Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I haven't ever heard Revels but I wondered if I'd dislike them due to excessive "neutrality" which I consider to be a fault of my Infinity Intermezzos (i.e. "clinical" or "sterile" sound)
I've heard Salon's quite a few times and they've never sounded 'sterile'. Tonally they are a well balanced speaker with a pristine treble.

All I know is I liked my B&Ws better than my Infinitys for music and that's what I attributed the difference to.
Most B&W's are tilted slightly to the warm side of neutrality, although the new continuum series depart from that formula to some extent. IMO the new 700 series is really outstanding. Perhaps slightly bright in the treble but outstanding detail and resolution.

J

Johnny Bones

Audiophyte
What constitutes the term Loudspeaker? Anything above what wattage? Whats the better this or that Tele or Strat? Isnt the player and the room the real test of tune? We want to experience our music as harmonious to our life.. lets appreciate the simple sound of...

Last edited:
Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Any thoughts on building a sound sytem using either Focal or B&W speakers for both music and movies. The loudspeaker of interest are; Focal Aria 948 or B&W 702 S2.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What constitutes the term Loudspeaker? Anything above what wattage? Whats the better this or that Tele or Strat? Isnt the player and the room the real test of tune? We want to experience our music as harmonious to our life.. lets appreciate the simple sound of...
Loudspeaker is the term which was given to a device that converts electrical alternating current to acoustic energy. The loudness level was irrelevant in giving the transducer its name.

As a matter of fact, any loudspeaker can produce very soft sound as well as a louder sound within its limits.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Just my opinion guy without having to put a 2nd mortgage or take out a loan. Martin Logan’s 60s. Good looking speaker over sized drivers, piano black, rosewood. Won’t go into specs well cause I don’t want! l’ll leave that to you spec, Gurus. Just wish they would have post “ Martin Logan” on axis off axis. Other than that I see no point comparing the name speaks for themselves well respected speaker manufactory.

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Sorry guys, our forum only allows 10 options in a poll so I went with the brands most folks here are familiar with. I meant to disrespect to Ascends, Salk or others not mentioned in the polling options. As enough data is gathered, I will pick the top 3 to assign near future speaker reviews. thanks for your help.
@gene, Please, umm.. pretty please..:) Pick Martin Logan 60s! I never asked for anything on your Forum plus I’m your BIGGEST FAN! . ;)

Mike
Now I gotta go Listerine my mouth.
Yuk.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
My Martin Logan Grotto sub is built like a tank. Love the quality of it.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
None on the short poll list are particularly bad, though a couple do offer some low-level speakers I just can't listen to for more than a couple minutes (Klipsch.) There's a few that don't appear on the list, KEF in particular. They've deleted their least expensive C series, it really wasn't very good for the money. What they offer now across the whole line is probably out-selling at least 6 only the list by orders of magnitude.

mattlach

mattlach

Junior Audioholic
I'm going to abstain from voting in this one for now.

I really like my RBH speakers, but I haven't auditioned some of the more car-priced brands on the list for comparison.

mattlach

mattlach

Junior Audioholic
For me that's a minimum for HT. 15s and 18s for me as I love low bass lol
You can get low bass without going with excessively large drivers. All depends on the amp, the shape of the enclosure and the configuration of the ports.

My SVS PC-13 Ultras may only be 13", but with one port blocked and tuned to 16hz, they'll shake your butt from across the room if you let them :p

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You can get low bass without going with excessively large drivers. All depends on the amp, the shape of the enclosure and the configuration of the ports.

My SVS PC-13 Ultras may only be 13", but with one port blocked and tuned to 16hz, they'll shake your butt from across the room if you let them :p
Huh? Not sure the issue..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, as far as drivers or subs go, 15s and 18s are much more readily available than 13s...and there's no replacement for displacement....

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, as far as drivers or subs go, 15s and 18s are much more readily available than 13s...and there's no replacement for displacement....
As lovinthehd said "there's no replacement for displacement" but 3 way speakers with 15" drivers, like the JBL 4367's go for about $15,000 a pair. What you get for that expenditure is effortless high volume. In other words, you're going to feel the music without it sounding loud, or strained. It's non-fatiguing sound full of detail. I wish I could afford a pair. I have absolutely no doubt it would deliver what I only get a glimpse of from my 3 ways with 12'' drivers.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
You Know. After going through many brands the last few years, I would have to say Monitor Audio's attention to detail is outstanding. Their quality surpasses Revel, Dynaudio, Kef, Ascend, etc in my opinion. Kef however is really close and could even inch above since their shipping boxes are better.:)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Which model Monitor Audio against which model KEF? Apples to apples comparison, please.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis