Full Range Bookshelf

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Bryston mini T (some may argue it is a high end Axiom) is among the fullest range "bookshelf" there is. They are stands mount for sure, but to call them bookshelf seems a stretch, though I am sure there are available large bookshelves that can take them, if one looks hard enough.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Those alternatives are ported. At high power used without a crossover the drivers will decouple. If you are going to make a small speaker and use it at power without a crossover then it has to be a sealed alignment.

Secondly you can not look at F3 alone when comparing a sealed and ported alignment. The ATC and BMR will have comparable output at 20 Hz.

That small midrange in the BMR is an interesting driver, but it is not a high powered driver. It certainly is not designed for high spl. The OP is already running his KEFs beyond limits.

Lastly no one makes drivers that take the power like Billy Woodman. If those drivers were available to the DIY market, I would use them in a heart beat.

One last note the Stereophile review of the SCM 11 is excellent, but since that review the SCM 11 has a redesigned tweeter.
Since I obviously have a vested interest, I won't derail the thread with a point-by-point rebuttal. But I would note that while both speakers might have equal output by the time you get down to 20 Hz, the output from either will be inconsequential.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
All bookshelves are full range with a big enough amp.
And with good room correction/EQ. And that's only if you don't consider distortion. Some drivers can handle the extra power with aplomb, and some will start breaking up and sound bad.

annunaki

annunaki

With the ATC the response will be down by -18db at 28hz based upon the specs of a -6db point of 56hz http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/entry-series/scm11/

I see the point you are making Dr. Mark. However, with some of the options mentioned being vented designs and having -3db points in the mid 40’s to upper 30’s the perceived bass response will be significantly better on those vented designs because of where they start being -3db or so vs a sealed design.

The Monoprice speakers for example have a -2db point at 39hz. They would be down -26db at 19.5hz Assuming both started at 80db, the monoprice option is up significantly already even at 39hz.

Regardless I say get a sub to go with a good set of bookshelves if you want full range. Use the speakers as they are intended. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
And with good room correction/EQ. And that's only if you don't consider distortion. Some drivers can handle the extra power with aplomb, and some will start breaking up and sound bad.
Woooosh ;) The monkey was clearly joking

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis