Smaller temp sub for appartment

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
Hi all, I will be purchasing Focal 706 bookshelves and a NAD C 316BEE strictly for music, I want to extend the Focals thought because they roll at 57hz I believe. However, I'm in an appartment and don't want to be evicted so do not want to go into the 20s, it is for music only as well.

I'm thinking cheap because likely I will want something nice later on when I move.

So far I've come across Paradigm (everywhere, I'm in Canada) Polk and Kanto (I don't know this company).

I think I can get away with a not so flat cheaper sub for now as I will feed it from a DDRC-24 so some of it can be corrected and a good sub can't fix a crap room anyway. The NAD doesn't have pre out for sub but at it's price I can get this miniDSP and play around with EQ which should be fun

Suggestions very welcome! TY!

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The Dayton subs are flat and cheap. Something like a sub 1000 will get down to about 30hz.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Dayton subs are flat and cheap. Something like a sub 1000 will get down to about 30hz.

I would look for sub 1200 tho as they both are so cheap.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Heck just get the Dayton SUB1500, not that much more :) But does Dayton/Parts-Express have an outlet in Canada or will ship there at reasonable expense?

Kanto I've not even heard of...got a link to what you're looking at?

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
https://kantoaudio.com/product/sub8/

Here's what I've seen around, I guess they're a small outfit out of Coquitlam BC which explains why it is so much cheaper locally. Doesn't really seem impressive but the place I picked up my Focal 706 from had their powered speakers so maybe they're not terrible

I think brands like Dayton and HSU are not the easiest or cheapest to acquire here because I had that issue last time I shopped for audio and ended up with an SVS, which was sweet but would provably guarantee an eviction from my current place

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
Scratch that Dayton can be had cheap off Amazon.. somehow I hate buying audio equipment off Amazon though

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Scratch that Dayton can be had cheap off Amazon.. somehow I hate buying audio equipment off Amazon though
Why? Don't they have easy return policy up there like here?

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
They do yeah,but I'd like to be able to just drive it back to the store if I had to. I'll consider it because people don't have very good things to say about the budget polks and paradigms, kanto nobody knows much about them. There are also a few Yamahas for cheap. Otherwise I'll have to spend double or so on a better sub which I wanted to avoid

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
Probably a dumb question but how would a Dayton 800 or 1000 (~200Cdn) compare to a Paradigm Pdr80 (299Cdn) or if I wanted to spend more (I have a problem ;) ) and say go with a B&W ASW608 (600) or Sunfire sds8 (490). The extension I can figure from specs but I don't know how well they actually perform. I do plan to equalize with Dirac btw, I'm thinking user reviews mentioning muddy sound are often just bad rooms with no EQ and professional reviews don't cover cheapo models I noticed.

I've a headache, I need to decide on something

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
Ok so I've made a list, which would you choose?

Dayton 800 or 1000 (~200Cdn)
Paradigm Pdr-80 (299Cdn)
Kanto s8(350Cdn)
Polk Psw111(289Cdn)
Fluance db10(270cdn)

B&W ASW650(380Cdn)
Sunfire sds8 (490Cdn)
Wharfdale wh d8 (450Cdn)
KEF C4 (400Cdn)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Ok so I've made a list, which would you choose?

Dayton 800 or 1000 (~200Cdn)
Paradigm Pdr-80 (299Cdn)
Kanto s8(350Cdn)
Polk Psw111(289Cdn)
Fluance db10(270cdn)

B&W ASW650(380Cdn)
Sunfire sds8 (490Cdn)
Wharfdale wh d8 (450Cdn)
KEF C4 (400Cdn)
Not the Polk that's for sure. If you're trying to keep the cost down, I can't say enough good about the Dayton when it comes to budget subs. They're inexpensive, are completely flat across their bandwidth, suffer no port noise/audible distortion, and will get reasonably loud despite their lower power amps.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Dayton subs really are very good budget subs. I was actually surprised at the capability of the slim 10" from them.

J

jid

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all for trying to help me! In the end I went into a local shop and just ended up picking up a Sunfire sds10. They had a sale and the fact that I could just grab it and go home sold me on it. Definately not the best bang for the buck as far as dollar value is concerned compared to ID stuff but a very nice product. I did some research before going there and although not very popular there were response graphs I came across which were quite decent. It's pretty cool, small for a 10", passive woofer on the bottom and it looks and sounds good in my room. Starts to roll in mid 30s so it's not for everybody but in my situation that is perfect. No regrets buying this.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Jid, Have you looked at Kijijji? I recently bought an Energy XL-S8, an 8 inch sub for $85 to give bottom end to a pair of PSB Mites that can plummet down to 70 Hz. Check out my post Plan C in the General Audio tab.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks all for trying to help me! In the end I went into a local shop and just ended up picking up a Sunfire sds10. They had a sale and the fact that I could just grab it and go home sold me on it. Definately not the best bang for the buck as far as dollar value is concerned compared to ID stuff but a very nice product. I did some research before going there and although not very popular there were response graphs I came across which were quite decent. It's pretty cool, small for a 10", passive woofer on the bottom and it looks and sounds good in my room. Starts to roll in mid 30s so it's not for everybody but in my situation that is perfect. No regrets buying this.
Congrats. That'll work too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis