestive problems went away.

I wonder if there's a connection?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
By the way, I love Cheeze-It's too. However, I stopped eating that stuff many years ago and my digestive problems went away.

Some people just can't handle certain "cheese" whether it's electronics or foods, pun intended. :D

I can handle the food cheese variety, but no so much the electronics cheese variety. :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

In my wife's case she also craves Ding Dongs, but that's where I draw the line. I refuse to be an accomplice in poisoning her like that.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Me and Ding Dongs, No.

That includes Hostess fruit pies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, if we're talking about snacks, then I'll go with Unsalted Mixed Nuts. :D

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Actually, it's been about snacks that produce unintended consequences.

At least for me. :eek:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the warranty speaks for itself.

Even the $20K components (except for the Analog Amps and Preamps from Bryston) get only 3YR warranty from most companies.
Not addressing your point, but I thought it was noteworthy that Outlaw gives a 5 year warranty on all of their amps!
(2 years on receiver & pre-pro)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not addressing your point, but I thought it was noteworthy that Outlaw gives a 5 year warranty on all of their amps!
(2 years on receiver & pre-pro)
Yeah, the ANALOG amps are easy. ATI has a 7YR warranty on all their amps. We already know about Bryston's 20YR warranty on all their ANALOG amps.

It's the Pre-pro and AVR warranties that suck. 2YR is pathetic.

Denon offers 3YR on their AVRs. Even the cheap X1000 series that is often on sale for $300 gets a 3YR warranty.

For AVRs, SONY ES has the best warranty. Their ES-800 series ($700) and ES-1000 series ($800) have 5YR warranty.

Now if only SONY would put Audyssey XT32 into their damn ES AVRs. :D

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
"....is a refined musical instrument"

That's funny, I always thought a power amplifier was an electronic device that uses electrical current from a power supply to increase the amplitude of a signal.

The above quote from taken from an power amplifier ad. In the audiophile world, you learn something new every day. Amazing.
If it's a musical instrument, it somehow vibrates and if it resonates, then it's not good news! It adds to the signal that was fed into it which means "DISTORTION"! :rolleyes:

By the way, what is the amplifier brand?

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
If it's a musical instrument, it somehow vibrates and if it resonates, then it's not good news! It distorts what was fed into it! :rolleyes:

By the way, what is the amplifier brand?
I didn't want to reveal that out of fairness to the manufacturer, but I'll you what, in answer to your question, I think I'll 'pass'.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't want to reveal that out of fairness to the manufacturer, but I'll you what, in answer to your question, I think I'll 'pass'.
If the manufacturer wants to publish bullshit info to customers, these are allowed to know the truth, aren't they? IMO, an unscrupulous manufacturer does not deserve any fairness!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
If the manufacturer wants to publish bullshit info to customers, these are allowed to know the truth, aren't they?
Yes. But it seems that people who can afford these products don't care about the truth. Their truth is their 'belief' system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw that PASS offers only a 3YR warranty on their amps. Lame!

Even Monoprice offers a 5YR warranty on their $1300 200x5 Monolith amp.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. But it seems that people who can afford these products don't care about the truth. Their truth is their 'belief' system.
Don't you agree with me when I say that most people who visit this site is to know "THE REAL TRUTH" about audio/visual products?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"....rewarding its listeners with a whole new zenith of sound quality."

$13,500.00 each

That's another one of theirs. I wonder what that means?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Don't you agree with me when I say that most people who visit this site is to know the truth about audio products?
Absolutely. That's why I brought this up on this thread. I just didn't want to mention the brand name. And I didn't. :rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"....rewarding its listeners with a whole new zenith of sound quality."

$13,500.00 each

That's another one of theirs. I wonder what that means?
Pass Labs also "fine tune" their amps and believe each of their amps has a "unique sonic signature".

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis