Need help on bi-amping my Paradigm Persona 9H.

L

LombaxAudioholic

Audiophyte
So it has been almost a year since I purchased my Persona 9H. I paired my speakers with a McIntosh MC301 monoblocks each. Giving them 300 watts RMS of power each. I have been planning lately on upgrading the current system into a passive bi-amplified way. The plan is to get two more of the MC301 which will be four of them now powering the highs and lows of the two speakers. However, according to the spec sheet of my speakers, the suitable amplifier power range is between 15 to 500 watts with that said that the maximum input power is 400 watts. This got my scratching my head. Correct me if I'm wrong but does bi-amping two 300 watt amplifier result into adding their power? Giving two speakers 600 watts each? Nonetheless, if that's the case, it exceeds the numbers given on my spec sheet.

Question is: With this setup in mind, will it break my Paradigms?

Thank you.

Matt

L

LombaxAudioholic

Audiophyte
Not additive, but try the explanation in this article

Sounds like spending a lot on amps for little benefit....or do you just like it ear-bleeding loud?
Thanks. I have read that article and watched the video few months ago. That actually gave me the option to go bi-amp. The sole reason is what Gene said on extending the customization of how you want to hear the sound. To give more gain on the mids and lessen the lows. I feel the crossovers on my speakers isn't enough.

So back to my main question, is this doable? Yes, I am used to listening at "ear-bleeding loud". If upgraded to bi-amp, will the speakers clip?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
First, let me tell you that passive bi-amping has no practical advantage, unless one amplifier doesn't have enough power output.
Your Persona 9H floor standing speakers use active woofer amplifiers to drive the woofers for frequencies below 400 Hz. Most of the power required falls within those frequencies. You are at present driving the mid-high frequency drivers with 300 watt amps, so you definitely have no need to bi-amp for those mid and high frequencies.

To calculate SPL levels which you can reach with your existing amps: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Last edited:
L

LombaxAudioholic

Audiophyte
First, let me tell you that passive bi-amping has no practical advantage, unless one amplifier doesn't have enough power output.
Your Persona 9H floorstanding speakers use active woofer amplifiers to drive the woofers for frequencies below 400 Hz. Mos of the power required falls within those frequencies. You are at presnt driving the mid-high frequncy drivers with 300 watt amps, so you definitely have no need to bi-amp for those mid and high frequencies.
Thanks for reminding me that, man! Jeez, I haven't paid much attention to my speakers lately. Have forgotten what the salesman told me about the woofers. For long now, I thought I was powering all of the speaker's drivers. Really appreciate your help. Saved me a ton of money.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
At this point, perhaps investigate room treatments and room correction to get the very best results from what you already have.

What sources are you using for music?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Correct me if I'm wrong but does bi-amping two 300 watt amplifier result into adding their power? Giving two speakers 600 watts each? Nonetheless, if that's the case, it exceeds the numbers given on my spec sheet.
Not for the 9H because it has it's own 2 X 700 watts class D amps for the woofers already.

Question is: With this setup in mind, will it break my Paradigms?
There is not enough information. If Verdinut is right about the mid and high drivers being together, then they should be able to take the 300 W amp without much concern, and the other 300 W will be wasted because the woofers are self powered. If the mid and high (tweeter) drivers are separated with the jumpers removed, then you can easily blow the expensive Be tweeter if you are not very careful with the volume control.

Before you attempt any sort of bi-amp you should talk to Paradigm, and insist that you talk to their engineers who know what they are talking about. Don't trust the sales rep, just in case.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Paradigm is reminding me more and more of DefTech and GoldenEar. :D

The DefTech BP7000SC I used to own had a 14" woofer + 1800W class-D amp! :D

Next thing you know, DefTech and GoldenEar will add Dirac (instead of ARC) to their speaker's with built in amps for the woofers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I think Dirac has the opportunity to displace a LOT of Audyssey in units. They've got Arcam and NAD now, and those two have been working hard to iron-out the process. What Dirac has to do to really grow is come up with a newer product that would be resident in the AVR. Like the ARC/ARCII from Anthem/Paradigm/Martin Logan, it needs a PC to run the app and upload the correction file to the AVR.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think Dirac has the opportunity to displace a LOT of Audyssey in units. They've got Arcam and NAD now, and those two have been working hard to iron-out the process. What Dirac has to do to really grow is come up with a newer product that would be resident in the AVR. Like the ARC/ARCII from Anthem/Paradigm/Martin Logan, it needs a PC to run the app and upload the correction file to the AVR.
I hope as they get more popular, they would become more affordable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis