New Fluance Powered Bookshelf Speakers ONLY $199.99!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Fluance has just released a set of powered bookshelf speakers! The Ai40's can be had for only $199.99 a set! They come in a Black, Bamboo, or Walnut finish and a 2-year warranty. Here is a link for those that are interested:

https://www.fluance.com/powered-2-0-bluetooth-active-5-inch-bookshelf-speakers-bamboo#content-Specifications

Cheers,

Phil
Hmmm. The "virtual curve perceived by ear" plot shows an f3 of about 30 Hz. Not bad from a 5" driver in a sealed enclosure...............

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hmmm. The "virtual curve perceived by ear" plot shows an f3 of about 30 Hz. Not bad from a 5" driver in a sealed enclosure...............
"Virtual curve perceived by ear" could mean anything. What it means to me is not to trust that graph. The 100 dB wide scale doesn't help their cause either.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the FR Response curve looks way too good to be true. Have seen the JBL 305's go for $99 dollars each. It is a no brainer on what most will choose inmho. Just saying......

Cheers,

Phil

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
"Virtual curve perceived by ear" could mean anything. What it means to me is not to trust that graph. The 100 dB wide scale doesn't help their cause either.
Now surely you're not doubting the accuracy and relevance of manufacturer speaker specifications......

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
IIRC, I got an email a month or so ago regarding these new powered speakers w/an introductory price of only $99! Evidently it got marked as spam and was deleted. Now they are $199! The JBL 305's would be a much better investment inmho.

Cheers,

Phil

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
IIRC, I got an email a month or so ago regarding these new powered speakers w/an introductory price of only $99! Evidently it got marked as spam and was deleted. Now they are $199! The JBL 305's would be a much better investment inmho.

Cheers,

Phil
I'm pretty sure that's $199 each - not per pair. I think the reviewer was wrong.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm pretty sure that's $199 each - not per pair. I think the reviewer was wrong.
Just spoke with Whitney@Fluance and she said the price of $199.99 is for the pair. Just wanted to make sure that the correct pricing is posted. :):):) Good to see you Char. Have not seen you around much lately. Hope all is well.

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, the FR Response curve looks way too good to be true. Have seen the JBL 305's go for $99 dollars each. It is a no brainer on what most will choose inmho. Just saying......

Cheers,

Phil
I would not be so sure. The JBL 305 according to Sweetwater is discontinued and out of stock. Looking at dealers, the JBLs were $299 per pair and not $99. They were sold as a single speakers, so the pair double.

Now the JBL is ported, with 41 watts + 41 watts. The Fluance is sealed with 35 + 35 watts. So not only are both speakers powered but active.

Now the Fluance I think has a woofer with a Q on the high side, as there is ripple at cut off, not much, but some. I would bet the Fluance is equalized to extend the bass response. You can not Eq a ported speaker. Also a sealed design has a higher F3, but roll off is 12 db per octave and not 24 db. So that means despite the higher F3, the sealed usually has more low bass.

You can actually see the bass is equalized. The roll of is 24 db per octave, so they have extended the bass and then place a high pass filter 12 db per octave to prevent over excursion.

I agree you never trust a loudspeaker manufacturer, but I would bet the main advantage of the JBL would be higher spl, but almost certainly unless Fluance have totally doctored the graph, the Fluance is the better sounding of the two.

If I were going to market a small bookshelf it absolutely would be a sealed design, active with bass Eq to extend the low end.

I would not market it at those prices though. To do this design properly would require a very well designed and built mid/woofer with large xmax.

The real message is that amps now do really belong in speakers. The absolute worst place for amps is in receivers. This trend will hopefully now pick up speed. This is long overdue.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah the JBL 305's are rather hard to find nowadays. They have been replaced with the JBL 305P MK II's for $149 each! Likewise, the JBL 308's were replaced with the JBL 308P MK II's. Interestingly, JBL has also come out with an all new JBL 306P which employs a 6.5" mid.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCcmFuZCI6WyJKQkwiXX19

Not long ago the 305's were still available and could be had for only $99 each. I ended up buying (2) sets myself. Been impressed w/the 305's, but I much prefer the 530's myself which are not active. It will be interesting to see just how well Fluance's new active speakers do. Only time will tell.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dr. Mark,
I am not a fan of Fluance because their business model seems to be based on misinforming their customers.
To that end, you have made an incorrect (though reasonable) assumption about these speakers!

Now the JBL is ported, with 41 watts + 41 watts. The Fluance is sealed with 35 + 35 watts. So not only are both speakers powered but active.
The Fluance is not active. The specifications on their website make it likely you would think so; however, if you look at the included accessories, there is "8 foot 18 gauge speaker wire" listed (to go between the speakers). The video of the rear panel below makes it clear that the speaker with the amps has one pair of speaker terminals on the back to feed the other speaker, thus it cannot be an active crossover! The Fluance appears to be 35Watts per channel instead of 35W for the woofer and 35W for the tweeter.

If I were going to market a small bookshelf it absolutely would be a sealed design, active with bass Eq to extend the low end.

I would not market it at those prices though. To do this design properly would require a very well designed and built mid/woofer with large xmax.

The real message is that amps now do really belong in speakers. The absolute worst place for amps is in receivers. This trend will hopefully now pick up speed. This is long overdue.
Good information in these comments. I would like to see a sealed active speaker like you describe!

In the following video, go to 1min 22sec to see a close view of the back panel!
While you are there, look for the Made in China label (which isn't there) and note the prominent Canadian flag and "Designed and Engineered in Canada" label that are there. I honestly was under the impression that the "Made in China" label was required to be on the product itself by law!
In the absence of a "Made in China" label, I suspect most people would be deceived to believe this product was made in Canada! Furthermore I believe that is exactly Fluance's intent!

Additionally when Dennis Murphy reworked the crossover for a pair of their Signature Series, he found that he could not use the same crossover design for the R & L speakers because there was too much variation between the drivers. For his initial review, Gene discovered that the tweeters were wired out-of-phase from the woofers and the crossover was of poor design. They did implement corrections once he contacted them, but the idea that a speaker company would put a speaker in production which measured and sounded so poor as to indicate major problems is troubling.

Since then, ShadyJ has reviewed the Signature Series and he says they are good speakers, so I suspect they are no longer so poor as the original production models.
However, between the indication of poor oversight/quality control/consistency, general lack of technical expertise, and willingness to deceive their customers; I have no interest in, or respect for, Fluance!
Maybe you already figured that out!:rolleyes:

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Just spoke with Whitney@Fluance and she said the price of $199.99 is for the pair. Just wanted to make sure that the correct pricing is posted. :):):) Good to see you Char. Have not seen you around much lately. Hope all is well.

Cheers,

Phil
Well that's a deal!

All's well. I'm on another audio forum and only check back here occasionally and often don't say anything. Too much time on the internet, you know......

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well that's a deal!

All's well. I'm on another audio forum and only check back here occasionally and often don't say anything. Too much time on the internet, you know......
Yeah, I see you over at AVS all of the time. Usually posting in the Philharmonic Audio thread. Just good to see you here as well. I also agree in that the net is quite addicting.....LOL!!!! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Mark Henninger over @AVS just posted his review of the Fluance Ai40's. Here is a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/review-fluance-ai40-2-0-aptx-bluetooth-speaker-system/

Cheers,

Phil
That's a very good review. I was wondering where they sourced that bass mid. I think it is by Peerless. The price is right about $30 a pop. The T/S parameters would give that type of response in a sealed box. Qts slightly on the high side at 0.42 as I was surmising. It would cross at the specified frequency of 2.6 Hz. With a little bass Eq it would meet the measurements the reviewer found. x-max is nearly 0.5 cm which is very good for a small woofer at that price.

I'm not surprised the reviewer liked those speakers. I think that is a small speaker that would not make a sub compulsory. Good job Fluance. If that can get known it should be a popular speaker to suit a multitude of applications. I especially agree with the reviewer that it would be far superior to a sound bar.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I agree that Mark did a great job with his review. However, I am a bit bothered by the specs. For example, it claims a 40-20K frequency response that adds "DSP Virtual Sound Perceived by Ear". That really bothers me. Then, if you look at the graph it looks almost too good to be true, no?

I know that smoothing is used extensively nowadays, but to what level is considered too much? My guess is that Fluance is using a very high degree of smoothing here. But, as always I could be wrong. Moreover, at what +/-dB will the Ai40's play at 40 hz and or at 20K respectively.

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I agree that Mark did a great job with his review. However, I am a bit bothered by the specs. For example, it claims a 40-20K frequency response that adds "DSP Virtual Sound Perceived by Ear". That really bothers me. Then, if you look at the graph it looks almost too good to be true, no?

I know that smoothing is used extensively nowadays, but to what level is considered too much? My guess is that Fluance is using a very high degree of smoothing here. But, as always I could be wrong. Moreover, at what +/-dB will the Ai40's play at 40 hz and or at 20K respectively.

Cheers,

Phil
First the bass. The review you linked shows the reviewer measured a -3db point of 46 Hz, which for a speaker of that size and price is a huge achievement. That means it really does not need a sub for most music as it is 2 Hz above the fundamental of the 16 ft Principal organ stop.

There must be a high pass filter mid thirties for protection as the response is falling away faster than a sealed design usually would below f3. However that was sensible design.

The reviewer measures a very flat response to 4 KHz, and a slow rise above peaking at 6 db. However that was near field and did not show in the slightly more distant field.

Yes, in the response shown there is a lot of smoothing going on. However I suspect this speaker actually sounds very good and pulls well above its price. I would suspect there are a lot of poorer performers well above the price of these, lots and lots I suspect.

It seems to me that some very sound and intelligent design compromises were made.

Too make a good speaker for very little money you have to be very creative. These are speakers I would really like to audition and review formally.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
First the bass. The review you linked shows the reviewer measured a -3db point of 46 Hz, which for a speaker of that size and price is a huge achievement. That means it really does not need a sub for most music as it is 2 Hz above the fundamental of the 16 ft Principal organ stop.

There must be a high pass filter mid thirties for protection as the response is falling away faster than a sealed design usually would below f3. However that was sensible design.

The reviewer measures a very flat response to 4 KHz, and a slow rise above peaking at 6 db. However that was near field and did not show in the slightly more distant field.

Yes, in the response shown there is a lot of smoothing going on. However I suspect this speaker actually sounds very good and pulls well above its price. I would suspect there are a lot of poorer performers well above the price of these, lots and lots I suspect.

It seems to me that some very sound and intelligent design compromises were made.

Too make a good speaker for very little money you have to be very creative. These are speakers I would really like to audition and review formally.
Very informative here. Have learned a lot from your posts over the years. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Perhaps, Shady will get around to checking them out for us all to see what he concludes. That would make for an interesting read no doubt. In the mean time, maybe you can get around to checking them out as well. Fluance does offer free shipping both ways.:):):)

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Very informative here. Have learned a lot from your posts over the years. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Perhaps, Shady will get around to checking them out for us all to see what he concludes. That would make for an interesting read no doubt. In the mean time, maybe you can get around to checking them out as well. Fluance does offer free shipping both ways.:):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I would never order a product knowing full well I would return it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis