The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"Now if I were a billionaire, warranty wouldn't mean much either."

I guess values change at that level. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I see your point. Are the Macs modular in design, in other words, can they be upgraded easily as time goes on as the video formats change?
I have not heard about that of McIntosh.

I've heard about the Theta Digital $20K components being modular.

But back to reality, never gonna happen. Denon it is. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Now if I were a billionaire, warranty wouldn't mean much either."

I guess values change at that level. :)
Yeah, I think I would become corrupted and "biased" with that kind of money power. :D

Hey, I'm only human! :D

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"But back to reality, never gonna happen. Denon it is."

Smart! Very smart! :cool:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
But based on your knowledge (science) and experience in the industry, wouldn't you still opt to purchase something reasonably designed and priced?
Reasonably designed? Absolutely. I'm not sure what "reasonably priced" would even mean if you could just invest a billion dollars and "earn" more in a day than most people in the US do in a year.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I just thought for that kind of money, McIntosh could at least have designed their products with an upgradable option rather than having to purchase new electronic hardware components all over again a few years down the road.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Reasonably designed? Absolutely. I'm not sure what "reasonably priced" would even mean if you could just invest a billion dollars and "earn" more in a day than most people in the US do in a year.
I wonder what kind of sound system Warren Buffett has?

Looking at his modest house, I'll bet his sound system is as modest as well and based on good old-fashioned common sense.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just thought for that kind of money, McIntosh could at least have designed their products with an upgradable option rather than having to purchase new electronic hardware components all over again a few years down the road.
That would be too economical and sensible for the consumers, not for them. :D

No, they want people to buy a new Pre-pro every 3YR when the warranty expires in 3YR because they can make a lot more money. :D

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
That would be too economical and sensible for the consumers, not for them. :D

No, they want people to buy a new Pre-pro every 3YR when the warranty expires in 3YR because they can make a lot more money. :D
Yup. Well said.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I wonder what kind of sound system Warren Buffett has?

Looking at his modest house, I'll bet his sound system is as modest as well and based on good old-fashioned common sense.
Buffett also clips coupons to go to McDonalds, so I'm not entirely sure he represents the "typical" billionare. That said, it entirely depends upon what value he places on such things. In general, he seems to value building more wealth and passing it on over spending money on cars, houses, and good food. It's his choice to make, but not how I'd live if I hit the Powerball.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Buffett also clips coupons to go to McDonalds, so I'm not entirely sure he represents the "typical" billionare. That said, it entirely depends upon what value he places on such things. In general, he seems to value building more wealth and passing it on over spending money on cars, houses, and good food. It's his choice to make, but not how I'd live if I hit the Powerball.
Ah yes, the human value system. I see your point, but Buffett is my kind of billionaire.

Bill Gates has a nice house (and probably an expensive sound system), but he has helped a lot of people all over the world.

Human values, priorities and goals.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ah yes, the human value system. I see your point.

Bill Gates has a nice house (and probably an expensive sound system),but he has helped a lot people all over the world.

Human values, priorities and goals.
I think Bill Gates has an actual commercial IMAX movie theater inside his house. :eek: :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I get a kick out of Warren Buffett discussions. Warren Buffett buys breakfast at McDonalds because he likes their food. He's lived in the same house in Omaha for, what, 50 years? Of course, he also owns other properties. He drives Cadillacs because he like Cadillacs. On the other hand, he flies everywhere he goes on NetJets, which probably runs well into seven figures per year. He has at least one full-time body guard, probably more. Multiple full-time assistants organizing everything. I'm thinking WB lives mostly like one would expect for a billionaire, and better than all but the biggest Powerball winners could support. I think he puts on a nice show with the house in Omaha (which is not small) and the McDonalds breakfasts.

WB is as cheap as it gets about paying taxes, and uses every work-around possible to avoid them. Like paying himself $1 per year to run Berkshire Hathway. That's a cute little trick. Income taxes on wages are the highest of all, and he doesn't even have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes. Lots of CEOs do this, and IMO it should be illegal, since it's a tax dodge not available to us "little people". I know he's seen as some sort of folk hero, but Buffett strikes me as just as ruthless as any hedge fund manager on Wall Street, but a lot richer.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Is that you Spock? :D

I dunno. It doesn't seem terribly sensible/logical to eat at McDonalds given the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of their food. :p
Good point. :) I won't eat there.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
WB is as cheap as it gets about paying taxes, and uses every work-around possible to avoid them.
So you're suggesting he's not really disappointed that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary???? I'm shocked by this!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"....is a refined musical instrument"

That's funny, I always thought a power amplifier was an electronic device that uses electrical current from a power supply to increase the amplitude of a signal.

The above quote from taken from an power amplifier ad. In the audiophile world, you learn something new every day. Amazing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"....is a refined musical instrument"

That's funny, I always thought a power amplifier was an electronic device that uses electrical current from a power supply to increase the amplitude of a signal.

The above quote from taken from an power amplifier ad. In the audiophile world, you learn something new every day. Amazing.
Well, newbies will believe anything about amps and cables. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis