Two ELAC S12EQ vs One SVS PB16-Ultra and upgrading confusions

J

john20182050

Audioholic
I can't afford to get two SVS PB16-Ultra. Right now I have one VTF-3 MK5 HP.

This is my current 5.1 setup

• JBL Studio 570 front tower speakers
  • JBL Studio 530 Surround speakers
  • JBL Studio 520C centre speaker
  • Sub - VTF-3 MK5 HP
  • Denon x4000 receiver
It's not in a separate media room. My room is great room model with size about 26ft in length and 35ft in width. The left half of the room is where I have placed my 5.1 . In the right half, I have the kitchen. No walls in between.

Now I want some upgrade because I want to have 3.1 or 2.1 in the workout room. So, the above changes to the below. But I'm super confused on the red lines

Living Room (Movies and Music) 5.1

• KEF R500. (Placed order already. Waiting for its arrival)
  • KEF R200c ($700) or Prime Center($350) or Ultra Center($700)? Or just keep JBL Studio 520C and just have 2.1 in the workout room
  • JBL Studio 530 Surround speakers (Just reuse existing)
  • Buy another Denon x4000 or Denon AVR-S730H (Is this powerful enough?) or something else?
  • Buy Two ELAC S12EQ or stretch and get One SVS PB16-Ultra
Workout Room (Music only) 2.1 or 3.1
  • Use existing JBL Studio 570 front tower speakers
  • Use existing JBL Studio 520C centre speaker for 3.1 or just use 2.1
  • Sub - VTF-3 MK5 HP
  • Use Denon x4000 receiver or keep this for living room buy something else for workout room
Please provide some advice on this. It's so confusing to me.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
The VTF-MK3 is a great sub and you should keep in the HT room, there is no reason to change. For the workout room since you just want music you can get a PA sub that are perfect for music, like this - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1200DPRO--behringer-eurolive-b1200d-pro-500w-12-inch-powered-subwoofer.

Keep the Denon in the main HT room as well. For the music room get any old receiver from ac4l.com for <$200.

The workout room should just be 2.1. Music doesn't need center channel.

btw the SVS subwoofers are overpriced and I would never get the Elac subs. If you really want to add another sub to the main room, you can look into another HSU, or look at brands like Rhytmik, Outlaw.

J

john20182050

Audioholic
The VTF-MK3 is a great sub and you should keep in the HT room, there is no reason to change. For the workout room since you just want music you can get a PA sub that are perfect for music, like this - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1200DPRO--behringer-eurolive-b1200d-pro-500w-12-inch-powered-subwoofer.

Keep the Denon in the main HT room as well. For the music room get any old receiver from ac4l.com for <$200.

The workout room should just be 2.1. Music doesn't need center channel.

btw the SVS subwoofers are overpriced and I would never get the Elac subs. If you really want to add another sub to the main room, you can look into another HSU, or look at brands like Rhytmik, Outlaw.
Thanks. you make a lot of sense. Good suggestion

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Also I'm not sure the KEF will be better than your JBL. I'd highly recommend keeping the entire JBL lineup as it is. Do you not like how they sound?
Thanks. you make a lot of sense. Good suggestion
You're welcome. I'd go further and suggest you get PA speaker + sub for the workout room since its not critical listening and those speakers are designed to be robust and play loud.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis