Need VR headset as a gift for 10 year old

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looking at $50 to $100 for budget.
Is that viable?
I don't know enough to know what info to provide, so ask questions!
It is for XBox and maybe he can also use with windows laptop (?)
I have a little over a week!
Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Uh aren't VR headset way more expensive than that? Like the Oculus Rift is $400 and the HTC Vive is $500 or $600? Make sure you know what this 10 year old means by VR headset, because the popular ones are way more than $100.

I would just get him a nice pack of bubble gum instead.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The only way to fit this budget is to get something like GearVR or Google DreamVR - these are accessories which require a smartphone. I have Galaxy S8 and GearVR - it's a better experience over previously tried LG G4 with Google Cardboard VR headset, but not hugely so. The issue is screen resolution. You'll still end up seeing individual pixels.
Standalone VR (doesn't require a smartphone) like Oculus Go start at $200 and isn't great either
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2018/05/04/after-testing-both-new-standalone-vr-headsets-im-still-not-sold-on-vr/

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Uh aren't VR headset way more expensive than that? Like the Oculus Rift is $400 and the HTC Vive is $500 or $600? Make sure you know what this 10 year old means by VR headset, because the popular ones are way more than $100.

I would just get him a nice pack of bubble gum instead.
LOL!
Like I said, I am clueless.
A quick search for VR headset on Amazon results in several under $100; but if these are all total crap, then I'll know not to waste the $ on them!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think a 10 year old asking for a VR headset is probably referring to the serious ones, i.e., HTC Vive or Oculus Rift packages. Both those are a bit expensive and also require a heavy-duty computer.

If you want to play it safe for a gift for a 10 year old, just get them a gift card for somewhere they will like. Maybe a Steam gift card.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well right now we are regrouping. If the mom gives the okay on an expensive VR headset, we can pool resources and perhaps afford the $159 price as one big present from several people.
I hope to get worthwhile feedback either tonight or Saturday!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So asking for more detail, he is looking at $400 VR Headset - I'll let you know if anything changes, but right now, it looks like he'll get a helmet for riding his bike instead!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis