Kef LS50 tower part 2

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So another question to get some more opinions. In my other post I narrowed my speaker choice down to Dynaudio Focal and Revel. I’m looking for a floor speaker to upgrade over my Kef LS50. With the budget at 5 grand max. Suggest some speakers that have the Kef quality’s but in a tower. I may have missed something and I’m still uneasy of pulling the trigger on the Dynaudio X44, Focal Aria 936 or Revel F208. Hints why I’m doing one last post. And yes I have already listened to the above three and lean towards the Focal since the cost is lower and sound amazing. But the X44 might be a hair better but are a lot more than the focal and over budget.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So another question to get some more opinions. In my other post I narrowed my speaker choice down to Dynaudio Focal and Revel. I’m looking for a floor speaker to upgrade over my Kef LS50. With the budget at 5 grand max. Suggest some speakers that have the Kef quality’s but in a tower. I may have missed something and I’m still uneasy of pulling the trigger on the Dynaudio X44, Focal Aria 936 or Revel F208. Hints why I’m doing one last post. And yes I have already listened to the above three and lean towards the Focal since the cost is lower and sound amazing. But the X44 might be a hair better but are a lot more than the focal and over budget.
For Kef quality in a floorstander, why not get the R900?

Or if you really want a serious upgrade but with Kef quality, save a little more and get the Kef Reference 1 bookshelf speaker and just use some good subwoofers with it. That would be like an upgraded Kef tower but with more powerful and adjustable bass. The Uni-Q drivers used in the Reference speakers are better than the ones in the LS50s.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. Really going for a tower so I don’t have to use stands. I thought about the R 700/900 as someone said in another thread that the top end is close to the LS50 but not as good. So yeah, that could work.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. Really going for a tower so I don’t have to use stands. I thought about the R 700/900 as someone said in another thread that the top end is close to the LS50 but not as good. So yeah, that could work.
I wouldn't say the R900 is not as good, just a touch less transparent. It could have been due to positioning and whether I plug the port(s) or not. They are side by side that means not in the same position, so the room effect is still there in a big way, though reduced because of the short distance. Subjectively, I prefer the LS50 plus sub or the R900 and would not consider the Revel. The F208 sounded much too "warm", yet short on transparency. If I were to totally go with measurements then I would take the R900 for sure.

Below are the comparison FR plots in my room, at 1 meter. I used 1/6 smoothing to make it easier t compare and that's supposedly how we hear, assuming there are no major issues that could be masked by the smoothing, such as resonances.

LS50 Vs R900.jpg

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Looking at reviews etc most of last night one other speaker is really interesting. I haven't listened to it but for the money it looks to be a real contender. The Monitor Audio Silver 500. I could save a lot. It has the big drivers for low bass which will help with a full range speaker that I am after. Now where anywhere can I listen to these. These would be a try at home only deal for me..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking at reviews etc most of last night one other speaker is really interesting. I haven't listened to it but for the money it looks to be a real contender. The Monitor Audio Silver 500. I could save a lot. It has the big drivers for low bass which will help with a full range speaker that I am after. Now where anywhere can I listen to these. These would be a try at home only deal for me..
I installed a 7.2 based on the Monitor Audio Silver 8 a few years ago. They seemed to sound like the LS50s, probably closer to the R500 or R700. I think you will be better off with the R900, lower distortions.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. I certainly don't want to downgrade. I already have really good speakers and looking to step up a little with larger towers.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I certainly don't want to downgrade. I already have really good speakers and looking to step up a little with larger towers.
The new Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2 will meet your parameters and definitely take you to the next level over the LS50 and the other models you are considering. Buy them, take them home and give them a try. You will be amazed.

:D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't want to mislead you, so for clarity, I am very familiar with the Silver 8 that I installed for my brother in law. I have not auditioned the Silver 500, so you may want to audition them to find out if they are downgrade or upgrade from what you have. For one thing, I noticed that they do have larger bass drivers than their predecessor. Surprisingly they are a touch lighter than the Silver 8.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis