Why No HDMI For Zone 2/Zone 3?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have noticed many mid-level muti-channel avr's do NOT allow HDMI as a source for Zone 2 or Zone 3. Some will allow S/PDIF and none will for Zone 3. Still yet, some only allow analog sources for Zone 2. Is there any particular reason why this is so? Why is HDMI left out altogether for Zone 2 or Zone 3? What am I missing here?

If some avr's offer S/PDIF for Zone 2, then why is HDMI "audio only" excluded? I find this rather restricting and down right confusing. Any of you avr enthusiasts care to chime in? What is the big deal in restricting HDMI for Zone 2 or Zone 3? Of course, many avr's do not even offer a Zone 3. Here I am referring to those that do*. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Please Note: Some higher end avr's will allow HDMI audio only for say HDMI in 1-3, but not like HDMI 4-6 and so on. I find this rather confusing as well. If HDMI in 1-3 can be used as a source for Zone 2, then why are 4-6 excluded? is it a DAC issue?:confused::confused::confused:

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
From what I am seeing almost all of the HDMI sources for Zone 2 will be output in 2-CH PCM only. So, then using HDMI does NOT really offer any advantages given that it also will be down-mixed to 2 CH PCM? Must be a DAC issue of some sorts, no?

Cheers,

Phil

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes chipset and DACs. Not cost prohibitive and most consumers dont use the feature.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yes chipset and DACs. Not cost prohibitive and most consumers dont use the feature.
So, you are saying the most consumers don't use Zone 2 or Zone 3 if available? That is not what I have been reading. Just trying to understand why HDMI as a source for Zone 2 is almost always excluded on mid-level avr's. Seems to be very common among the various brands. As mentioned, perhaps it has to do with the DAC. But, not totally sure. That is why I posted this thread.

Cheers,

Phil

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So, you are saying the most consumers don't use Zone 2 or Zone 3 if available? That is not what I have been reading. Just trying to understand why HDMI as a source for Zone 2 is almost always excluded on mid-level avr's. Seems to be very common among the various brands. As mentioned, perhaps it has to do with the DAC. But, not totally sure. That is why I posted this thread.

Cheers,

Phil
Not saying that zones are not used, just not as much as one would think and when used, its typically audio audio only. When denon provided DAC for digital audio in zone 2 it was huge, as most manufacturers still only pass through analog to it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not saying that zones are not used, just not as much as one would think and when used, its typically audio audio only. When denon provided DAC for digital audio in zone 2 it was huge, as most manufacturers still only pass through analog to it.
Well, I plan to use only a set of fronts and a center mainly so I can hear my tv better. Then, power a set of speakers for my desktop via Zone 2. Will not be using any surrounds and/or sub. Really don't watch much tv nowadays, but do like a BR movie every once in a while. Not planning on spending a small fortune either.

I do all of my music listening when on my desktop. Really could careless about HT. Might add a small sealed sub down the road for music only. But, my desktop has HDMI out. Really only need the audio. From what I have been reading even the HDMI/S/PDIF is down-mixed to 2 CH PCM anyways for Zone 2. Guess I should have posted my intentions a bit more clearly.

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, I plan to use only a set of fronts and a center mainly so I can hear my tv better. Then, power a set of speakers for my desktop via Zone 2. Will not be using any surrounds and/or sub. Really don't watch much tv nowadays, but do like a BR movie every once in a while. Not planning on spending a small fortune either.

I do all of my music listening when on my desktop. Really could careless about HT. Might add a small sealed sub down the road for music only. But, my desktop has HDMI out. Really only need the audio. From what I have been reading even the HDMI/S/PDIF is down-mixed to 2 CH PCM anyways for Zone 2. Guess I should have posted my intentions a bit more clearly.

Cheers,

Phil
In he end it all comes down to cost benefit ratio. In order to be a sending device to anything other than a TV, repeater architecture is required, which complex and expensive.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am weighing the cost of an avr that powers Zone 2 and at least allows for S/PDIF sources. HDMI audio would be even better. However, it may be better to do like I had before. That is, a mid-level avr to power a set of bookshelf fronts and a matching center. Then, a 2 CH integrated amp that has a built in DAC to power a set of bookshelfs for my desktop setup.

My goal with the fronts and center combo is to improve dialogue intelligibility only. Just not into HT anymore. Hence, no surrounds and/or a sub will be used. Other than my local news, evening world news, and Kentucky basketball I watch very little tv. But, have been known to watch a few BR movies here and there.

I spend most all of my time listening to music via my desktop. Lately, been using my JBL headphones a lot. Much more so than I ever thought that I would. But, I also like to listen to music using bookshelfs. In short, need something to power my bookshelfs in the near-field albeit my desktop AND power my fronts and center when watching my tv/BR movie.

The question is, however, should I buy a more capable avr that can do as described above or a lower mid-level for my fronts and center that has Zone 2 line-level outs to an integrated 2 CH that has its own DAC? Have learned it is best for me to keep it all SS. Like always, budget is a concern.

Cheers,

Phil

Note: The bookshelfs for my desktop will have a lower sensitivity of 84-86 dB. Please keep in mind that I never listen at absurd levels. But, have been known to rock out a little here and there. Even then, I do not play it at mind boggling levels.:):):)

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am weighing the cost of an avr that powers Zone 2 and at least allows for S/PDIF sources. HDMI audio would be even better. However, it may be better to do like I had before. That is, a mid-level avr to power a set of bookshelf fronts and a matching center. Then, a 2 CH integrated amp that has a built in DAC to power a set of bookshelfs for my desktop setup.

My goal with the fronts and center combo is to improve dialogue intelligibility only. Just not into HT anymore. Hence, no surrounds and/or a sub will be used. Other than my local news, evening world news, and Kentucky basketball I watch very little tv. But, have been known to watch a few BR movies here and there.

I spend most all of my time listening to music via my desktop. Lately, been using my JBL headphones a lot. Much more so than I ever thought that I would. But, I also like to listen to music using bookshelfs. In short, need something to power my bookshelfs in the near-field albeit my desktop AND power my fronts and center when watching my tv/BR movie.

The question is, however, should I buy a more capable avr that can do as described above or a lower mid-level for my fronts and center that has Zone 2 line-level outs to an integrated 2 CH that has its own DAC? Have learned it is best for me to keep it all SS. Like always, budget is a concern.

Cheers,

Phil

Note: The bookshelfs for my desktop will have a lower sensitivity of 84-86 dB. Please keep in mind that I never listen at absurd levels. But, have been known to rock out a little here and there. Even then, I do not play it at mind boggling levels.:):):)
Personally, I never see much need for a zone 2. I prefer to just go with a discrete setup for each listening area.

To your original question, the lack of digi to zone 2 is basically a limitation of the silicon chips available. Costs more to do digi to zone 2, and not many use it anyway.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I never see much need for a zone 2. I prefer to just go with a discrete setup for each listening area.

To your original question, the lack of digi to zone 2 is basically a limitation of the silicon chips available. Costs more to do digi to zone 2, and not many use it anyway.
I agree with you. Just trying to be a bit more conservative with my spending. Right now looking at a few avr's from Onkyo and Yamaha that meet my needs. The good thing is that both have Zone 2 pre-outs which would allow me to add an outboard 2 CH amp should I need more power. Even when using HDMI as a source for Zone 2 it is then mixed down to 2 CH PCM anyways. Even the S/PDIF can do that. In other words the HDMI audio "only" does not offer any real advantages that I see anyways.

Also thinking about ordering me the Emotiva TA-100 integrated amp for my desktop needs AND the Fluance AB40 soundbase for my tv/BR needs. Since I am only trying to improve dialogue intelligibility perhaps the AB40 will suffice. That would put me at a little over $1100 which is not too bad.

Really like the TA-100 b/c it also has a tuner. Sometimes, I listen to my Kentucky basketball games on the radio. That would come in quite handy. Might even add a small sealed sub down the road for my desktop setup. No need for a sub otherwise. Just need to decide which direction is better for me and my needs.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis