Cinema style loudspeakers for home

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Klipsch THX Ultra2 speaker:

The KL-650-THX's listening-window response measures +1.00/–0.87 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-thx-ultra2-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures#XkLrO7VKZO5JMCqp.99

Extremely accurate, high sensitivity, THX Ultra2 Certified.

If you can find a dealer who is willing to give you a great deal (dealer cost is 50% MSRP), might be worth considering.

Or wait until next Black Friday to see if RBH has another 78% off sale on the old SX-T1 speakers, which was around $575 each. :D
Better to go with regular reference premiere. Most of those also measure extremely accurate and have similar efficiency, in addition the newer horn design sounds a lot more transparent and less fatiguing as well. The thx stuff is overpriced.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Better to go with regular reference premiere. Most of those also measure extremely accurate and have similar efficiency, in addition the newer horn design sounds a lot more transparent and less fatiguing as well. The thx stuff is overpriced.

Listening Window is not as good as the THX, but still pretty good.

The RP-150M’s listening-window response measures +2.85/–0.85 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.

The THX-speaker is +1.00/–0.87 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-150m-speaker-system-review-test-bench#vuXtTJTviPfHhMX6.99

Sensitivity is 88dB for RP-series vs 92dB/w/m for THX-series. I don't think the OP wants anything less than 92dB/w/m, if anything he probably wants more than that.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The larger towers have higher sensitivity and cost less is my point. I just personally am of the opinion that the cost of the THX speakers is way inflated for what you get.

Obviously it depends on room size, but I have no issue achieving undistorted reference level playback using Rp-160ms.
Listening Window is not as good as the THX, but still pretty good.

The RP-150M’s listening-window response measures +2.85/–0.85 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.

The THX-speaker is +1.00/–0.87 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-150m-speaker-system-review-test-bench#vuXtTJTviPfHhMX6.99

Sensitivity is 88dB for RP-series vs 92dB/w/m for THX-series. I don't think the OP wants anything less than 92dB/w/m, if anything he probably wants more than that.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The larger towers have higher sensitivity and cost less is my point. I just personally am of the opinion that the cost of the THX speakers is way inflated for what you get.

Obviously it depends on room size, but I have no issue achieving undistorted reference level playback using Rp-160ms.

For some the THX spec insures certain requirements are met and with speakers and subs that's nice to know when there are no third party measurements are available. The Klipsch THX series for HT can be cleanly driven to reference levels and more with very low distortion.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
True, but I have personally tested the RP-160m using an Omnimic at a distance of about 10' in a 2000 cu ft room, at 105dB, THD remained below 5% using an 80wpc Denon AVR. I can only imagine the larger variants would do even better in a larger room.

I have nothing against the Klipsch THX, I just know other speakers from them can achieve similar performance without the high price tag of the THX.

For that matter, a single KL-650 costs around $1500, a pair of b-stock RF-7 III can be found for $2500, and would completely pulverize the KL-650 into a fine paste when compared on output and headroom.
For some the THX spec insures certain requirements are met and with speakers and subs that's nice to know when there are no third party measurements are available. The Klipsch THX series for HT can be cleanly driven to reference levels and more with very low distortion.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For that matter, a single KL-650 costs around $1500, a pair of b-stock RF-7 III can be found for $2500, and would completely pulverize the KL-650 into a fine paste when compared on output and headroom.
What about KL-650 b-stock? :D

Well, there are different factors to consider. Price is a big one. Some dealers might offer a bigger discount on the KL-650.

But another big factor is accuracy.

Listening Window FR of +1.0/ -0.87 dB is better than 99.9% of all speakers ever measured!

That is huge bragging rights. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis