Is this Acurus amp high quality?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Only buy that amp if you are prepared to have your speakers destroyed and even catch fire.

Those amps have no DC offset speaker protection. So if a power transistor blows you get the whole DC rail voltage sent to the connected woofer in that speaker. That makes for smoke!

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Ok wow. Whats another 3 channel that can put out that kind of power around the same price?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Can I use a 2 channel crown amp for my left and rights and then another amp bridged to run my center channel? Or would it sound weird?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can I use a 2 channel crown amp for my left and rights and then another amp bridged to run my center channel? Or would it sound weird?
Like TLS Guy says, I wouldn’t bridge any amp. Just use 1 channel, but keep the mode in Stereo 2Ch.

A Crown XLS 1002 like-new w/ full warranty costs $260 from Amazon Warehouse. If you just need 3Ch, then 2 Amps = $520.

Check out the Pros and Cons I have for these Pro amps.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/crown-xls-1502-amp-impression.111262/page-8

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Would the gains have to be set differently on the fronts and center to match?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
or would I run audyssey to set all levels?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Only buy that amp if you are prepared to have your speakers destroyed and even catch fire.

Those amps have no DC offset speaker protection. So if a power transistor blows you get the whole DC rail voltage sent to the connected woofer in that speaker. That makes for smoke!
I wonder how many times a meltdown like that has actually happened though. I do remember that company’s (Mondial) design philosophy back then, ‘less is more’. The less that’s in the signal path, the purer the sound. I had Acurus components (preamp and power amp) at one time, they were rock solid, but luckily never experienced any type of damage that you mention.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would say for an amp that age a power transistor failure is HIGHLY likely. The failure mode is always a short connecting the speaer to the high voltage rail without protection.
Unless you think your speakers are disposable then you should not use them.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So I am going to steer clear of the Acurus amps. How about 2 of these to power LCR? One amp use both channels on the left and right and the other amp just use 1 channel for the center. Since theyre so cheap.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--CWNXLI800

200 watts at 8ohms

Also, the XLi's are much heavier. Does that mean better transistors and guts? They are also cheaper than the XLS drivecore 2 amps because of no DSP probably. Ill just use audyssey to set them up anyhow. Also, the XLi's are a/b amps... would they sound better with speakers and the XLS drivecore 2's being class D better for subwoofers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I am going to steer clear of the Acurus amps. How about 2 of these to power LCR? One amp use both channels on the left and right and the other amp just use 1 channel for the center. Since theyre so cheap.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--CWNXLI800

200 watts at 8ohms

Also, the XLi's are much heavier. Does that mean better transistors and guts? They are also cheaper than the XLS drivecore 2 amps because of no DSP probably. Ill just use audyssey to set them up anyhow. Also, the XLi's are a/b amps... would they sound better with speakers and the XLS drivecore 2's being class D better for subwoofers?
XLi amps are class A/B, XLS Drivecore are D class. Got an email response from Crown at one time when questioning use of XLS Drivecore amps or other Crown amps with subs for sub-20hz response and they said "An amp without any form of DSP in it, the XLi and CTs. Still with both of these amps at some point below 20Hz you will trigger the DC/LF circuit. That is typically below 10Hz for that to be triggered. " That said, I run several subs off Crown XLS 1500s....

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I want to use the XLi amps to power my LCR with a high pass of 80hz. Since they are A/B amps shouldn't they sound better with LCR rather than the class D XLS drivecore 2 amps? I will use a XLS drivecore class D for my sub. Is that a smart way to do it? Or will the amps sound different at all with LCR?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I want to use the XLi amps to power my LCR with a high pass of 80hz. Since they are A/B amps shouldn't they sound better with LCR rather than the class D XLS drivecore 2 amps? I will use a XLS drivecore class D for my sub. Is that a smart way to do it? Or will the amps sound different at all with LCR?
I don't assign SQ differences to mere class differences. I've used the XLS Drivecores for both subs and mains (and in one setup still do use them in a 2ch system). I doubt you could tell any audible difference between them personally (but have not used the XLi).

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Since the XLi are so much cheaper should I try them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just depends if you might find the features for the price in one over the other useful, that's what I'd look at.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I don't know much about using a DSP so I am just gonna use my audyssey instead of a DSP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis