Mission QX-2 or Elac Uni-Fi UB5?

N

Nung

Audiophyte
Hi, guys!
Just built my first tube amp. Running a pair of 6L6 and I'll be later swapping for a pair of KT66. It supports both 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm speakers and can pump out 5.5W per channel. So now I'm looking for a pair of nice speakers, and so far, I've narrow down to the Mission QX-2 or the Elac Uni-Fi UB5.
I've listened to the Mission LX-1 which I wasn't particularly impressed but then I listened to the QX-1. Much much much better. The difference was very obvious. Since I know nothing about speaker brands (apart from the ususal commercial stuff, like JBL, Boss.....etc.) I did some more research and found the Elac Uni-Fi UB5 which is supposed to be the best at that price point. Which really got me thinking. For around US$500, I could go for the Mission QX-2, which has a larger driver at 6.5", rather then the 5.25" from the Elac. Naturally, with bigger speaker, the mission should have deeper bass. I do listen to all kind of musics but my favourites are rock, soul & R&B, so I feel deeper bass will suit my taste better.
I've read a lot about how the UB5 is extrememly power hungry and I've sent them an email for advice. Elac replied and comment the amp is able to run the UB5 but suggest to use the 8 Ohm port instead of the 4 Ohm port, since the efficiency of the UB5 is low and the extra voltage from the 8 Ohm port will help.
Here's my dilemma; I do believe both are great speakers, but should I go for the QX-2 which should have deeper bass and it's easier to drive or the UB5, which supposed to be really really great, but not sure if my set up is able to bring out the best of it.
There's a shop that has QX-2 on show, so I'll be able to listen to it but can't find any that carries the UB5, where I live. Anyone able to comment on how they compare?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
5.5 Watts is not a lot!
Among mainstream manufacturers, Klipsch is one of the most efficient, so I would suggest you give them a listen and see how you like them (I think their latest designs are pretty impressive).
I applaud you for building your amp, but it's low power output needs to inform your choice of speakers.

Of the two you have mentioned, I have only heard the UB5's. I was disappointed, but some of that may have been from expecting them to be something special due to all of the hyped reviews they got! They weren't bad speakers, but I did not feel that they outperformed other speakers in the same price range!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd also look for higher sensitivity speakers for such a low powered amp. Where are you located?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Fwiw a pair of R-15m speakers got loud enough to fill a medium sized room with one of those cheap lepai amps from P.E. I think oldskoolstereo on YouTube bench tested it to about 7wpc so 5.5w isn't that far off. IIRC, I managed about 92dB at around 9' without any audible distortion with music.
5.5 Watts is not a lot!
Among mainstream manufacturers, Klipsch is one of the most efficient, so I would suggest you give them a listen and see how you like them (I think their latest designs are pretty impressive).
I applaud you for building your amp, but it's low power output needs to inform your choice of speakers.

Of the two you have mentioned, I have only heard the UB5's. I was disappointed, but some of that may have been from expecting them to be something special due to all of the hyped reviews they got! They weren't bad speakers, but I did not feel that they outperformed other speakers in the same price range!
Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

N

Nung

Audiophyte
5.5 Watts is not a lot!

Yes, it's low on power. I thought it was 10W per channel but after double checking, it's actually 5.5W per channel. It's a simple class A configuration so it's not the most efficient amp. I've hooked it up with a Heco floorstand that my brother has and it's plenty loud. Sounds fairly good, and decent amount of bass. I'll in the future build another amp, this time from scratch, with a higher output power and may buy a digital amp also but yeah, right now, low power is all I have. :p
I was a bit skeptical on all the hype I read on the internet too, after all, I've not yet listened myself. Too much expectation normally results in disappointment. I'll be taking my amp to the shop, see if they'd let me hook it up with the mission. I'll keep an eye out for the Klipsch too. Thanks for the suggestion.

N

Nung

Audiophyte
Fwiw a pair of R-15m speakers got loud enough to fill a medium sized room with one of those cheap lepai amps from P.E. I think oldskoolstereo on YouTube bench tested it to about 7wpc so 5.5w isn't that far off. IIRC, I managed about 92dB at around 9' without any audible distortion with music.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
R-15m! Got it! I'll check it out! Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis